Confessions of a Computer Geek

I wanted to stop in and introduce myself. My name is Brian and I am a computer geek :) When I came to realize I was spending between 14-16 hours a day in front of a computer, I figured I needed to find myself a hobby.

I just took a class on container from At Wix End and really enjoyed it. I bought the starter kit and picked up the Presto Kitchen Kettle. I have been reading the forums for a few weeks now and I am a little intimidated by all the wax lingo (IGI 4625 Wax). Hopefully, it will make more sense with time.

I did have a question. Has anyone used Wix Wax or any of the waxes from At Wix End? They are a local company and if its good wax, I figure that is a good way for me to save on shipping. Their prices seem well within reason. I haven't tried container soy yet, but that is next on my list. Then onto Votives and pillars.

Well hey...we have a few things in common. I also am a computer geek, but I prefer the term "techno geek". :) I actually do that for a living. And my name is Bryan too. (I'm a "Y", not an "I") LOL I'm new to this candle stuff too, but everyone here has been so nice an helpful. I'm sure you'll find tons of info from these experts that post here. I've enjoyed making candles, but do admit that I'm getting frustrated. They never seem to come out perfect. Oh well...I'm gonna keep trying for now.

Can't help you with the wax - I'm sure someone will pop in - but are you sure you want to trade one addiction for TWO? You will be up all night reading all the posts here, then playing with hot wax, then back here to cheer or find out what was wrong. This board is just as addicting as candles!

Good luck and have fun!

BrySC - Wow, that is a lot of similarities. I hope I don't let my perfectionist left-side brain attitude jade my enjoyment. I keep telling myself they don't have to be perfect to begin with. I am going to set a goal of making some candles to give as gifts by Christmas.

Georgia - I have already been surfing around the forums most of today. I know it will be bad when I have a laptop sitting in my candle making room.

I am excited to make my first "real" candle and start testing different waxes, colors, FOs, etc.

This is a great hobby for the techno weenie - I'm one too. More of a business programmer, and I'm old lol, but yeah, it's hard to stay away from the computer. Computers can be creative, but this is a different kind of creative.

Bet you can come up with a dynamite website though :) Welcome!

Welcome!!!

Sorry but I also don't know about the suppliers you mentioned but someone will have some advice. Just need to find your post. But if the wax you are looking at is made by IGI then it won't make any difference where you buy it. You just need to choose the type of wax you need for the project you want to make. The same would be true of a name brand soy wax.

I am practically illiterate when it comes to the computer. Glad to hear there are so many here who know what they are doing with tech matters. I may need advice sometime.

Have fun with your new adventure.

Cheers

Janette

Welcome,

I took the pillar class from At Wix End at their Centerville location a couple years ago. It was fun. They have a message board and I was going to suggest to go over to it and do a search but I don't think you can do a search on it. You might post a question over on it asking if anyone could give you some reviews on the wix wax verses the 50/50 wix wax. I know Jennifer is really nice to work with. If your not sure which wix wax to get maybe get one slab of both the wix wax and the wix wax 50/50 and see which one you would prefer. Good luck.

Welcome to CT Brian!

I use EL (Enchanted-Lites), and go to that board at times to find specifics on my wax. But, I also find a lot of information here on general characteristics of the type of wax I'm using (soy). I haven't seen very many posts on Wix Wax here, but maybe with enough general information, you can get it to work for you. :cool2:

Good Luck!

Thanks to all for the great replies. I actually build web sites for a living, so I hope I can hold off on building one for a while. I'll stick to just posting to forums for a while.

I was pretty happy with the container I made for my class. Not knowing much about scent throw, melt pools, etc, I am pleased with my first candle. I used Moonlite Path FO and I really like it.