Fragrance in Soy

You could check out fragrance companies that cater to soy candlemakers. They typically test their fragrances in soy wax. However, a caveat: the soy wax they test in may or may not be the same one you use! You'll still have to test, of course, but starting with a soy candle fragrance site might at least cut down on some of your "miss" fragrances and increase your chances for "hits."

HTH!

Some fragrances will throw well and some won't. You could buy 10 Fos from one company and maybe all of them work and maybe none work. You just gotta try. I would suggest getting a sample pack from 2 suppliers and testing those Fos. If you're happy, buy more from those suppliers and eventually try out another supplier. Doing too much too soon is expensive and overwhelming.

Some good companies to try would be Snowtop, Just Scent (call and speak to Becky, she will tell you which ones throw great in soy), and Nature's Garden.

I know it can get costly. I have bought sample packs for tons of companies and now I have all this fragrance left you can't get rid of. I call it the stinky stuff. I let my customers smell them and tell me what they think.

But the big test is getting the right soy. I still have not figured out which one is right for me.

Okay, here's the deal. You must pick a wax. Choose two or three and test them against each other. Find out which one looks best, smells best, burns best, etc . . . Then once you decide on a wax, you can test different scents to see which ones are keepers (and you may find some keepers in your wax-testing quest).

Also, do NOT judge a scent out of the bottle. Scents change completely once in wax. I have scents that I do not like OOB, but that smell amazing in wax.

It can be overwhelming, I know. I have been making soy candles for five years and I am STILL trying to find that "pefect" soy wax. I know it doesn't exist yet. I was using KySoy125 and now I am going to go with the GW464...I am really loving this wax! :) Funny thing is, five years ago my soy candles seemed so much nicer looking than they have been behaving the past year or so. I am convinced something changed with the soy. I know at one point there was no cottonseed in it and then they got the cottonseed back - but still, something is different than it was years ago, IMO. :)

Have fun with the testing. It is time consuming, costly, frustrating, rewarding, and above all - it is FUN. So make sure to enjoy it. :)

Guest EMercier

I tested a lot with the different waxes to see if it worked. Luckily my best sellers have a great throw hot and cold. I will have to cut some since the soy will not work, but it's a good reason. Less for people to look for.

liljean

where do you get the GW464, if you dont mind me asking. I see several people on here use it.

I enjoy making candles but I really like making cake candles. I like a challenge. Jar candles I sell allot of and this is why I thought of going to the soy. I now blend my own wax for my jars but just thought I might throw some soy candles in with the others. Mix it up a bit.. or should I say... confuse my customers more. :yay:

Hi,

I am going to be ordering through Kris at Gateway http://www.gatewayfoodproducts.com/. I asked them where I could get it in my State and they said it is limited to certain suppliers until the market grows a little more for it. The price they gave me, delivered, is $52.31 ($1.05 a pound)...which is less than I pay now for my soy wax ($37.50 + shipping), delivered! :shocked2:

HTH. :)