Metro Jar from Fancy Candle Jars

SDM

I'm not even sure if this is the right place to post this, but I just had to tell somebody what happened. I had requested a sample of the 12oz metro jar from Fancy Candle Jars. They shipped it out right away. When I took it out of the closet last week to pour a candle in it, I took the lid off, and the jar cracked right down the side! All I did was take the lid off! But wait, it gets better! They had emailed me when they sent the sample out and suggested a wick size to use if I was using soy and for me to let them know my thoughts. Well since I had their email address, and all I did was take a lid off and it cracked, I figured I'd email them and let them know that the jar had cracked. It wasn't a nasty email. I just let them know that the jar cracked just from taking the lid off. You should see the response I got back! I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post their response here or not, but I guess it was apparently my fault that the jar cracked and I apparently don't know how to open a candle jar! I am so fuming right now it's not even funny! I thought maybe they would offer to send another type of jar out to me or something. I didn't know that I was going to be called stupid (not directly said, but close enough!) If I'm allowed to post their response here and someone would like to see it, please let me know! Or, tell me if I'm wrong here. Maybe a jar should crack when the lid is taken off! I didn't DROP the jar, I took the lid off. I'm not even sure what I should do. I'm obviously not ever going to buy from them, so why waste my time sending them an email letting them know what I thought of their product and their response? Where's it going to get me? No where, except maybe more mad. Whew! Sorry for the long rant, but I'm really upset! :mad:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not familiar with the company you mentioned, but I can understand why you'd be upset at getting a negative response. Especially from a company you're thinking of starting a business relationship with. Perhaps it's better you found out way early in the game instead of later, KWIM?

Re: glass items, I'm going to post here what I mentioned on another board just yesterday...

Glass can and will break from temp changes, pressure, or just spontaneously. Yes, spontaneously for no seeming good reason. Why? Because when glass is heated and formed it acquires a lot of internal stress. Generally the stress is relieved during manufacturing by running it through a temp-controlled process in a kiln or lehr. But sometimes the kiln conditions aren't quite right to ease enough of the stress, and so the glass is a time bomb waiting to happen. It's the nature of glass.

I'd guess that removing the lid caused just enough change in pressure to the jar that an internal stress flaw gave way. It's no one's fault, really, as even good manufacturing practices can't guarantee a jar won't break. We glass product manufacturers do the best we can to minimize glass stress.

That said, it's too bad the company you dealt with gave you a hard time. Perhaps they have little knowledge of the science of glass. At any rate, it's no excuse to berate a customer.

~Mag

(hot glass artist)

Those are the same jars I've been using from the same place and my experience so far is the jars have been very inconsistant. On a few, the jars are thinner, the tops on a few have been uneven, and on a few the lids went on very tight or were very loose. I need more consistancy from the same jar. So I started pricing out with shipping, the same jar from other places. And found that The Jar Store is only a few dollars more per case but a better quality product. So, I switched my supplier for those jars.

I never had bad customer service from them, and their prices were the best, but the product wasn't good enough for me.

Yah, I wasn't overly impressed with the samples I recieved from them either, and now that I know they treated you like that, well............... need I say more? Definitely do not even want to contimplate doing business with someone like that. That's a shame really, it could have been handled sooo much more differently, and had a completely different outcome on your end.

Their loss huh? Too bad sooo sad!!

Oh, and if it was MOI?? I'd post the email, just cuz I'd want everyone to see the "proof" of how they treated me, a prospective customer. But I'm just bitchy that way I guess. ;)

hmmmm, I thought some people posted that they had had the same problem with some metro jars they received, but I can't remember if they from Fancy Candle Jars.

I also received the samples. I have tested in them twice with no problems, but this makes me nervous.

I totally get it that glass is fragile and can break. And I understand that there are sometimes defects or flaws in an item that can cause it to break more easily. It's not like I had emailed this place asking for a free case of jars or something. I wasn't asking for anything. I thought they needed to know what happened. If it happened to me, it had to have happened to someone else. Below is their response to me. Below that is my original email to them letting them know what happened (not mean or nasty, in my opinion anyway). What I read between the lines in his response to me is : you're an IDIOT and don't know how to open a jar and you had to have done something wrong because we sell QUALITY products that couldn't have possibly have broken if you weren't so STUPID and could open a jar properly!

Susan

I have read your letter many times about your broken Metro jar. I want to tell you a story. Several years ago I was in a YANKEE candle store and saw two signs. The first read" Please use two hands when handling the candle jars". The second sign read" To open jars, "Easily Twist lid in either direction and pull up."

Yankee realized that "ANYONE" can break a glass candle jar so they provided, "DIRECTIONS."

Because of your experience with opening a candle jar, I am sending directions on all future shipments.

We sell METRO jars to CANDLEMAKERS all over the country. They are bought because they are easy to SELL!!!!!! They buy from my company because of price, Quality, and service.

Good luck with your future candlemaking ventures.

Ron Meyers

Hi! I did receive the sample Metro jar, but unfortunately when I took it out of the closet today to pour a test candle in it, it cracked down the side when I took the lid off. I had heard that the Metro jars did crack easily, but I liked the look of it so much. I will have to try another jar type to do some testing in. I appreciate your quick response in getting the sample sent out. Thanks.

Susan

Susan,

I had the same problem with a melting pot jar. My husband went to put the lid back on it. He didn't know his own strength because all he did was replace the lid and it shattered in his hand. A lot of the glass blown jars are thinner compared to the machine pressed which is like Yankee and Beanpod use. The Jar Store even told me there is a difference in thickness.

Wow! I've been testing this jar from them, and although I haven't had one break on me, I'm glad you posted this! Does anyone know if the Jar Store's metros are machine pressed? I'm sorry you had this bad experience :mad:, but thanks for the warning!

Susan, I do not think your email to them implied anything or was deragatory in nature at all.

That being said, their response to YOU was uncalled for. Yes, he (Ron) essentially called you an idiot that doesn't know how to take the lid off a jar properly, and basically said that you must NOT be a candlemaker.

Frankly, after reading that, even if I never have any problems with these two samples they sent me (IF I even decide to test with them), I wouldn't buy from them!!!!! :mad:reallymad.gif

Can you imagine if he told each and everyone of his "many candlemakers all over the country" this, how many customers he'd actually have?????

Oh and gotta love his line about how they all buy from him for his GREAT service!!

If that's great service, then I'm the Queen of England!! :rolleyes: LOL

I'd rather pay over and above what I thought reasonable for a jar and get courteous service and be treated with RESPECT, than to get something cheap!!!

Just my 10cents worth! ;)

Hi,

I too buy my Metro Jars from The Jar Store. I had one break when I put the lid back ON. It shocked me as I had been burning the candle and I let it cool for hours and when I went to put the lid on, it shattered. It made me uneasy about these jars and they are SOOOOOOO pretty. I still love The Jar Store and will order my jars from them, but I don't think I will be ordering the Metro Jars again. :( They are very thin, IMO. ;)

What a terrible reply you received from that supplier!!! Your email was FINE...his was nasty and uncalled for. I certainly won't be doing ANY business with that company!!

Hang in there! :)

Well to start off I am very sorry you have had such a bad experience. I have some samples from there and from the Jar store, though I don't see much difference in them. As with anything glass there is always a possiblity of breakage, but I agree that the way it was handled was uncalled for. Unfortunatley, with written word there is no way of knowing what the person writing was intending the interpretation to be.

I have had email correspondence with Ron several times with no problems, though I have not had my jars break either, but this truly enlightens my decision on where I will probably order from. I have gotten excellent customer service from the Jar Store. I even had Paula call and ask me how my testing was going.

I would never give up on a jar over one mishap, the supplier who does not know how to handle themselves professionally yes I would dump in a minute. I have tested and tested in my jar store metros without any problems. I have not tested in the Fancy Candle Jars yet, but I will certainly be very careful when I do.

Thanks for the heads up on this company.

Just to let you all know...

I was talking with Ron recently (from Fairway Glass) and he says they expect to be adding one or two sizes in the metro jars this summer. Maybe sooner. :yay:

I will only buy my jars from him and I'm thrilled that they will be adding this style. Woo hooo!!

I have had no problems with my metros from Fancy Candle Jars. Ron worked with me to get shipping down as well. I have even used the same jar for test burns over and over with NO problem at all.

I think all jars can break and will when you least expect it. I had a mason canning jar crack and they are suppose to be great under pressure and extreme heat. Glass breaks.

As far as his response, I really didnt' see anything to be upset about. If Yankme puts warnings on their jars and instructions for opening and closing, it must be for good reason. Glass breaks.

As far as his response, I really didnt' see anything to be upset about. If Yankme puts warnings on their jars and instructions for opening and closing, it must be for good reason. Glass breaks.

IMO I believe there could have been more thought in the way the story was presented. I have had only good dealings via email with Ron, but I can see by his reply how someone would be made to feel like an idiot that can't open a simple jar. Why couldn't he have just stated that he was sorry that this happened and thank you for reporting it to him. I just feel that his response could have been handled a little better from a customers point of view.

I requested samples from FCJ THREE times. And never, ever received them. Now I guess there was reason for that. After not receiving the jars after three calls and three months I asked the Jar Store for some. They sent me 4 samples and I got them in less than a week.

FCJ was quite a bit cheaper but I wasn't sure if my orders were ever going to get to my house, so I couldn't risk it.

You are better off knowing how this business conducts itself before you placed any orders. He was really rude with all his exclamation points and capital letters, and over nothing. Maybe he keeps getting tons of emails telling him his jars are breaking and yours was the straw that broke the camel's back. So he went off on you. :(

I was going to try samples from Fancy, but now I'm a bit turned off by their attitude. I had some metro samples from the jar store and thought they were thin and that the lids were more sturdy than the jar itself. I mentioned it to Paula and she said that's they way they are because they are frosted. Well, i have frosted jars from another supplier that aren't thin by any means. Suppliers have different quality, so it pays to shop around.

And, by the way, they should be vying for your business. I think good customer service goes a long way. Don't give your business to someone who disrespects you.

I have had no problems with my metros from Fancy Candle Jars. Ron worked with me to get shipping down as well. I have even used the same jar for test burns over and over with NO problem at all.

I think all jars can break and will when you least expect it. I had a mason canning jar crack and they are suppose to be great under pressure and extreme heat. Glass breaks.

Of course you wouldn't, you are always tooting their horn over here. :rolleyes:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I think GrannysCandles is getting some kind of kick back from FCJ aka Ron for hyping his company up and getting people to order from him.

Nothing wrong with that per say, but when you can't pull the wool away for a second to actually SEE that what Ron replied to Susan was indeed condescending and just plain rude, well.......... :rolleyes:

I guess if one of her customers came to her with a broken candle jar, then she would have no problems telling her customer that "ANYONE" can break a jar and I provided you with "DIRECTIONS", and this is a QUALITY jar that is easy to "SELL" and the PRICE is right. No apologies on what happened. I would guess that this customer would not be a customer again.

Again, as I said, I understand glass breaks. But I think a simple apology on what happened was not too much to ask. And considering the fact that I was a potential first time customer. I wasn't asking for a bunch of free stuff because of what happened. Could this have happened with any other company's jars? Of course. But I hope not every other jar company would respond the same way. There's good customer service and then there's not so good customer service. And yes, I agree that when something's written in an email it is sometimes difficult to know what message was intended, and it is very easy to interpret something one way when it was not meant to come across that way. But, I don't think that is the case here. Luckily there are other companies to shop at.

And I want to thank everyone for their thoughts, words of encouragement, and info. That is what is nice about this message board, you can get a variety of opinions (everyone's entitled to them! :cheesy2: ) and lots of good info! Thanks everyone! :D

Heather - You are right. He could have been more professional but sometimes I think we don't realize how we sound in an email. I am sure his intentions were not to make her feel like an idiot. He just doesn't seem like that kind of person to me. I have bought jars from The Jar Store as well and I think Ron's jars are of comparable quality with better prices.

I just hate to see a good supplier slammed because of one poorly thought out email response. I will continue to order from Fancy Candle Jars.