Metro Jar from Fancy Candle Jars

SDM

as I do see a part of Quietgirl's opinion as " right" , I think he did it in the wrong way.

Now Masterbaker- I agree with you on the Ron part, but the Grannyscandles was a bit extreme. You may not agree with her sticking up for him, but she is a very valuable member of this board and doesn't deserve to be treated that way. Many of us don't always see eye to eye, but we never , ever, at least from what I have seen, ever said something like that to another member of this board unless we knew it was a TROLL. We are all entitled to our opinions but I personally think you went a little far!

:shocked2:

Totaly uncalled for!! Who's got the soap???

This is not a basher board, why jump someone because they like a certain supplier?

I also see no reason to jump someone because they are getting good service from a supplier or say that they must be getting kickbacks..... many here praise Peaks to no end and don't get accused of getting kickbacks. I personally don't see what is so great about them, I've had some of their FO's and they weren't any better than most of the other FO's I get elsewhere. Peaks has a SPECIALS page that hasn't changed in over a year that I've been checking their website out. Do they EVER have anything but molds on special? Just curious...:confused:

Everyone has their favorite suppliers, some may have been treated extremely well from that supplier and want to share with us here, but is that reason to say they are getting kickbacks from the supplier? I think it's great when someone shares a a good deal or a good supplier with us so that we all might benefit. I also appreciate the "heads up" when something goes wrong with a supplier too and I feel the supplier should have their say.

Not everyone is going to get along all the time or see eye to eye all the time, on a forum this big, but that is no reason to bad mouth or accuse others here, been a lot of that going on lately. I thought most here were adults.........................:tiptoe:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow this thread has gone from a simple supplier complaint to a bash each other thread. Sheesh has the change in climate got to all of you...LOL.

Now let's get back to the issue at hand. SDM got a defective candle jar from the supplier mentioned in previous posts. An email was sent, and a response was sent that many felt was not an appropriate response(which they are entitled to) after some blah blah blah's the supplier posted his version of what happened and people cast their opinions.................

IMO, I see no problem with Ron joining the board to express his side of the story...though in all that hoopla I don't see his point. I think SDM has a right to share what happened to her, I think FCJ has a right to respond. I think all should be professional about it.:wink2:

Just to let you all know...

I was talking with Ron recently (from Fairway Glass) and he says they expect to be adding one or two sizes in the metro jars this summer. Maybe sooner. :yay:

I will only buy my jars from him and I'm thrilled that they will be adding this style. Woo hooo!!

Yay! They're a good company.

I agree that both sides should be able to state their case..however I do think that this whole thing could have been avoided by Ron simply offering to send her another jar..even if he had her send the broken one back to him, but that is what I would expect out of good customer service...some opinions differ on that. As for the comments directed to grannyscandles, I totally agree that was over the line and not called for at all. If someone was all over your favorite supplier you would be right there defending them by commenting on how great you think they are. Just my opinion;)

I agree that both sides should be able to state their case..however I do think that this whole thing could have been avoided by Ron simply offering to send her another jar..even if he had her send the broken one back to him, but that is what I would expect out of good customer service...some opinions differ on that. As for the comments directed to grannyscandles, I totally agree that was over the line and not called for at all. If someone was all over your favorite supplier you would be right there defending them by commenting on how great you think they are. Just my opinion;)

Amen Sweet!!!

Usually I don't have time to reply here, if I do it's to try and help someone out. This thread just slays me though and I have to put in my 2cents. As a candlemaker and a small shop owner, just as a business person what this man from Fancy Candle Jars has done is apalling....from his first email to his customer (or potential customer) to his attempt to redeem himself on this board. If anyone owes anyone an apology he does. This is where customer service has slid to....from a snotty, disrespectful email to the same as a post on this board.

I hope that all of the future shop owners, on line store owners, anyone here is selling or is going to sell their product in the future will realize that this man has lost a lot of future and present customers because of his "customer service" and will never be as condescending to anyone they deal with.

While I agree he has a right to give his point of view he would have been better off if he had worded it differently or simply had not bothered. All he did IMO was make a bad situation worse and to show his butt....which isn't a pretty sight at all.

Edited and my thanks to Trish who nicely "saved" the day.

:shocked2:

Totaly uncalled for!! Who's got the soap???

This is not a basher board, why jump someone because they like a certain supplier?

I also see no reason to jump someone because they are getting good service from a supplier or say that they must be getting kickbacks..... many here praise Peaks to no end and don't get accused of getting kickbacks. I personally don't see what is so great about them, I've had some of their FO's and they weren't any better than most of the other FO's I get elsewhere. Peaks has a SPECIALS page that hasn't changed in over a year that I've been checking their website out. Do they EVER have anything but molds on special? Just curious...:confused:

Just to clarify why so many people talk about Peak......They are the reason we have this forum, just in case you weren't aware. Without them this forum would not exist, so you should appreciate that. They also have outstanding customer service and would never talk to anyone that way. I understand you being upset, but bringing another supplier into this (especially a great company like Peak), just to make a point is not called for. :tiptoe: ........now back to our regular scheduled programming.

Ok, this seems to have really turned into a bashing thread as someone else mentioned.

Let me make this clear (as mud ;) ) :

I DID not say Grannyscandles WAS getting kickbacks, only that it seemed as though she is and really only said in half seriousness, as she is sooooooo tootin' their horn all the time, and really the only problem I had was that she saw NOTHING wrong with what Ron (from Fancy Jar Candles) replied to Susan in the first place. Most everyone else who read it saw that it wasn't quite professional and was a bit condescending, and for her NOT to "see" that at all, just made me wonder (this combined with a lot of other posts by her).

Furthermore, I also stated that even if she was, who cares? Big deal, I'd do it if a supplier offered me a deal. I don't see what I said as BASHING or FLAMING as some here have called it. Believe me it was NOT my intention to be hateful-actually was trying to be kind of funny which obviously Backfired on me BIG time. :eek:

And NO I wasn't trying to be "Clever" in my reply only show you that what you had mentioned about people reading things the wrong way goes both ways. ;)

I am taking this time to PUBLICLY apologize to Grannyscandles, NOT because Ron from FJC says I should :rolleyes: because in light of all the responses that that my comment has gotten I have seen ( and had the time to think)where it was taken the wrong way, not at all what I had originally intended.

Therefore I AM sorry for what I said and how it was taken, no matter what YOU may believe Grannyscandles I was NOT being hateful and have Never before done anything here to make people believe that of me, and for those of you who did believe the worst of me, how sad that makes me.

Someone else said that we should ALL be able to voice our opinions on here, well that just ain't so, point proven right here.

You can only say something/post something as long as someone doesn't mistakenly take offense to it.

I never ever said anything about how people shouldn't be able to spout off about their fav. supplier, geesh, this thing is just growing and growing and getting exaggerated more and more.

It's a shame that I now feel I have to really censor what I say/write and really feel that I cannot voice MY opinion while others jump to conclusions and sure voice THEIRS. :(

Ok, this seems to have really turned into a bashing thread as someone else mentioned.

Let me make this clear (as mud ;) ) :

I DID not say Grannyscandles WAS getting kickbacks, only that it seemed as though she is and really only said in half seriousness, as she is sooooooo tootin' their horn all the time, and really the only problem I had was that she saw NOTHING wrong with what Ron (from Fancy Jar Candles) replied to Susan in the first place. Most everyone else who read it saw that it wasn't quite professional and was a bit condescending, and for her NOT to "see" that at all, just made me wonder (this combined with a lot of other posts by her).

Furthermore, I also stated that even if she was, who cares? Big deal, I'd do it if a supplier offered me a deal. I don't see what I said as BASHING or FLAMING as some here have called it. Believe me it was NOT my intention to be hateful-actually was trying to be kind of funny which obviously Backfired on me BIG time. :eek:

And NO I wasn't trying to be "Clever" in my reply only show you that what you had mentioned about people reading things the wrong way goes both ways. ;)

I am taking this time to PUBLICLY apologize to Grannyscandles, NOT because Ron from FJC says I should :rolleyes: because in light of all the responses that that my comment has gotten I have seen ( and had the time to think)where it was taken the wrong way, not at all what I had originally intended.

Therefore I AM sorry for what I said and how it was taken, no matter what YOU may believe Grannyscandles I was NOT being hateful and have Never before done anything here to make people believe that of me, and for those of you who did believe the worst of me, how sad that makes me.

Someone else said that we should ALL be able to voice our opinions on here, well that just ain't so, point proven right here.

You can only say something/post something as long as someone doesn't mistakenly take offense to it.

I never ever said anything about how people shouldn't be able to spout off about their fav. supplier, geesh, this thing is just growing and growing and getting exaggerated more and more.

It's a shame that I now feel I have to really censor what I say/write and really feel that I cannot voice MY opinion while others jump to conclusions and sure voice THEIRS. :(

Michi (((HUGS)))

I for one do not want to see you having to censor what you write. I dont with mine and if people dont like it, they can move on and ignore me. Don't stop writing what you feel because of other people. You have every right to post what you want as long as its in the CT guidelines. Some people get their panties and jocks in a wad and don't know what else to do other than come on here and try to analayze what others are saying. It's a shame too! And whatever you do, do NOT under any circumstances apologize to that guy. He has lost a lot of business because of the way he acted. I am sure Granny will forgive you.

Christina

As a fellow candle maker I have frequented this board often as a reference for fragrance oil recommendations for soy wax. I did that Saturday night and was surprised my e-mail to WAX DRIP was perceived so negatively.

The real problem is perception. I have used those two signs she took exception to because they made sense to me.Most everyone uses a warning

label, or instructions on the bottom of each candle sold.Many of us offer a

burning tips,or instructions for best results page with each candle sold. Why,

are we trying to insult the customer? I think not. I use and recommend using two signs near my displays that make sense to me regardless of the source of the glass candle jar. One reads, "Please use two hands when handling the candle jars." The second read is, "To open the jars, please twist lid in either direction and pull up." I've used these signs at more than a hundred craft shows, Christmas events,county fairs and even conventions and no one has ever mentioned being offended by them. I have even traveled to Susan's home state twice for conventions as well as a half dozen other states. Most people considered them directions for best results. I use these directions to help prevent accidents that could hurt people. The intent is to show concern for the well-being of the customer. How do I benefit from being "intentionally" rude to a prospective customer I have just sent a free sample? Who would do that?

"SHOULD VENDORS HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO RESPOND ON THIS SITE?"

Isn't almost everyone who posts or references this site a vendor or prospective vendor? Aren't we all vendors? Aren't we all in this business together? Who among you would not want a chance to respond to an angry

customer over an innocent comment?

My hope, and maybe your's is that this person would ask you directly for an explanation rather than post an angry message or sign for public opinion.

On one footnote I saw a quote that seems to apply. It says,"You'll never get anywhere in life if you're not smart enough to realize you could not be wrong." It was not intentional.

Ron Meyers

Yes Ron, people do include warnings on jar CANDLES. I have NEVER seen anyone include a warning or instructions on how to open an empty jar. Ever. I doubt people would take offense to a warning telling them to use both hands to handle the jar candle in order to avoid breakage. It makes sense. Jars can be heavy and slip; an empty jar--not so much.

Telling Susan to use both hands and easily twist the lid and pull up seems rather silly. How else do you think she would be able to open it? Isn't there really only one way? By your lame directions on how to open a jar, it seems like you're accusing her of not having enough common sense to know how to open a jar. Since you didn't offer any excuse as to why the jar cracked or say this was an isolated incident, maybe you think she was acting like a baboon throwing it around the room to try and get the lid off and caused it to crack.

Susan's post was one of frustration. I think she was merely looking to see if she was the only one who would be upset by your insulting reply. She tried to communicate with you directly, and you responded by giving her instructions on how to open a jar. You did not tell her that she received a defective jar. You did not tell her that had never happened before. You did not ask any questions regarding how the jar may have been handled that could have created the problem. You did not ask if perhaps the package it shipped in might have looked damage (perhaps creating a hairline fracture that no one noticed).

When a business responds to your complaint with such an attitude as you gave her, do you think she would have had any interest in corresponding with you further? She got nowhere the first time. You had a chance to correspond to an "angry customer", who at the time was not even angry it seems! You just blew your chance.

You said "The intent is to show concern for the well-being of the customer. How do I benefit from being "intentionally" rude to a prospective customer I have just sent a free sample? Who would do that?"

You may not be intentionally rude, but you're sure not learning from your mistakes either. The majority of the people here seem to agree that your email was pretty off-base. I can't believe you can read all of these posts and still not find anything wrong with the way this was handled.

It seems like you're being rather combative about the entire issue, and not really trying to provide great customer service or offer anyone any type of reassurance about that particular sample Susan had a problem with. Here's a golden opportunity for you though--instead of saying you were misunderstood, why not address the issue she had with her sample? Do you think it was defective, or do you think she doesn't know how to open a jar?

Thanks Trish ! Customer "service" like that really gets me fired up :mad:. I think established business people should be setting a good customer service example for those just starting out. Believe me, if you start out treating people that way you will not make it....and if you manage to hide your butt until you are established and then let it show you won't be growing your business.....and back tracking and trying to say "you didn't mean it" just doesn't cut it. Be a man, stand up and apologize. JMHO

Sock Monkey...you are very eloquent and articulate not to mention correct on every point.

As a fellow candle maker I have frequented this board often as a reference for fragrance oil recommendations for soy wax. I did that Saturday night and was surprised my e-mail to WAX DRIP was perceived so negatively.

The real problem is perception. I have used those two signs she took exception to because they made sense to me.Most everyone uses a warning

label, or instructions on the bottom of each candle sold.Many of us offer a

burning tips,or instructions for best results page with each candle sold. Why,

are we trying to insult the customer? I think not. I use and recommend using two signs near my displays that make sense to me regardless of the source of the glass candle jar. One reads, "Please use two hands when handling the candle jars." The second read is, "To open the jars, please twist lid in either direction and pull up." I've used these signs at more than a hundred craft shows, Christmas events,county fairs and even conventions and no one has ever mentioned being offended by them. I have even traveled to Susan's home state twice for conventions as well as a half dozen other states. Most people considered them directions for best results. I use these directions to help prevent accidents that could hurt people. The intent is to show concern for the well-being of the customer. How do I benefit from being "intentionally" rude to a prospective customer I have just sent a free sample? Who would do that?

"SHOULD VENDORS HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO RESPOND ON THIS SITE?"

Isn't almost everyone who posts or references this site a vendor or prospective vendor? Aren't we all vendors? Aren't we all in this business together? Who among you would not want a chance to respond to an angry

customer over an innocent comment?

My hope, and maybe your's is that this person would ask you directly for an explanation rather than post an angry message or sign for public opinion.

On one footnote I saw a quote that seems to apply. It says,"You'll never get anywhere in life if you're not smart enough to realize you could not be wrong." It was not intentional.

Ron Meyers

In the benefit of the doubt, I do not think anything was misunderstood, I think you possibly chose a bad story to tell. Sh*t happens, you may not have intended to make her feel like an idiot, and I am sure that your signs work wonderfully at craft shows and in stores(and people expect to see these at craft shows and stores). I do however do not think that this is how you should have addressed a potential customer. Your story would have possibly been fine, if it appeared that you had geniuinely(sp) cared that she reported to you that her jar was defective(or whatever the case may be).

I think this is a lesson learned, that care should be placed in all responses to potential customers. You never know how someone is going to perceive what you type. :wink2:

I would like to tell you that I knew why the jar broke but I don't know. Possibly there was a hairline crack that neither Susan or I saw. Maybe the jar was damaged in shipping. Maybe it broke simply because it was glass. Personally, I've been breaking candle jars for years and I never can explain it.

While it's not an everyday issue, it certainly has happened before because of the above mentioned reasons.

If there is any good news about this entire experience, it's that Susan or another family member wasn't hurt. I am thankful for that!!!!

Ron meyers