evaluation of my first test candle

Horahh I tested my first candle today! Lemongrass FO. 70/30 GL , 8oz square mason jar, ECO 8 wic used

here are my results/questions for you guys.

The candle acheived a full melt pool in 3 hours. Is this good or bad?

The wick tunneled over after I lite it. I think that I trimmed it too short.

The scent throw was light but I had it in a large room (kitchen/dining room)

jar didnt get too hot

flame was normal size not too big not too small. HOWEVER, after about 3 1/2 hours the wick was being consumed by the wax and the flame go really small and the wax started to dry. What causes this?

No hang ups :cheesy2: !!

No soot :cheesy2: !!

The color of the wax was the same after it dryed

DSC01745.jpg

DSC01747.jpg

DSC01749.jpg

I dont know If you can tell what the size of my melt pool is in pic # 2 but I thought it was alittle too big. Its hard to tell in these square jars.

The third pic shows the candle after I let the flame out because the flame was so small for some reason the wax was starting to hang up on the sides.

what do you all think ?

The candle acheived a full melt pool in 3 hours. Is this good or bad?

It depends on how deep the pool is. If it's 1/2" or more, you may need to wick down. If less than 1/2" then to me that is just right.

The wick tunneled over after I lite it. I think that I trimmed it too short.

The wick should be trimmed to 1/4". If it was less than 1/4" then that might explain how it started drowning after 3 1/2 hours.

The scent throw was light but I had it in a large room (kitchen/dining room)

That would be normal to me given the size of jar.

jar didnt get too hot

That is a good thing.

flame was normal size not too big not too small. HOWEVER, after about 3 1/2 hours the wick was being consumed by the wax and the flame go really small and the wax started to dry. What causes this?

Could be because your wick was trimmed too short initially. Given the information, if you pull it up a little to get 1/4" sticking out it may burn too hot and achieve full MP too soon. I would pull the wick out a little, burn again, and if you get a full MP before three hours then you shoud try wicking down one size.

geek

Remember you are also still in the smallest part of the candle jar. It gets wider than that where you are burning now. You have to wick it to where it gives you a full melt pool in the biggest part of the jar yet does not get the small part of the jar too hot. I have been using the Eco-8 in my testing with the GL 70/30 blend and so far my results are good with these. I did have to wick up on a Cinnamon buns fo to Eco-10. Brenda is still working out the bugs with the manufacturer with this wax but Eco-8's are burning decent in this jar. I know I trimmed a couple of mine too short and it did the same thing. I trimmed it while it was still burning and then I had hangup on the sides so I had to pour a little of the wax out to help it. That was my fault though for trimming way too short.