Anyone use CBL129?

Hi there! I'm thinking about trying it out, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it? I want to give it a try since they say it will do double duty for containers and votives.

Looking for any input or opinions on this wax. Mainly I'm curious if it will make good container candles and votives? I'd love to find a wax that will do both, so I don't have to use two separate waxes.

Thanks in advance!

-Jessica

Candlewic sent me a sample of this along with the CBL-141, which I use for pillars. I made my first container w/ the CBL-129, and I can see why it will work for votives and containers... I followed the instructions on the candlewic site to the "T", and here's what I can tell you: The scent throw is AMAZING!! It took color well, opaque and smooth. The wax shrunk a bit when it cooled, pulled completely away from the container so that I heard it rattle around in there a tiny tiny bit when I moved the jar. It burns well, seems to burn evenly. I have not tried it for a votive, but I can tell from making votives from the CBL-141 that it would probably work well. This wax reminds me of the -141 pillar blend, but in a container blend...

Candlewic will send you a couple of 1-lb. samples of different waxes if you e-mail them... I got the CBL-129 when I requested a sample of the CBL-141.:cheesy2:

If I were to do paraffin containers, I would definitely use this wax! HTH,

Thanks Rachel! Glad to hear that you had success with it, I'm not sure I like that it pulled away from your container though. I don't know if I could live with the rattling. But then again, if it has great throw, good even burns, and will make good votives too, I may be able to deal with the pulling away. Thanks gain!

I sent an email to Candlewic this afternoon about getting some samples. Hopefully they will grant my request :cheesy2:

-Jessica

Yes, this is great in jars and votives.

I love this wax.

I make jars, votives and use it with soy for my tarts.

Now I don't have the rattling in my jars like Rach, but it does pull away just like she said.

looks great, throws scent great and colors great.

ummm, can ya tell I like it? :grin2:

Good luck with it...

Thanks! I'm so glad to hear it that it is capable of doing double duty and making good votives! Do you mind if I ask why you add soy to it for your tarts? Is for the throw or the hardness of the wax? Just taking noob guesses. I've been using 4794 for my pillars, votives, and tarts and it does a great job, just curious.

I can't wait to get my samples from Candlewic!

-Jessica

• 3 weeks later...

Don't mean to hijack your thread, plus it's not a current thread, but very few on this board seem to be using the CBL129 container wax, so I wanted to stick with this thread. I ordered a sample and poured 2 wks ago. I used 8% FO in (2) 9 oz Hex jars, a mulberry and Hot Apple Pie. I poured @ 180*, cured for 2 days. I have used J50, J223 and 4627. The CBL129 has the best cold throw of all waxes I've tried even at a higher % in others). Color is the best, also. (I use liquid dye). The melt pool depth is the best by far (1/4") even after 4 hours. Full melt pool is perfect. This is the wax I have been searching for as far as the above mentioned qualities, because I have been getting a melt pool depth in the other waxes I have not been happy with (too deep, up to 1" sometimes, no matter what size wick I tried). I really like a harder wax than the J50 etc. and the 129 is a hard wax. The CBL129 did not pull away from the jar any more than the J50, did not rattle any at all, wet spots were no worse than J50. I prefer not to have to do a repour or hit with a heat gun, but would do so to find the best wax for me. The only problem I had was the hot scent throw. Even now, after 2 wks of curing after the 1st burn, it still takes an hour before I get a satisfactory scent throw, then it is good, but not great. I used the same BCN FO's which throw quicker and stronger in the J50. Is there another CBL129 user who can help me figure out how to get a quicker hot scent throw? I'm really not satisfied unless I can get the hot throw in approximately 30 minutes. If I can achieve this, I will have found my dream wax (aside from repours).

I only used this wax once, but here's what I did: I used 1 lb. wax, 0.5 oz Pink Sugar from Peak. Poured into a qt. widemouth mason jar, as it is just a tester for me to see the properties of the wax... I followed Candlewic's instructions precisely, heated to 180*, added color, then fo, then poured into preheated container. I have a CD-16 wick in there, and let me tell you, after about 10 minutes now, the throw will kick you out of the room! I had this one at my office for one day, and one of the women said she could smell it all the way down the hallway on the other side of the building! I used the spec sheet from Candlewic as my guide : http://www.candlewic.com/candle-wax/PDS-CBL129.pdf

HTH,

I am stirring well and pouring at same temp as you two are doing. I would wonder if the FO's used was the problem if I had not already used them both from same bottle (shaken well) as I did with the J50. I used a 44-32-18Z wick in a Mulberry blend & a 51-32-18Z in the Hot Apple Pie, both 9 oz hex jars. I still did not get a hot throw as quickly as with th J50. I know the CB129 is a harder wax, but it still melts amazing quickly for such a hard wax. Unless 8% FO is too much, then ....I am still puzzled. I want so badly for this wax to work. I am tired of the softer waxes and don't want to have to start figuring out and testing additives to get a firmer container wax texture.

Perhaps try a different type wick... From what I understand, Zinc cores burn cooler than most of the others. Candlewic recommends LX, RRD, CD, HTP... perhpas your melt pool isn't getting hot enough? Maybe a more experienced chandler can chime in on this one...

Thanks, I should have tried other wick brands before posting. I was trying to stick with the zincs as much as possible. I have almost every wick brand and many sizes and changing brands/sizes so much gets very time consuming and a little tedious. I took a break from container testing due to limited time, to just do tarts, and am now ready to start testing containers again (I think!) I have some of each and will try this. I don't really want to change jars at present just to get a larger opening.