Mice eatting my wax...

Okay, this winter I first laughed when I saw little teeth marks all over a pillar candle of mine that hand embedded apple slices. UM, Gross. the wax was scented apple freesia :lipsrseal but this little guy still dug through it to try and get the apple slice.

THEN, just today I go into my garage to grab an old slab of 6006...and literally, there's a chunked chewed off as big as my fist.

I must have rats the size of my 2 year old. I'm thoroughly grossed out. Is this what farm life is all about? If so, I'm moving. My cats not doing his business. Do I need more cats? more traps? I mean, if I want to eventually move this operation into the garage/barn...then damnit I don't want critters all over my stuff!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EEWWWW... Thought the big thousand legger in my wax was gross..

(I killed it and it some of it's legs fell off. When I made my candles that day, I found little legs floating in my candles!!)

So just be careful if ya kill the critter he doesn't end up in you candle!!

In the spring if I open a window, I get the smallest bugs I ever saw. Floating in my wax. Yuck.. I have to keep windows closed and tell DH to turn on the air. He doesn't go for it too often, man does it get hot in my pouring room. I keep my wax in my garage and have for years, no critters. Yet!

Maybe you can find something to store your items in when not in use like a garbage can with a lid for your wax that way little critters won't be helping themselves. And yes that is how farm life is, be thankful that all that helped themselves was a few mice, you can find some nasty critters on farms.

I just bought a storage container on wheels at WalMart to house my wax in this week. They come in brown or blue. I got the brown to help keep out more light! They will hold approx. 4-5 cases of wax. I paid 17.00 for the one, but well worth it I think!! Just a idea! I hope my winter critters wont eat through it!!

God Bless,

Lynn

I'm having a rat problem too, but in my brand new car!!! It sucks I have tried everything natural and the essential oils worked until the rats just found a new area of my engine to lounge in. On the transmission, where I can't spray the oils. I was trying not to kill the little fella but now I'm thinking no more mr. nice guy here. It is kind of funny though that everywhere I go I smell patchouli coming from my car.

The essential oils I was using are peppermint, spearmint, and patchouli. I mixed them together in a 1oz sprayer with some veg oil as the base. It really did keep them from the area I sprayed in. You could mist your wax bags with this mix or get a big tub from Target, put the wax in it, then spray around it. I also came up with an ant repellant too made from essential oils.

I have a big yucky pot of old wax I pour my old testers in when I clean the containers. And I found the rats were eating this too. Their droppings were in it and big teeth marks everywhere. How could they eat it with all the FOs and dye in there. YUCK!!! I don't care if they eat this if they want to, I'm throwing it away anyway. But it is still really gross.

Haha! Just wait til you start finding colored turds everywhere!

In the last house I lived it, we had this problem. (well, mice not rats thank goodness..lol) I purchased rubbermaid storage plastic bins. Never had ate up wax since then.

One of my rats took a nibble out of a bar of soap I had curing. He just got a tiny bite and he chewed it all, so apparently it did taste good to him. I was scared to death the FO would make him sick, but he was fine.

Rats love many many types of foods & flavors. Variety is a big thing for them. There are few things they won't eat... but they are normally very cautious in trying new "foods". They can't vomit, so when trying a new "food" they eat small amounts, then wait to see if they feel sick. If they feel sick, they'll associate that with what they ate last, and will avoid it in the future. So if they're coming back and eating a lot of wax, it must not be too harmful to them...

Jeana, have you tried live traps? That should get him.