Overpouring candles

Okay, I specialize in making gothic themed candles and one candle that I have personally wanted around my home is the black weeping candles I keep seeing. They look extremely easy to make, as they are just a red pillar with a black overpour..Problem is, I have NEVER done any overpours on my candles.

CDL3502.jpg

Suggestions from those who have done any overpours? Curious about temps and if there is some way to actually dip the candle or if I just pour wax over the candle...Help please!

-Victoria

Great shade of black you got going there.... LOVE IT!! :wink2:

It would be much easier to dip these candles. If you pour red wax all over them, you will have nothing but the appearance of a bloody candle. I don't think thats the look you are going for. The candle you have pictured is way overwicked- thus the mess.

If you make a red pillar, cool completely and then dip into a vat of black wax, you will have some cool effects. You can dip it however many times you like to make the thickness of the wall greater.

Donita will be able to give you the best direction, she does alot of dipped candles.

The candle pictured is not actually my own, it is the example I posted to show an idea of what it is that I want. Yeah, I dont' know if I will wick it as the maker has because i dont' want it to burn out as fast as you would expect the pictured on too. I will have to check with Donita, she is definetly the queen

Haven't done any overpours yet either, but you know if you don't overwick it like they did, it doesn't seem like you would get the same effect. I would think some overwicking, maybe not as drastic as the example above might do it. Good luck, let us see pics when you're done!

Dont know nothing bout nothing bout that, but those candles are coool - my husband wanted me to do something like that but with a skull for the local music shop/and for his (past) band at shows. Now that I started making candles H**L no I wont even try dipping and carving and stuff and stuff. I'll stick with container candles for now thanks.

Just had to say I think that would be fun to make (even in happy oranges and yellows) and they look awesome ---- GOOD LUCK :smiley2: