GW474 Votive Result Thread

I normally am a Mad Scientist but I opted to not test the 474. I am too focused right now on testing my jars to divert attention to votives, and thought it was best to not to take away a free sample from someone who could really use it.

Besides, my votive cups are very dirty and I haven't made mrs geek clean them yet ;)

//end sexist pig comment

geek :laugh2:

I normally am a Mad Scientist but I opted to not test the 474. I am too focused right now on testing my jars to divert attention to votives, and thought it was best to not to take away a free sample from someone who could really use it.

Besides, my votive cups are very dirty and I haven't made mrs geek clean them yet ;)

//end sexist pig comment

geek :laugh2:

Me too, I don't have time now either and didn't want to hold a sample for too long. Soy votives can be such a pain. I was even thinking of going to a paraffin votive wax. Anxious to hear how this does.

I want to thank Jason for allowing me to test the 474 votive wax. Here is what I did:

4oz 474 Room Environment:

.25oz Cinnamon Vanilla Temp 70*

4 drops EVO Burgundy Humidity 30%

Heat to 180* added FO and color, poured at 160* The cold throw right out of the mold is amazing strong! Will remelt and try a lower pour temp.

The one on the left was poured in a room temp mold. There were hairline cracks when cooled. Minimum frosting.

The right one in a warmed mold and a styrofoam cup placed over it. No cracks but pitting on the top and more frosting.

474test16dc.jpg

I'm not sure how to post a picture so I'll just explain how my votives came out with the 474 wax. I used 6 oz 474 wax, 7% FO, 1/2 blue soy dye chip from candle science, Heated wax & dye chip together to 180 added FO cooled to 150 and poured into unheated votive molds. This morning I checked them and I have frost, holes & cracks by the wick pin. I took them out of the molds and all 3 of them have jump lines all around them. The cold throw is very good. But I plan on melting them down some time today and heat my molds and try pouring at a different temp, ,maybe 160 this time. I will post as soon as I get them repoured. HTH Cindy/WI

Room temp (70* humidity 35%), remelted and poured at 150* in unheated molds and did not cover them. They are setting up now but showing signs of cracking at the wick pin and the tops are rippling like the one on the right in my pic above. The interesting thing is the smoothest top so far for me is pouring at 160* in room temp mold uncovered. Shame it cracked. When I can unmold them I will try again at a lower temp to see if this works. I think I’ll try another scent/color too to see if I get the same results.

Chris

Hi,

I poured the votives today. :) Thank you Jason for sending me a sample, I sure appreciate it. :)

Here is what I did: Heated 6.5 oz wax to 180, added my color ~ a few pieces of blue dye flakes, added FO ~ 5/8 oz of Caramel Pecan Mousse from JS, poured at 150. The cold throw is outstanding!! :yay: I am not too pleased with the appearance though. :( I have cracks and frost. The frost I can handle *somewhat* but the cracks have got to go. I want to remelt tomorrow - I am not sure how to proceed. Anyone know what to try next?

I will attach a picture. :)

post-3380-139458399589_thumb.jpg

OMG - I AM IN LOVE!!!! :yay:

This is my first time working with a soy votive wax and I have got to say it was a very positive experience! Thank you, Jason, for sending me the sample.

My notes are at the "shop" (my friend's basement...:cool2: ) so I will go by my memory....very scary.....

I did two votives and a partial tart...heated 5 oz wax to about 180-185, poured into warmed glass pour pot, added some leftover GL Energizer FO (approx 3/8 oz) and two drops blue dye, poured at 155 into cold molds.

Except for a ring around the wick on one of them, these babies are smooth and BEAUTIFUL - no frosting, no cracking - and they popped right out of the molds. The tart is perfect, and the cold throw is wonderful.

I am going to let them cure for a few days. I will let you know how they burn.

here we go--here's my description...

on the + side: excellent release from the mold. even the wick pins came out without taking a hunk of the bottom with it!!!

NO CRACKS :yay:

on the - side: ALOT of frosting :cry2: (even w/a light color)

I think I melted too hot though- accidentally got temp up to almost

200:mad: (only planned on going to 175 max). Added a light color (Coral) and FO @ 160, and poured @ 150. Covered w/a box.

So how do we "fix" the frosting issue J ??

burned my first one today...perhaps I may wick up w/this wax??? used an LX12, which is what I use w/my votives--left a bit of wax actually--maybe this is the wax I need for my pillars!! ( I cannot wick them right )

I guess the hot throw is really good, since I don't really know how good a throw you should get w/a votive

Okay I have one test done.

Heated to 175 added vanilla color block, French Vanilla FO, cooled a little to long and poured at 140. Cooled completely out on the counter. Came out of mold with no problems.

:yay: No cracking and No frosting :yay: :yay: :yay:

Ok- Here's what I did:

4 oz. wax

0.25 oz. fo (Warm Van. Sugar)

1/2 Peaks maple dye chip

Melted wax and dye chip together to 180*. Added fo at approx. 175*. Poured between 155* to 157* into room temp. molds with wick pins. Cooled at room temperature, which was 72.5* at the the time. DID NOT cover.

There was the tiniest bit of shrinking. Ended up with very small cracks near the wick pin as others have described. In one I had a larger crack which looks to be an air pocket.

I had some wax left, so decided to do a little re-pour. Heated to 170*, poured shortly after removing from heat. Silly me, forgot to check temp, and I probably poured too hot. Anyway, now I've got larger cracks, enough space for a fingernail to fit in... Going to melt and re-pour at same temp as yesterday, but cover the molds with a box this time to see what happens. I'll keep you all updated!

Unfortunately, I can't get a decent pic with my camera, so I can't show you...

Ok, so I melted to 175* and repoured at 150*. Covered with a cardboard box to cool, left overnight. No cracks, which is great, also no frosting. Only problem is that it looks like some wax stuck to the wick pin, and a small chunk came off the votive when I removed the wick pins. This happened on both votives that I poured. The only thing I can think of is an air pocket? Other than that small flaw, they look pretty good... I will try some more with the rest of the sample... I think pouring at 150* is definitely working the best for me. Who knows what I'll try next!

I did my test today and here are my results.

6oz soy flakes

.25oz FO (Desire from NG)

red dye (shavings from block)

I melted this wax and color shavings to 180 degrees. I added FO, and let cool to about 165. I poured into slightly heated molds with wick pins. I let them cool completely, and then removed them from the mold.

Positves: The votive sides came out smooth and creamy looking, with an AWSOME cold throw. No sticking to the wick pin or sides of the mold.

Negatives: The only negative was the cracking around the top. I made 2 and one of them had a small chip raise up where it met the wick pin, but it pressed down and only left a small line to show where it had been.

I am giving this 2 more days to cure then will test burn, so I will add more to this. I will also try to post a pic, but the cracks look just like some of the others that have posted... over all I would say this is gonna be a great wax, but just needs some tweaking.