Do I have the right to be P.O'ed over something FREE?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I love the sign, too. I think it's great, but I totally understand you not liking it because it wasn't what you asked for. I went through a similar situation, but it was my MIL instead of my mom, which almost makes it worse, then you REALLY can't say anything. The lesson I learned was that, well...I learned that I couldn't count on her to do what I wanted, and I didn't feel a right to complain, since it was generously given to us as free (although we paid for all the materials, grrr, which were really expensive), and that I will never, ever, ever, ever ask her - or anyone - to do something for me again, and if it's important to me, I won't even accept an offer to do it for free. I need to have the feeling that I have a right to demand what I want, and that will only happen if I pay.

So, I say...either flat out tell her you're not happy, but if not, then just stick it on the car, see if you can live with it, and if you just can't, well...then you can pay someone else to do one. And when/if mom notices, you can tell her the truth, if you want do, and if not, you can tell her a truth that doesn't have to include that you aren't happy with the first one.

Sorry you're disappointed. :cry2:

its not what you wanted.... so you have every right to be upset, free or not...

hey husbands are free! and we are not gonna settle for some guy that mom throws at us just cause he is the nice choir boy at church... whatever, you get my drift.

I would have been really upset if I didnt get what I had asked for, especially if it was available (like the fonts). And it is hard when you are working with the parents, they just want to take control over everything.

but image how upset your parents would have been if you went somewhere else (and paid - and got exactly what you wanted), your parents would have been hurt. So suck it up and hope that it gets "stolen".

Maybe I have a different outlook on this, if you don't want to use it, that is okay, and I think you have a right to be upset to a point. This is your mom, it was free yes, but so are your birthday gifts, and christmas...or whatever holidays you celebrate. Would you ever dream of telling your mom that isn't what you wanted, no you graciously accept the gift then hide it in the closet. I personally thought that the sign was nice, and maybe the toiletries thing was her gift to you. You wouldn't believe how many older people use that word. I know that in the grocery store the aisle that has the soap, shampoo, etc says toiletries on the top.

It's perfectly okay to be upset, to not use it, etc. I know it is your business, but I am sure your mother had good intentions and only wishes the best for you and your company...and didn't intend her add on to make you the laughing stock of your town.

I like the way the sign looks, I am sure that it is not grammatically correct to have the the words "Natural Ingredients" capitalized when the rest of that sentence is written normally. "Natural Ingredients" is not a proper noun, so it should not be capitalized. That would make me more upset than the word "toiletries." But, I am weird. HA HA.

Thanks everyone.

I took every one of your replies into consideration, and thought about what you said. (heather you're funny!)

I do beleive my mother had good intentions to use the word toiletries. She really could have just asked me first. Easy enough, I could have cleared that up right away. (I sure hope they don't do that for regular paying customers though).

It may have been a 'surprise' for me to add something else to my sign and to go above and beyond my normal logo. She may have been exited to see my response to that.

I don't beleive she meant to do it in spite or anything, and to make me look silly.

I will definately let you all know if I get any responses to the sign, good or bad. But like I said earlier. Only I will know, locally, that the sign isn't how I wanted it.....right!?

You all are really wonderful girls. I appreciate your responses, to my posting, whether you agreed or disagreed with what I said. This wasn't really a regular posting.......more of a "dear abby" kind of posting and you all were so willing to give me advice and help me understand. I really appreciate that. Thank YOU ALLLLL:highfive:

I like the sign and even though it's not exactly what you wanted it's still a gift from your Mother. You would not believe some of the ugly stuff I've worn because it was a present from Mom. I wouldn't hurt her feelings for the world.

Just wondering....:P You must learn we live in a imperfect world and you are lucky to have parents to help you even though they listen to you as much as you lsiten to them as your kids will listen to you. Cycle goes on, at least you got a caring family. Sign is fine, maybe 6 monthes from now, SOMEONE STEALS IT and you get the sign you want. Si???? :highfive:

I sympathize... My mom feels the need to donate my products to her causes. The woman doesn't ask if I want to donate she tells me after she put me down for a gift basket or 3 ~ it drives me nuts. But its my mom & its for charity what can I do? aaarrrrgghhh

Since your mom is in business she knew the sign will become an extension of YOUR business advertising. As cute & free as that sign is, you should have designed it.

btw you might be able to get your point across & pay it forward by gifting your parents something you designed for their business... lol :cool2:

I like the looks of the sign! I don't think the word "toiletries" brings any kind of negative connotation at all. I wish I had someone who could create such a beautiful free sign for me! You are a very lucky gal!!!

Darwin, those were my first thoughts as well, the improper capitalization would make me the nuttiest of all of it. I'm the same person who won't give my business to a place that advertises, "We fix flat's", so I'm a teeny bit anal like that.

Thanks everyone.

I took every one of your replies into consideration, and thought about what you said. (heather you're funny!)

I do beleive my mother had good intentions to use the word toiletries. She really could have just asked me first. Easy enough, I could have cleared that up right away. (I sure hope they don't do that for regular paying customers though).

It may have been a 'surprise' for me to add something else to my sign and to go above and beyond my normal logo. She may have been exited to see my response to that.

I don't beleive she meant to do it in spite or anything, and to make me look silly.

I will definately let you all know if I get any responses to the sign, good or bad. But like I said earlier. Only I will know, locally, that the sign isn't how I wanted it.....right!?

You all are really wonderful girls. I appreciate your responses, to my posting, whether you agreed or disagreed with what I said. This wasn't really a regular posting.......more of a "dear abby" kind of posting and you all were so willing to give me advice and help me understand. I really appreciate that. Thank YOU ALLLLL:highfive:

Definitely let us know how it goes, you might be surprised. I would love to have parents like yours, wanting to be involved in your life. Though sometimes they go overboard.

I just thought about it from a mom's POV. I have always instilled in my two kids that no matter what you think you always and above all else be thankful that someone cares so much about you to give you something.

Don't get me wrong ..... I too would be upset, but I am glad you found a way to handle it that will only benefit you both in the long run.:cheesy2:

Funny thing, I thought the same thing about the Natural Ingredients capitalized........but man, I was already being so negative about the sign.......Could I really add one more comment?

I also would just like to say, that things aren't always as they seem.

You would think, I have nice loving parents.

My step father who owns this business did nothing but emotionally & physically abuse me my entire childhood and still tries to emotionally get to me, to this day. (I am 30)

His wife, My MOTHER.....let it happen. And now says, 'she was weak'......she is also an absent grandmother to my wonderful 2 children. (her loss!)....I see them once every month MAAAYYYBEEE!!!!

I was given alot.....GIFTS.....probably to shut me up and make me temporarily happy. So when I mentioned about doing some advertizement for the vehicle she kindly agreed. Because probably it was another 'gift' to make me forget I am never thought about, or she feels guilty that she doesn't see me or my kids, and she has her rich, better life with her husband. who knows.

Sorry to bring this up........but a few of you said, I should feel lucky to 'get a free sign from a loving mother' and it's not exactly the case.

Sorry also if it's not the time and the place to talk about this.........oh shoot.........this isn't the Dr.Phil Message Boards? MY BAD! LOL

Anyways, Glad you all like the 'look' of the sign anyways.....I do too. I'm going to live with it. YES.......TIL IT WASHES AWAY IN THE CAR WASH. :rolleyes2

Funny thing, I thought the same thing about the Natural Ingredients capitalized........but man, I was already being so negative about the sign.......Could I really add one more comment?

My step father who owns this business did nothing but emotionally & physically abuse me my entire childhood and still tries to emotionally get to me, to this day. (I am 30)

His wife, My MOTHER.....let it happen. And now says, 'she was weak'......she is also an absent grandmother to my wonderful 2 children. (her loss!)....I see them once every month MAAAYYYBEEE!!!!

I was given alot.....GIFTS.....probably to shut me up and make me temporarily happy. So when I mentioned about doing some advertizement for the vehicle she kindly agreed. Because probably it was another 'gift' to make me forget I am never thought about, or she feels guilty that she doesn't see me or my kids, and she has her rich, better life with her husband. who knows.

Sorry to bring this up........but a few of you said, I should feel lucky to 'get a free sign from a loving mother' and it's not exactly the case.

Sorry also if it's not the time and the place to talk about this.........oh shoot.........this isn't the Dr.Phil Message Boards? MY BAD! LOL

Anyways, Glad you all like the 'look' of the sign anyways.....I do too. I'm going to live with it. YES.......TIL IT WASHES AWAY IN THE CAR WASH. :rolleyes2

OMG... I am sorry, this explains a whole lot more. I don't speak to my mother and she has never seen my kids for some of the same exact reasons. I found it easier to just block that out of my life completely.

So basically she did not want to give you what you wanted, but she wanted to give you what SHE wanted? Yeah you have the right to be PO'd. Explain to her that that is not the "word" you would use to describe your things. Kind of like us candlemakers don't say "home-made" just sounds less well proffessional or nice. Tell her you will be willing to pay for anything that will cost extra money like the pics and extra wording. Tell her you apprecciate the free offer, but just because it is free, she does not have the right to add "signatures" to your signs without your permission. I bet she would not do that to a paying customer. Tell her you apprecciate the thought but that is not what you had in mind.. HTH

I guess it depends on if you asked her to do it for FREE...I have had situations were people have known I needed something (biz cards) and offered to do them and then they let me know it was free of charge because they wanted to use mine as advertisement for their biz...well, they did not want to do what I wanted... so I told them if they could not produce the product I wanted then I was going elsewhere because I was willing to pay for cards in the first place, it is my business and I decide how it is advertised.

I don't think it matters if it was free...ask her if she would have done the same to a paying customer, if she says no, then tell as of today you are a paying customer if she can't treat your business with as much respect as the next persons.

Ok, if I decide to give some of my product away FREE to a person who was willing to buy it in the first place don't they deserve to get what they wanted to pay for? Not some other version just because I decided to give it to them.

Just my 2cents worth, what ever that is worth

Michelle

To me the word "free" and "gift" are two different things here. A gift COULD be an unexpected suprise. But something free COULD be something you planned out and talked about and the other person offered to do it for you without pay. If there was that much interaction with the sign then it should have been done the way you wanted it and you have every right to be dissappointed.

That probably didn't make a lick of sense, but it sounded so good in my head.:confused:

Darwin, those were my first thoughts as well, the improper capitalization would make me the nuttiest of all of it. I'm the same person who won't give my business to a place that advertises, "We fix flat's", so I'm a teeny bit anal like that.

I am the same way!

Forget what I said before about "Free" is "Free"! Considering what you've went through with your family, I'd be chucking the sign out and going elsewhere for a new one. Even though it's going to cost you in the long run, atleast you won't feel like you owe mommy anything. Maybe when Ma sees your new sign, it may put a bug in her butt, lighten her up a bit and realize that you take your business seriously and don't need her changing your sign to suit her needs.

I'm sorry that you went through such a rough childhood, that really sucks. I figured from the beginning that it's not about the sign - it never is. It really would be the last time I asked them for a favor, ever. Because obviously, they're not going to try to meet your needs, they're going to do what they want to do.