Business License and Liability Insurance Question

Hi Everyone,

Have always received great advice from you before so I am inquiring once again...I am starting my candle business and doing it from home - Do I need a business license (state of NJ) and do I need insurance for liability purposes? What do all of you do? Thanks!!:cheesy2:

First, welcome to the board! How long have you been making candles and what do you like to make?

Second, you do need a business license to sell. Check into your state's department of the treasury or dept of the revenue. Google NJ Business License or check your local county's website for info.

As far as insurance, there are people who will tell you it's mandatory, but it isn't. It's a very good idea, but is ultimately a choice you have to make. It never hurts to be insured though. Even if someone does not have a valid claim against you (meaning they have no chance of winning), the suit will still cost you money in attys fees. So, not mandatory, but it is advisable to carry it.

Call your local Department of Revenue and they will tell you exactly what licenses you need to sell. In my state, as a sole proprietor, I needed to obtain an assumed name certificate from the county I live in, obtain a sales tax number from the state, and obtain a business license from the village I live in. I also carry $1 million in product liability insurance.

Thank you to all who responded..Now to find someone willing in NJ!! LOL I've been "playing/experimenting" for about 9 months. (Votives and up to 16 oz. containers, no pillars - I don't care for them. I've given to family and friends to give constructive criticism- they complain about everything...I've realized very quickly you can't please everyone :) BUT as you all know, this is a process of changing and trying new things which I assume will continue as long as I do it. Thanks again and if anyone would have any suggestions for NJ, please let me know.. I've tried three carriers and they've all practically laughed at me. UGH!!!

They laughed at you ? ..thats not good !! ...I know you were being facetious, but MAN that sux !...I too had been wondering about the insurance thing . Does anyone know if you can add it to your homeowners ? Or what it cost ?

So did the insurance people give you any input ..positive input ?..What I mean is what did they say to you ? Or maybe Im being too personal ..? Just want to try to arm myself for when I go looking !

yakoke !

Deana

CedarRain