Fragrance Twins

AngelaVA

I thought it might be fun to list any fragrance twins we've found - FOs from different suppliers that smell very similiar. Here are mine:

Tri-State Clean Cotton and MC High Cotton

JS Mimosa Mandarin and MC Magenta Nectar (these don't smell the same OOB, but once is wax they are virtually identical, imho)

Any others? :)

KY--roasted coffee and ICS coffee bean

KY--Wildberry Scone and ICS Wildberry----(forgot what they call theirs)

KY--Southern Vanilla and SS Country Vanilla (super close, maybe identical)

Missy's(JS)-- Christmas Cookie and KH (Keystone) Christmas Cookie

JS's-- Victorian Vanilla Lace and SS sweet snow

JS-- pomegranate and BCN Pomegranate--pretty close

KY--Creme brulee and JBN Creme brulee

Keystone(KH)--Pumpkin Fudge and SS Vanilla Pumpkin

I have a huge list at our shop of identical scents. this is what I remembered off the top of my head....

edited with a couple more I remembered :)

I have sampled many scents from suppliers & FO manufactures and found some similar. It's been a while since I sampled any to remember what they were.

The reason they smell similar could be this...

We don't know where the suppliers buy their FO. They could be buying from the same suppiler and just changing the name. That way, to us the buyer, we think, because of the name, it's different.

I'm sure some, if not many, suppliers have caught on to this to help increase their sales. They may check their computition of their scents and decide on a name change.

I do the name change on some scents and sometimes it sells better and sometimes not.

I thought it might be fun to list any fragrance twins we've found - FOs from different suppliers that smell very similiar. Here are mine:

Tri-State Clean Cotton and MC High Cotton

JS Mimosa Mandarin and MC Magenta Nectar (these don't smell the same OOB, but once is wax they are virtually identical, imho)

Any others? :)

Great idea Angela.

Great idea Angela.

Thanks. I was pouring some soy testers yesterday and decided to use a 2oz sample of Magenta Nectar from MC. OOB is doesn't smell like Mimosa Mandarin (which I have a ton of), but once it hit the wax I knew immediately that it would smell the same when burning. It irks me a little because I could have dropped that sample and ordered a different one instead (there sure are plenty more I want to try, lol). I can't carry both because they smell the same. Just wish I knew beforehand. :rolleyes2

I know what you mean. It's bit deceitful in a way. Nature's Garden carries both the Twigs and Berries AND Tayberry and Teakwood, they are the same exact scent with two different names. They need to drop one of them because people are going to order one of these thinking that it's something totally different...thus wasting their money if they already have one or the other.

• Like 1

I know what you mean. It's bit deceitful in a way. Nature's Garden carries both the Twigs and Berries AND Tayberry and Teakwood, they are the same exact scent with two different names. They need to drop one of them because people are going to order one of these thinking that it's something totally different...thus wasting their money if they already have one or the other.

I heard someone else talk about NG the other day. I'm in the middle of placing an order and probably would have ordered both, had I not known that they are they same. That would really tick me off too. I have limited funds to play with here and I don't want to waste my money. I can understand different suppliers carrying Fos that smell the same, but a single supplier should not do so.

That's so weird to me that you think Magenta Nectar and Mandarin Mimosa smell the same. Magenta nectar makes me gag, and mandarin mimosa is one of my favorites-lol I don't think they smell the same at all to me.

Only duplications I can think of offhand are Daystars Polynesian Delight, Peaks' Jamaica Me Crazy and NG's Bermuda Triangle all smell the same to me.

That's so weird to me that you think Magenta Nectar and Mandarin Mimosa smell the same. Magenta nectar makes me gag, and mandarin mimosa is one of my favorites-lol I don't think they smell the same at all to me.

Only duplications I can think of offhand are Daystars Polynesian Delight, Peaks' Jamaica Me Crazy and NG's Bermuda Triangle all smell the same to me.

That's funny because they smell exactly the same to me, lol. Completely identical, imho.

Good to know about NG Bermuda Triangle. I was going to order a sample, but don't need something that smells like JMC.

Oh man, I had a few that I think are so much alike if not identical, but one of them that I will always remember that smell identical to me are:

Peaks Asian Sandalwood and CandleCocoon's Sunwashed Amber (I think that is what it is called). I couldn't tell one from the other.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I remembered this interesting thread Angela started awhile ago, when I just ran across this VERY interesting FO twin, IMO, Heartfelt's Enchanted, and ICS Japanese Plum! I was so surprised! I am a HUGE fan of ICS Japanese Plum :drool: , and got this Heartfelt oil from the classy's: same scent!!! What a trip!:rolleyes2

I remembered this interesting thread Angela started awhile ago, when I just ran across this VERY interesting FO twin, IMO, Heartfelt's Enchanted, and ICS Japanese Plum! I was so surprised! I am a HUGE fan of ICS Japanese Plum :drool: , and got this Heartfelt oil from the classy's: same scent!!! What a trip!:rolleyes2

Thanks! I've been meaning to try the Japanese Plum for a while now and just never remember to order it. Haven't ordered from Heartfelt before

Angela- Highly recommend it, for some reason, the ICS version seems stronger to me, now, this is just going by a tart, but when I melt a ICS JP tart, that thing will scent forever! The Heartfelt Enchanted tart I did last night simmered out by night's end...Who knows...JP throws like crazy in my 50/50 jars too!:cheesy2:

• 2 months later...

I've been trying lots of different suppliers lately and I've found some more scents that smell alike:

1.) Orange Chiffon Cake-JS, Hot Orange Danish-NG

2.) Banana Split-DS, Monkey Farts-AH

3.) Serendipity-JS, Cupid-BCN/BNL

4.) Framboise Citron Cheesecake-AH, Iced Lemon Danish-Peak

5.) Ultimate Vanilla-DS, French Vanilla-AH, Vanilla Voodoo-CC

6.) Candy Corn-JS, CC, BCN

7.) Eggnog-BCN, Custard-AWE

8.) Silky V Vanilla-JS, Very Vanilla-BCN, Vanilla Extract-BCS,

Simply Vanilla-DS, Glazed Donut-TC, Angel Food Cake-WSP

9.) Coconut Cream Pie-BCN, JS

10.) Twinkies-JS, Nanny's Country Pound Cake-DS

Of course this is just my opinion. Maybe I'm way off. Any thoughts?