I have a question for all The Bath Bomb Queens and Kings!!!

cozyaromas

I saw this mold while doing my daily search one ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8278786176&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr2_PcY_BIN_IT

Currently, I've been making my bath bombs out of soap molds, mainly ones with a ocean or sea creature mold. I would like to try to make some round balls, and was wondering if this mold was worth the price. This particular mold is the size of a tennis ball, but they also carry smaller molds as well. Do you think it's worth it or should I just go ahead and get a meatball roller or even those ornament balls from oriental trading?

Thanks for any advice or direction.

NOT a bath bomb queen here -- mine work but I still haven't figured out how to consistently keep some of them from getting little cracks -- but that looks cool.

Personally I'm content with a regular meatball size, because that seems to give enough water softener and moisturizer in my bath, and a long enough fizz. But I can see where the giant ones would be kind of fun to try! One of my problems is that I don't have a tub in my bathroom so I don't get to take too many baths! LOL

Now if I can just keep the roughly 50% of my bombs from getting li'l cracks ... LOL. Usually about half get 'em and half don't. Go figure. I've even tried the "fool proof" methods and recipes and managed to screw them right up. heh heh heh

I am not a queen either, but I make the bigger ones than the meatballer and just use the plastic molds from Michaels, they are maybe a buck or so. The ebay mold looks nice but it is basically the same thing as the plastic one but more expensive. I made 40 bombs yesterday and about 100 over the weekend and the plastic one is going strong!!!

I am not spending more than $1 until I get the expensive bomb press and that will be awhile.

If you do decide to go with that mold let us know how it performs.

Michelle

WOW that is cool, but pricey! I haven't made these yet, but that lady who is selling them gives lots of pointers on making them, so that's nice. :)

I wonder if the plastic ones do give out over time like this lady stated? Plus you could basically stick the two halves in a vice to press them together LOL

Someday I'm gonna try these bombs, they are all the rage here. ;)

You know, ebayers like that really leave a bad taste in my mouth. They all have "something" to make your bathbombs work don't they?

Bottom line for bathbombs is this:

YOU HAVE TO HAVE A GOOD RECIPE.

This recipe has to be rock hard, non crumbly, non cracking, non fizzing, etc. Just because you buy something, it won't make you a better bathbomb maker.

When I first started my bathbombs it took me 8 months of testing my recipe and batch sizes before I got something I was happy with - even then I moved to another location and had to tweak it here and there. Sheesh, the weather changes and I even have to tweak it - so not even I have the perfect bathbomb recipe.

Save yourself some trouble and mess around with recipes and little tupperware containers. If you come up with a recipe that doesn't break, crack or crumble, then get serious about getting something to make your life easier.

...I say this to you as I sit and look at this Willow Press I've used once - but threw it aside when I proved that making them by meatballer saved me 5-7 seconds on each one.

I'm not even close to being the court jester on these, but I like my little $0.66 60mm plastic ornament from Hobby Lobby. (They are on sale this week too, 1/3 off.) I get a nice sized 4 oz. bomb from them.

Kristine's right, once you get a recipe down that works for you it's pretty easy. I'm still tweaking mine to find a less greasy alternative, but overall, my recipe kicks ass for the moment. I have the occasional burp, but it's happening less and less.

I can't use a melon baller... it kills my hands.

Kristine-

I was so hoping you would respond to this thread, I've visited your site a numerous amount of times and you are indeed the queen of the bathbombs. Matter of fact, I was on your site earlier looking at a 6 pack of bath boms, but couldn't determine which ones I wanted to order, any suggestions???

I feel so assured when I see what you said, about having a good receipe. Afterall it really wouldn't matter if I bought this steel mold if my receipe was crappy, and my bombs weren't rock hard but fell apart. It would be a waste of time. I really like making bath bombs, I know I need to tweak my receipe a little so that I can be completely satisfied with them, but I will take your advice to heart and start off with a couple of ornament balls, and a meatballer. I still can't believe that you do all of your bombs with just a meatballer, I just knew you would have a press like that automatically pops those bad boys out.

Thanks again for everyone's advice, I really appreciate it!!!! Hopefully, I'll have some ready for the next swap, that I'll be proud to show off!!!

Bottom line for bathbombs is this:

YOU HAVE TO HAVE A GOOD RECIPE.

This recipe has to be rock hard, non crumbly, non cracking, non fizzing, etc. Just because you buy something, it won't make you a better bathbomb maker.

Save yourself some trouble and mess around with recipes and little tupperware containers. If you come up with a recipe that doesn't break, crack or crumble, then get serious about getting something to make your life easier.

...I say this to you as I sit and look at this Willow Press I've used once - but threw it aside when I proved that making them by meatballer saved me 5-7 seconds on each one.

I agree with Jenny, once you have a solid recipe under your belt, you can press them out in seconds. I personally use a metal mold and I just did 800 bombs in 1 1/2 weeks! My bombs are slightly bigger; diameter of 3-3.5 inches and weighs 3.5 ounces. It took 4 months to get a recipe suited for me and my climate.

HTH

Shani

Wow :shocked2: 800 bombs that's alot!!!! I couldn't imagine doing that many in just a 1-1/2 weeks.

I agree with Jenny, once you have a solid recipe under your belt, you can press them out in seconds. I personally use a metal mold and I just did 800 bombs in 1 1/2 weeks! My bombs are slightly bigger; diameter of 3-3.5 inches and weighs 3.5 ounces. It took 4 months to get a recipe suited for me and my climate.

HTH

Shani

Why does everyone think that bath bombs are so hard to make? Now, I don't profess to be any kind of professional (I just started to make these about 2 months ago), but I've never had a problem with mine being too crumbly, soft etc. I thought they were so easy and all my testers just loved them. I have tried several different recipes too and everyone turned out great IMO. Now watch though, I probably have jinxed myself. :cry2: They may not look that great but work well. I just want to make bigger balls for those that have a really large tub. I liked that one on ebay and that is sort of what I want since it will never crack or break, but I wouldn't pay that price. I want a mold that I can get a really smooth texture with, if that makes sense. I have a meatballer that works great and the size is perfect my tub. Isn't it funny how what is difficult for one person can be so easy for the next? For me, I totally hate to make votives and can be very votive challenged.

Mine are totally fine in terms of working correctly in the tub too. But some look smooth and beautiful, and sometimes a few develop small cracks. So I'm working on appearance issues now.

I think the progression for making things is often, for me anyway, funtional first. Then tweak for appearance after you've mastered functional. LOL

Mine are totally fine in terms of working correctly in the tub too. But some look smooth and beautiful, and sometimes a few develop small cracks. So I'm working on appearance issues now.

I think the progression for making things is often, for me anyway, funtional first. Then tweak for appearance after you've mastered functional. LOL

I totally understand what you are saying as I feel the same way. My problem now is the appearance issue but I know I will succeed at that and you will too.