Do I have the right to be P.O'ed over something FREE?

Okay, I posted a few weeks ago about getting a magnetic sign for my car.

My mother and step father own their own sign business.

They were nice enough to make my magnetic sign for the car, for FREE.

I had a layout of what I wanted, and they said it wouldn't look right....too many words, and they couldn't add pictures because there wouldn't be enough room.

So pretty much, I'm feeling like already I'm not getting what I really wanted.

My mother called here today saying that the magnetic signs were ready and that they look great.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM:

She said that they wanted to put something more than just my logo......

So she added "And Fine Toiletries"......or something along those lines..

I was like..........TOILETRIES? Thinking, us soapmakers don't use that word!!!

(It's going to feel embraressing driving around with the word toiletries on my car!)

Plus I really just make soap and I make salves. That's it!

I will post a picture of the sign when I pick it up tonight.

Please give me your honest opinions............and whether I have the right to be upset over something that really was free. :shocked2:

PICTURE ADDED: AND SEE PAGE 2 FOR MY RESPONSE

logoforcarsmall5cc.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eeks, that's difficult. One one hand, I say no...you shouldn't be mad because it's free. On the other hand, what good is FREE if it's not what you want or even make?

Aren't moms a gem sometimes? They think they always know better (sometimes they do) but when it is OUR business/livelihood, let us make those decisions.

I would gently say to her that you appreciate that they made the sign for free, but unfortunately you won't be able to use it because you don't make "toiletries" and that would be false advertising... Maybe?

I think you have the right to be upset. This is a sign for your personal business and your mom should have made it the way you wanted it. It's not her decision as to whether you use the word toiletries, have a pic, etc . . . My mom is quite overbearing and is always telling what I need to do. It's not unsolicited advice, it's a mandate. So, personally, I see where you are coming from and would feel upset. Now, what you can actually do about it is another thing, lol.

Ok... here's my thoughts.....

The tolietries thing is not so bad it is a word for what we make....That being said.....

It is YOUR bussiness and YOUR products... you should be able to market them how YOU want... I think that if something was to be added you should have had your say in it regardless of if it was free or not.

If this happened to me I would be upset... I have vary particular ideas about how I like to display my stuff and how I would like to advertise (if it comes to that).... I think that if you really dont like the sign then you shouldnt stettle... Thank them for making you this sample... and maybe sugest that you would like to design your own and have them quote you on what it would cost to make.... this is definatly i hard one!

Working with family really gives this another dimension. It's not the fact that it's free - it's the fact that your mom is making a decision for you. A decision regarding your business and your tastes. A decision that should not be hers to make. I just believe that she should have done what YOU wanted, regardless of whether she is doing it for free or not.

Weelllll....

You could use the sign for a while... until it mysteriously disappeared (I mean, got stolen)...and then pay them for a new sign with the layout exactly the way you want it... :whistle:

sorry, evil thought :eek: :naughty::eek:

(bad Mag... bad, bad Mag!)

Or go with Trish's idea. :)

I am on the fence on if you should be upset about it because after all it was free..I would be more upset about my mom butting in and making the decisions about my business...lol I wonder if it had been a regular customer and not their daughter would they have told them when they said what they wanted that much lettering would not look good and that they would not do a photo cause there is not enough room? Honestly its up to you to even put it on your car, you have the option to say thank you and move on and leave it off...and I agree with you I would not drive around with toilertries on my car either...lol Maybe you will be pleasently surprised and it will look really good when you see it. Looking forward to seeing the pic of this.;)

Weelllll....

You could use the sign for a while... until it mysteriously disappeared (I mean, got stolen)...and then pay them for a new sign with the layout exactly the way you want it... :whistle:

sorry, evil thought :eek: :naughty::eek:

(bad Mag... bad, bad Mag!)

That is what I would do.

Funny, one time I had one of those magnetic ribbons, that I paid 5.00 from the of the Animal Rescue places, where we have adopted 2 cats from. Had it on my car about 6 months and one day, noticed that someone had removed it off my car, you could see the smudge prints where they peeled it off, really pi**ed me off. :mad: It wasn't so much about the money, as it was the advertisement for a cause I believe in.

If you really don't like it when you get it,

Act like you do and then lose it in the wind.... :thumbsup:

That way no ones feelings get hurt... :highfive:

(Just make sure Mom doesn't make it again for you, tell her you want a new one, but think you might change a few things)

You guys were all very helpful. Seems like the majority says I have a slight reason to be upset considering all the facts.

Okay if I am able to add pictures to the first post, I will.

Otherwise I'll post it here.....

SO HERE'S THE DEAL once i saw the sign:

1. Because of copy right, I didn't want a picture in my logo, so my fonts were going to be the main part of the logo. Once you saw, SOAP IN THE CITY with it's sparkly stars you would think 'CITY LIGHTS'

The font I asked for is the same, minus the sparkly lights that usually accompanies that exact font!

My website address is a particular font as well, as I clearly stated I wanted, and they had that font!!!!! (I was told!) WELL - it was a plain jane font!

Okay then the toiletries issue. I never asked for anything but THIS:

SOAP IN THE CITY

Handmade Soap By Tasha

www.soapinthecity.com

with all their fancy fonts, in my handmade square, circle and colored in corners, logo I made on the 'paint' program! (SHUSH!) HAHA

They took the liberty to add the phrase: "Fine toiletries created with Natural Ingredients"......for one thing.....my soaps aren't FINE ~ I've never used that word in anything I've made, on a label or anywhere......and then the toiletries......I'm not going there............

Man........long story, eh. There must be a short version, but I'm just a little P.O 'ed.

Okay..........girls........Tell it the way it is............I love you all regardless.

Hey Tasha,

I know your Pissed, but "Free" is "Free". Not everything comes with a guarantee even if it is "Free"! Can I have your Moms' #, maybe I can get a "Free" sign out of it. I personally like the sign and to tell you the truth, my eyes are directed to the company name and website more than the small print on the bottom. She should have put your phone # on the sign somewhere for the people that don't have access to the net. I think you should just stick the sign on your vehicle and wait for the sales to come in. :)

It really depends on your relationship with you mother. If you think you can make her understand why it upsets you then go ahead, if not pretend that it got stolen or eaten by the car wash machine. Although this may create a situtation that She will make another one in which case you can bring up the idea that the tag line to you seems misleading.

The sign doesn't look bad at all... :cheesy2:

I know it is not what you wanted, but it looks very nice..

I would use it till it gets lost...

(Ya know when the wind blows it off the car):shocked2: LOL

I am with you on the toiletries thing....Woudn't like it...

BUT.. It may catch people's attention !!

I know it would catch my kids attention and they would be screaming about the word toilet being on a car.. LOL

Which then would get my attention...;)

I guess it could be a positive attention graber... Who knows....

Stick it on and see what happens..

tough call...it was free...BUT they didn't have the right to change it to their liking without getting your okay first. i do have to say that i love the sign and i think the plain font for the web addy does make for easiest reading, especially on the road.

I wouldn't use it, but then again, I'd ask her not to print it so she doesn't waste her time and material.

I think if you ask for something free, you get what you get. If someone asks to do something specific for you, they should do it the way you want or send you to somewhere that can do it the way you want.

I can sympathize with the "toiletries" thing, lol...:cheesy2:

I agree with Laura that the plain font for the web addy would be much easier for someone to read as you zoom past. I also agree that, free or not, it isn't what you wanted so it's okay to be upset. If it were me, I'd be more than upset, I'm such a control freak! :rolleyes2

Free or not, you always have the RIGHT to get PO'd...but what does it get you? If you don't like the sign, don't put it on your car. Don't lie, just don't use it. Go buy a sign from a company that will print what you want.

I agree with you who say, it's free and I shouldn't be upset with free.

One way or another I'm getting free advertizing all around.

I understand where you're coming from - valleygrl - about getting an item you didn't like the fragrance of and it was given or free for you. You could just say 'ah I don't like it, but it was free so I'm not out of luck or money, so what the hay!' I see the point of that.

I don't mean to act like a spoiled brat who didn't get what they wanted at a restaurant and am making a big fuss over it and causing the waitress to feel like crap and lose sleep over my big fuss. I haven't said anything to my parents about the sign. I actually liked it when I saw it for the first time and said how I did, and how I appreciated it. I just mentally noted those few things.

I also agree with you who say that I have that right to be a little P.O'ed.

All in all, I will put it on my vehicle.

Nobody is going to know but me, that it is not the way I HAD PLANNED IT.

And I'm sure I'll like it once it's on............

But I'm tellin ya.....if anyone laughs at me, and says toiletries when I'm out........

:cool2: Man I'm gonna cry!