Looking for universal preservative

Guest EMercier

Guest EMercier

I'm looking for a universal preservative to use in my scrubs, lotions, body butter, etc. I just want one thing I can use for all. Also, where can I get it from. I've googled and seen a few receipes and posts here, but I haven't sold my scrub nor my body butter yet. I want to make sure I have this. Thanks in advance! :grin2:

I'd love to have just ONE preservative for everything also. ;)

I don't know about ALL natural preservatives, I've heard that they really don't give you a lasting preserve, but there are a few out there that don't have the paraben (I think that's what it's called?) that people are shying away from lately.

I'll be back after I check out something.......

Ok these look like what you're looking for as far as being more universal, you can use them in scrubs and butters as well emulsified products such as lotions etc.

LiquaPar Optima

SKU: LOPT-045

Broad spectrum liquid preservative system that can be used in a wide variety of cosmetic formulations. Stable, non-volatile, non-irritating, and non-sensitizing at recommended levels, it can be used effectively in aqueous, anhydrous and emulsion-type skin and hair care products.

LiquaPar Oil

SKU: LPO-045 A 100% active, clear, stable, liquid blend of paraben esters effective against Gram-positive bacteria, yeast and mold. Ideal preservative for anhydrous products (body scrubs, lip balms, lipsticks, lotion bars). It can also be used in emulsions.

Any natural ones out there? Been reading about glycerin, but I saw that it is not suggested.

Glycerin isn't a preservative, it's a humectant. Never even seen in on the list of things that "could" be a preservative. Where did you read that EMercier? Would be interested!

Sorry my computer is being funky, so I keep having to repost. :rolleyes:

Phenonip is what I've been using and I according to this is can also be used in a more universal manner:

Phenonip

Broad spectrum, liquid preservative system ideal for use in a wide variety of personal care applications. Effective against Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria, yeasts and molds. Can be used in emulsions and anhydrous formulations.

These are the paraben/formaldahyde FREE preservatives:

Optiphen™ Plus

SKU: OPT-04 Optiphen™ Plus is ISP’s second globally approved preservative in the Optiphen family developed as an alternative for personal care formulations requiring a paraben and formaldehyde-free preservative system, particularly within lower pH systems.

Optiphen™ND

SKU: OPTND-045 Optiphen™ ND is ISP’s third globally approved preservative in the Optiphen family developed as an alternative for personal care formulations requiring a paraben and formaldehyde-free preservative system, particularly within lower pH systems.

HTH

Glycerin isn't a preservative, it's a humectant. Never even seen in on the list of things that "could" be a preservative. Where did you read that EMercier? Would be interested!

Liquapar Optima

A broad spectrum, liquid preservative system designed to prevent microbiological contamination in a wide range of personal care products. Applications in aqueous, anhydrous and emulsion type formulas. Stable, non-irritating, non- sensitizing at recommended levels. LPO is an optimized blend of ingredients that distribute within a formula according to their oil or water affinity to provide total antimicrobial coverage of the water phase, oil phase, oil soluble ingredients and emulsion interfaces. Globally approved for harder to preserve formulations at levels up to 1.4%.

Can be added pre or post emulsification at or below 80°C. If pH of the water is above pH 8 before neutralization, LPO must be added post emulsification.. For non emulsified products, LPO may be incorporated directly into the formula during manufacturing. Can be added to cold systems or at elevated temperatures at a pH range of 3 - 8. May be required in higher levels in formulas with high levels of non-ionics and proteins as these compounds are known to interfere with parabens. Can be combined with Liquid Germall® Plus or other Germall® brand preservatives in very difficult to preserve formulations like silicone in water emulsions. Every new or modified formula should be challenge tested to ensure adequate preservation. LiquaPar Optima is similar in some ways to the widely known Phenonip product. Appropriate for preserving oil based products like salt scrubs that can have water introduced by the end user.

Ingredients:

• Phenoxyethanol 66 - 74%

• Methylparaben 14 - 16%

• Isopropylparaben 5 - 7%

• Isobutylparaben 3.5 - 5.5%

• Butylparaben 3.5 - 5.5%.

LiquaPar Optima is recommended at use levels between 0.5% - 1.0%.

Emphasis mine....

Do you know the ph of your products to know how to use this one properly?

Liquapar Optima

A broad spectrum, liquid preservative system designed to prevent microbiological contamination in a wide range of personal care products. Applications in aqueous, anhydrous and emulsion type formulas. Stable, non-irritating, non- sensitizing at recommended levels. LPO is an optimized blend of ingredients that distribute within a formula according to their oil or water affinity to provide total antimicrobial coverage of the water phase, oil phase, oil soluble ingredients and emulsion interfaces. Globally approved for harder to preserve formulations at levels up to 1.4%.

Can be added pre or post emulsification at or below 80°C. If pH of the water is above pH 8 before neutralization, LPO must be added post emulsification.. For non emulsified products, LPO may be incorporated directly into the formula during manufacturing. Can be added to cold systems or at elevated temperatures at a pH range of 3 - 8. May be required in higher levels in formulas with high levels of non-ionics and proteins as these compounds are known to interfere with parabens. Can be combined with Liquid Germall® Plus or other Germall® brand preservatives in very difficult to preserve formulations like silicone in water emulsions. Every new or modified formula should be challenge tested to ensure adequate preservation. LiquaPar Optima is similar in some ways to the widely known Phenonip product. Appropriate for preserving oil based products like salt scrubs that can have water introduced by the end user.

Ingredients:

• Methylparaben 14 - 16%

Emphasis mine....

Do you know the ph of your products to know how to use this one properly?

This was from the herbarie and taken from my notes.. Didn't mean to neglect that!

Ok.. here's all my notes... lol..

Important links to read when choosing a preservative.

http://www.todieforsoap.com/preservatives.htm

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/library/preservatives.asp

Still working on the cleanliness one.. but for now, wear gloves, bleach your counters, sanatize your equipment, and keep your fingers out of the bowl! (ewwwww.. I'm sure none of you do that though!)

Cause after all is said and done, if you choose the correct preservative then mess it up with improper manufacturing practices, why bother in the first place?

Optiphen

INCI: Phenoxyethanol and Caprylyl Glycol

Paraben and formaldehyde-free preservative! Optiphen is a unique liquid preservative formulation which consists of phenoxyethanol and an emollient base. For use in a variety of formulas such as aqueous, anhydrous and emulsion products. Optiphen is a clear liquid preservative that can be easily added directly to the formulation during pre- or post-emulsification, at or below 80°C. (176°F) Optiphen has no pH restrictions in formulating, and is compatible with most ingredients used in the personal care industry.

Recommended Use Levels: 0.5 - 1.5%

Bunny’s Thoughts: Heard this stuff isn’t adequate by itself. Nuff said for me.

Opthiphen Plus

Also a paraben and formaldehyde free preservative that is a mixture of phenoxyethanol, sorbic acid and an emmoliant base that is ideal for slightly acidic products (under 6.0) but also performs well in products with a ph greater that 6. Works against bacteria, yeast, and mold. Can also be use in pre or post emulsification at or below 80°C. (176°F) Recommended in Creams, lotions, and moisturizers, shampoo, and foundations.

Get some litmus or ph strips if you want to use this one. These can be purchased cheap at www.thesage.com

Recommended Use Levels: .75 – 1.5%

Bunny’s Thoughts: If I had customers worried about parabens, dealing with the ph factor would definitely make this one worth my while.

LiquaPar Oil

LiquaPar is a preservative for sugar scrubs, salt scrubs and other products. LiquaPar Oil can be used in anhydrous mixtures (no water) and simple emulsions. LiquaPar Oil is effective against yeast, mold and gram-positive bacteria. Always have your formulations tested for preservative efficacy before taking them to market.

LiquaPar Oil is a mixture of Isopropylparaben (and) Isobutylparaben (and) Butylparaben.

For your scrubs and butters that have no water we suggest using LiquaPar Oil at a rate of 1% by weight. LiquaPar Oil can be used with other preservatives as well.

Recommended Use Levels: 1 %

Liquapar PE

LiquaPar PE is a 100% active, clear, stable, liquid blend of isopropyl, isobutyl, and n-butyl esters of para hydroxybenzoic acid with phenoxyethanol. This combination of parabens and phenoxyethanol is effective against Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria, yeast, and mold providing broad spectrum activity for worldwide formulations.

All LiquaPar PE components are approved for worldwide use thus allowing sale of the same finished formulation in Japan, Europe, Australia and the United States.

For more complex formulations, a dual preservation system of 1.0% LiquaPar PE in combination with 0.2% ethylenediaminetetra-acetic acid salt (EDTA) has proven effective.

Stable up to 185°F. For cold blends, add LiquPar PE early in the process to allow adequate mixing.

Recommended Use Levels: 1%

Liquid Germall Plus

A paraben-free preservative for your lotions and creams.

INCI: Propylene Glycol (and) Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate

Liquid Germall Plus can be used when you have more water than oil, and when you have more oil than water.

Add to finished formulation at cool-down-50C/122F or less.

Liquid Germall Plus has no known chemical inactivators and is compatible with virtually all cosmetic ingredients. Happy lotion making!

Use Liquid Germall Plus when making emulsions, for both water-heavy or oil-heavy emulsions.

Recommended Use Levels: .01-.05%

Bunny’s thoughts: Very cheap considering how much you use. No Ph stuff is a plus.

Liquapar Optima

Ingredients:

• Methylparaben 14 - 16%

Bunny’s Thoughts: Ok, this one was copied from theherbarie, but I don’t get most of it. Sounds way too confusing for this mind. Get some litmus or ph strips if you want to use this one, as besides the ph stuff, it sounds ok..

Germaben II-E

The II E variation is for creams and lotions that have more than 25% oil in them. Stops mold, yeast and bacteria. Germaben II-E can be used in problem formulations without the need for additional co-preservatives. It is compatible with almost all cosmetic ingredients, including surfactants and proteins.

Germaben II-E can be incorporated into hot or cold processed shampoos, creams and lotions during their manufacture.

The preferred method of addition is to add it slowly to the cosmetic formulation with good stirring after emulsification and just prior to the addition of fragrance.

Germaben II-E contains:

o propylene glycol 60%

o diazolidinyl urea 20%

o methylparaben 10%

o propylparaben 10%

Use Germaben II E when making emulsions that have 25% oil or more.

Recommended Use Level - 1%

Germaben II

To help keep your lotions fresh and growth free, you will need a preservative.

Use Germaben II at a rate of 1% for all your lotions that have less than 25% oil in them. Germaben II is a complete preservative, no need to add additional preservatives to your mixture. Can be used in shampoos and conditioners.

The preferred method of addition is to add it slowly to the cosmetic formulation with good stirring after emulsification and just prior to the addition of fragrance.

Germaben II contains:

o propylene glycol 56%

o diazolidinyl urea 30%

o methylparaben 11%

o propylparaben 3%

Use Germaben II when making emulsions that have 25% oil or less.

Suttocide A

INCI: Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate

Suttocide A is active against gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria, yeast and mold, even at low concentrations. This preservative can also handle a wide range of pH, from 3.5 to 12! Use up to 0.5% of total formulation.

Use in room sprays, body sprays, shampoo, conditioner and soap. Suttocide A, when used in conjunction with LiquaPar Oil, is particularly effective in complex formulations.

Phenonip

Good at all ph levels. Good for yeast, fungi, and bacteria. Deactivated by some PEG compounds. Water should be heated to

140 - 158 degrees F to properly dissolve the preservative. Phenonip can be used at higher heat levels without losing effectiveness and with higher oil concentrations than either germaben and germal plus can.

INCI: Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben.

Recommended Use Level - .5-1.0%

Even simpler:

If your formula contains water, you can use:

Germaben II - less than 25% oil

Germaben II-E - more than 25% oil

Germall Plus

Liquid Germall Plus

Phenonip

Liquapar PE

Liquapar Optima - ph restrictions

Optiphen

Optiphen Plus - ph restrictions

If your formula contains only oils, butters and waxes and does not contain water, you do not need a preservative unless there is a chance water will be introduced by the end user.

If your formula contains only oils, butters and waxes and does not contain water but there is a possibility that the consumer could introduce water into the product, you can use:

Phenonip

Liquapar PE

Liquapar Optima - ph restrictions

Liquapar Oil

Optiphen

Optiphen Plus - ph restrictions

The end.. For now..

Thanks so much Bunny, that is exactly the condensed info I was looking for. All these preservatives are so confusing. I will be printing this off and keeping handy for future reference. :D

Just one question about the Phenonip, it says that properly desolve it, to add it to the water between 140-158 degrees. So that being said, should you put this preservative in after your oils are melted to properly desolve it? Most recipes recommend adding preservative when all the mixing is finished. By that time, it would be too cool to add wouldn't it, or does it matter that much?

Yes, add it in with your oils. For the best preserving, add 1/2 to your water and 1/2 to your oil! WSP has totally incorrect info according to the manufacturer directions. Here's the brochure for it.. http://lotioncrafter.com/reference/tech_data_phenonip.pdf

It says it keep it's stability even after autoclave use.. And I imagine that's pretty hot. But here's what I do.

Because I don't want to re-measure water to account for evaporation, and I don't want to watch my temps to be sure my water stays over 170 for sterlization, I boil a huge pot of water for 20 minutes. Then, I measure my water out of there. When it's cooled to 170, I add my 1/2 of my preservative. Toss the other half in the oils/emulisifier portion. Stickblend as usual.

Guest EMercier

WOW! OK, well I have to go back and check to see where I googled it. That's a lot of info Bunny! I can't see now! I guess I should print that out. My thing is, where do I get this stuff? I think I saw one on MMS and I know WSP had it as well. I recently purchased some of that soy butter from Kangaroo blue and wanted to use it in there as well as a scrub (yet to be determined with the recipe). I don't think I want to do lotions anymore. They don't really sell for me. Maybe if I get a smaller bottle, I had 8 oz.

WOW! OK, well I have to go back and check to see where I googled it. That's a lot of info Bunny! I can't see now! I guess I should print that out. My thing is, where do I get this stuff? I think I saw one on MMS and I know WSP had it as well. I recently purchased some of that soy butter from Kangaroo blue and wanted to use it in there as well as a scrub (yet to be determined with the recipe). I don't think I want to do lotions anymore. They don't really sell for me. Maybe if I get a smaller bottle, I had 8 oz.

www.lotioncrafter.com has most all of the above mentioned preservatives, plus a whole lot of other supplies that I want!! :D

HTH