Chandlers Trade Mag Launching Summer 06!!!

I'm from Canada so I'm crossing my fingers that maybe one day something like this will hit this side of the border. I'd love to see some articles interviewing some of the amazing artists we have here. I could name dozens but hey Donita's work is amazing, Top is top, Scented is great - so many, I could keep naming for hours - all wonderful people that have done absolutely stunning work & shown a real dedication to their craft & still find time to show us newbies the ropes.

Kellyo

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG!! Yes, I can't believe it, that is absolutely wonderful news :yay: :yay: Please, please count me in!

As for suggestions, how about keeping us "little guys" {non-sellers} in mind. I for one would love to see different techniques in making candles, such as tie-dying candles...tried it, won't work for me. Plus other candle techniques, I know some have already been discussed on this board here, but if it was in a magazine I'd have ready access to it: balloon candles, using two piece candle molds correctly {read: I can't get rid of the seam!} There are so many others.

Would love to see charts on wicks, perhaps a question and answer column, a trouble shooting column...pics of beautiful candles to inspire me, such as I've seen on this board. Maybe something about how different waxes "work", gosh I don't know, there's so much you can put in there! Stuff like decorating your candles, packaging, etc. I am so looking forward to this! :drool:

Scent mixing ideas! I've played around some, but I'm afraid to waste FO and have it come out like when I accidently mixed clean cotton and frosted carrot cake - YUK!!!

Inspiration stories are great - the little guy makes it big.

How about some of the trials and tribulations our foreign chandlers have to overcome and how they manage.

Packaging, marketing, booth set up, wholesaling...oh, there are too many topics!

Not sure if these were mentioned, wick suggestions with what wax and the size candle your making, kind of a recommended starting point for your testing. For example IGI 1343-votives-36-24-24, so that when we start testing with a new wax. Then we can move up or down as needed from there. FO mixing for new scents is a great suggestion! Consumer reviews on suppliers and or products.

Many chandlers also make B&B and soap. Thats a whole new topic, but would be a great addition to your magazine. It provide a whole new set of advertisers, potential readers, etc.

I think having a trade magazine would be an awesome and helpful idea for both newbies and experienced chandlers. Techniques, Business, Marketing, and Advertising ideas would be appreciated. Maybe you could even spotlight an chandler and supplier each month. Maybe you could highlight some of their achievements and how they managed to stay in the business. Something like that that could inspire all chandlers alike.

For B&B recipes would be good, techniques, supplier reviews, product reviews (i.e. M&P Bases, or any base for that matter) Lye suppliers since this has become hard to find, packaging & displays, many of the same things chandlers are interested in. I'll go to the B&B section and bring this thread to the soapers attention for more ideas.

Oh, I like to do it all -- you name it! Pillars, containers, CP soap, HP soap, lotions, lip butters, scrubs, whipped butters ... the works! Sounds right up my alley if it will have a bit of everything. You know, a mag for us Jills of All Trades. Bwa-hahaha!