Adding Embeds

ladysj

From my understanding and from my experience I have

with gel is that if you add the embeds first then the gel, you

can have some trapped air pockets in your finished product.

What I do is pour a thin layer around the inside of the

jar first, then pour the gel, then add the embeds.

Vickey may chime in with a better plan.

Thank you. The wax must have been to hot when I added my embeds because they melted on the first 2. :cry2: The 3rd one there was some melting but not alot. What is the best way to do them to where the embeds dont melt? I let the 3rd one thicken a little before placing my embeds in but man were they hard to get in there lol

Purple way is a good way to do it. I will add this after swirl the inside of your jar pour in layers pour about 1" of gel them press the embeds in to that gel then another layer so on and so forth also pour on the cool side. I pour about 180 give or take a little bit.

Purple way is a good way to do it. I will add this after swirl the inside of your jar pour in layers pour about 1" of gel them press the embeds in to that gel then another layer so on and so forth also pour on the cool side. I pour about 180 give or take a little bit.

For lack of a better word and not knowing all the terminology - when you

pour in layers, are there "lines" in the finished product from each layer you

pour?

When I make my preserve jars the first thing I do is put the embeds in the freezer so they get really cold. Make sure the wax used for the embeds is a high melt point wax. I pour my gel hot and use HD gel. I guess around 200 (or at the point the gel is thin like syrup) into the jar. Pouring this hot let me give a good even coating on the glass. I pour enough to coat a section from top to bottom rolling it to coat the glass about ¼ in. I found this helps with air bubbles between the embeds. Then I place the embeds in the gel and press so they are close to the glass but still has gel between them and the glass. You can raise the jar up enough so you can see what you are doing. Just don’t tip it towards you! Keep adding hot gel and roll the jar around until you have the glass wall covered with embeds. I found this method gave me a good look for my preserve jars. When the gel cools the embeds will stay in place. Do not play with the embeds after you push them in the hot gel. They will melt so leaving them alone you will not smear them. After the sides are done then I pour some cooler gel in the middle about an inch at a time then add some embeds. I do this in layers. Doing the sides first then filling in the middle in layer will not show jump lines.

I hope I explained this right! lol It will take some time to get the technique down but you will pick up speed the more you make. Use a popsicle sticks to press the embeds in the gel otherwise you will burn your fingers!

HTH,

Chris

www.illuminatedgifts.com

The most common gel used is MD as far as I know. The HD people use to suspend heavier objects. I started out using the MD and it works well especially for what you are doing. When I started embedding heavier objects like glass I found the HD held up better especially in the hotter months. Instead of having two different gels, I switched over the HD. It really is a matter of preference and what you are actually embedding. I know people who use MD and do not have problems.

Chris

www.illuminatedgifts.com

I embed mine a little differently from everyone else. I pour my gel when it gets to the consistency of thick syrup. When the gel is cool enough that I can put my finger in without burning myself, that's the point I put in the embeds. I use the eraser end of a pencil to push them toward the outside of the glass. Been doing it this way for 6 years! :)

You’re welcome. The embedded candles do look really nice. I’ve had people think it was a real preserve jar. lol

Trae: That’s how I first embedded but I couldn’t help get air pockets that showed with the apple preserve. As I pressed to get the bubble out I usually broke the apple slice. Then I read about freezing embeds and pouring hotter and found that worked for me. What is your technique for placing apple slices?

That's why I use the eraser end of a pencil to push down the embeds...so they don't break. I pour in the gel and kinda push the apple slice down into the gel from the end that will be showing thru the glass...the side where the peel would be. Then I use the pencil to push the slice to the bottom. takes practice but it becomes second nature after bit. HTH.