Wicking the Bulb 15 oz. Jars from The JarStore

Firstly, let me say that I am new to candle making. That being said I have been trying to figure out which wick/wicks to use in the 15 oz Bulb jars from the JarStore, and am having a really hard time with it. I am currently using the Greenleaf 70/30 (which I really like so far) and the C-3 wax that Lone Star carries. I have tried the Eco 10 through 14 from Lone Star; they work but develop really large mushrooms. Also, I have tried the a single CD 12 and double wicking CD 7s ... The 7's ended up drowning, and the 12 burnt kind of fast. I have also tried the hemp wicks (all single, and double wicking the smallest) from Natures Garden. So far, I find that the middle hemp wick produces the best melt pool, but has a tendency to mushroom. I have a sampler of the LX wicks coming, so they may be my salvation :)

I guess my question is, after all that rambling, has anyone else tried using these jars? Also which wick/wicks turned out the best? Lastly, with a container that changes diameter as the candle burns am I to expect mushrooms and other small wick problems to occur?

Thanks

Aithin

I'm working on trying to wick the 9 oz bulb jar with the GL 70/30 and their pure soy. So far I have tried LX 14, and 16 double wicked and melt pool is still too small. My next is to try LX-18 double wicked and some cottons I have on hand. I don't know the diameter of your jar but you may end up double wicking also.

I also just recieved my 15 oz bulb jar from the jar store but I havn't started testing yet. I was planning to start with an HTP 83. I use HTP 73 with several other slightly smaller jars and they work well for me. The wax I use is Joywax from NG. I haven't tried the hemp wicks. I'd be ineterested to hear what works for you. I love the bulb jars.

• 2 months later...
I'm working on trying to wick the 9 oz bulb jar with the GL 70/30 and their pure soy. So far I have tried LX 14, and 16 double wicked and melt pool is still too small. My next is to try LX-18 double wicked and some cottons I have on hand. I don't know the diameter of your jar but you may end up double wicking also.
How is the wicking for this jar going for you? I'm starting from scratch, using GB464, 9 oz frosted bulb jar. Any wick suggestions? Do you think double wicking is the way to go with this jar?

Don't use your jar, but ...

The LXs are going to mushroom in the 70/30 - even without color and FO. 70% of it is soy - so that will happen. It might be less for you though than the Hemps, RRDs, and ECOs.

The hemps will mushroom - but give you a nice melt pool, the RRDs will do the same. The CDs seemed to work best as far as the mushrooming is concerned - assuming you can live with an uneven melt pool and one side of the glass getting hot. I just personally don't like it.

I've had a bit better luck with the ECO than you did, but still mushrooming, it or the LX may be my wick of choice though with 70/30.

How about going down a size in the 70/30 to a CD10?

Per your other question - expect more than the usual amount of mushrooming IMO:

1. Wick is too big

2. FO load is high

3. Part or all soy wax being used

4. Power burning

5. First time wick is being burned

Guest candelecandlecompany

I use these jars a lot and I double wick the with eco 4. If I trim them the way they are supposed to be before I burn the candle I don't have any mushrooming. I use the C3 wax also.

I tried single wicking and with the scents we use, it just didn't work out.

I really like the look of these jars, so I purchased some, 3.5 oz, 6 oz, 10 oz and 16 oz. The diameter goes from 2 1/2" all the way to 4". Any suggestions on wicking? Types of wicks, double wicking? What do you think? I am also using Cargill NatureWax C-3.

Guest candelecandlecompany

I could tell you what I usually use---and I use C3 as well. But in the end it depends on the quality of scent you use as well as the wick and the wax. Our scents are very concentrated (helps us keep the price down) so sometimes we use bigger wicks...then again just depends on the scent. I always try to double wick for 15 and 16 oz--triple wick for larger candles. I do double wick some smaller candles. You just have to make sure the wick isin't too big (burns too fast) or too small (drowns out). Just experiment and have fun.

We use about all of their jars......I just love them and so do my customers!

The LX-30 is for a 4.5" to 5" diameter, and your 10 oz bulb jar is smaller than those diameters. It actually worked well? Did it melt down faster than normal? I am debating on getting the LX-30 or the LX-21 for my 10 oz bulb jar. I am also using GW464 and Cargill Naturewax C-3.