How will this Craft year do?

Does anyone think that we will make any kind of money, with these gas prices soaring so high? Will people come to see us, and if they do, will they buy anything, or saying those 3 dirty words,(Isn't that cute) and walk off, to give the money to their gas tanks? I want to order some scents but I am very worried, that I will pay good money just for them to sit in the candles I make,or on the shelf.:o T***I***A***

Most of the fairs I do are smaller, so locals usually walk to them. My 3 day Labor Day fair is like that. I'll find out tomorrow if I get into a weekly market in another small town - that one doesn't have as much foot traffic, but with the way regular traffic is around here, I don't see anyone not going places yet.

Most people around here are used to traveling 30 miles into town as a normal trip.

At least this year I'll be driving a reasonable car, not one that takes premium or a truck that gets 5 mpg. :)

gas prices have gone up but when It comes to doing something you like such as going to craft shows knowone is going to say no because the gas prices are up. These people that travel to crafts shows, thats all they do they look forward to it they get excited. Now they may not have the same buget or spending money as they had a few years ago. I know I dont :cry2:

Guest EMercier

The shows I do are local, even when gas prices were lower I didn't go that far. I normally am by myself and can't carry alot and set up. I just did a show this weekend (1st two day) and had lots of traffic, but it was also in a affluent section of the city.

I think those of us who are catering to tourists will see a negative effect from gas prices. However, it can also have the effect of keeping local people from traveling as far also. Locals may be this year's tourists. But there is no getting around the fact that gas prices are going to effect everything we consume, and there will be less disposable income. We just have to build a better mouse trap.

Cheers

Janette

Spaeking of gas prices and money issues. If you did not make Candles or Bath products, would you buy these products, (like ours the hand crafted kind) with these gas prices or are you finding, with these gas prices, you have less to spend on such products?

I think with the price of gas the general public will still attend these function but in smaller numbers I think they are going to do thing that are free and have less vendors so the will not be tempted to do impulse buying which craft shows and festival encourage.

Just exactly my thought. I think people this past weekend were on tighter budgets, but then we've had the rumors that gas was to be $4 or more last weekend and that didn't happen, but now the word is by the end of the year it will be at $5.

We had a few people come in and sniff away, but in the end they said they were tight budgets and had to look around first. So they ended up spending money on roasted turkey legs and a plate of potato rings.

Last year we were over the $3.30-$3.50 range with gas prices and didn't really feel that kept people from spending, but now that the cost of gas, rising costs in other expenses (utilities etc.) have come about, I'm going to be looking at this year a little more closely to see what happens.

The show we were at we did a little better than last year, but there were a lot of crafters who didn't pull in some bucks or enough bucks to make it worth their while.