Wick drowning in Melting Pot jars???

I know we have some of us testing the 16 oz and/or the 24 oz Melting Pot jar from the Jar Store. I really like the looks of the jar. I really want it to work. But what I thought was a wax/wick problem may not be.

I'm on the tenth burn of Greenleaf's 70/30, 8% Indo Teak, 2 x 740 Premier 700 wick. I got a better burn initially from 2 x 745, and the hot throw was very good, but it smelled funny, almost like it was a burning smell. When I wicked down to the 740, it went away and smelled great. I have five burns on this wick, but on burn 8 the wicks started drowning out! I extinguished them, let the candle cool, then lit again. Same thing. Blew out again, then pulled the wicks out a little so that 1/4" was sticking out. After cooling down, lit again. Got a better flame, but then they started to get small but steady, good throw, 3/8" deep MP but not burning all the way across.

I only started having wick drowning problems when I got this jar. One of the reasons I started trying the Premier 700 wicks was due to the HTPs drowning in this jar

I'm almost beginning to conclude that the jar is causing the drowning. Could it be that the relatively narrow opening for a four inch jar is causing the wicks to get starved for air? The jar is 4" wide by 4 1/2".

Anyone else have this happen too? I'll have to wick up again and see if that works I guess.

geek

I know we have some of us testing the 16 oz and/or the 24 oz Melting Pot jar from the Jar Store. I really like the looks of the jar. I really want it to work. But what I thought was a wax/wick problem may not be.

I'm on the tenth burn of Greenleaf's 70/30, 8% Indo Teak, 2 x 740 Premier 700 wick. I got a better burn initially from 2 x 745, and the hot throw was very good, but it smelled funny, almost like it was a burning smell. When I wicked down to the 740, it went away and smelled great. I have five burns on this wick, but on burn 8 the wicks started drowning out! I extinguished them, let the candle cool, then lit again. Same thing. Blew out again, then pulled the wicks out a little so that 1/4" was sticking out. After cooling down, lit again. Got a better flame, but then they started to get small but steady, good throw, 3/8" deep MP but not burning all the way across.

I only started having wick drowning problems when I got this jar. One of the reasons I started trying the Premier 700 wicks was due to the HTPs drowning in this jar

I'm almost beginning to conclude that the jar is causing the drowning. Could it be that the relatively narrow opening for a four inch jar is causing the wicks to get starved for air? The jar is 4" wide by 4 1/2".

Anyone else have this happen too? I'll have to wick up again and see if that works I guess.

geek

I was having the same problem with those jars, I gave up on them couldn't figure out what the problem was. Now that I am reading your post I think it was the jar and not me. I thought about maybe making them a 3 wick, but then I just said to heck with it.

Not that this is much help, but I understand totally where you are coming from on this. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...