ISO Tub Tints recipe...

guppygirl

I just spent $4 on a little sesame street container of tub tints for my little ones... these things are so cool, but after reading the ingredients, they just look like a modified bath bomb. Anyone have a good recipe for these or know where I might find one? Been doing a little searching & so far haven't come up with anything.

TIA!

Hey baby.. I moved your post since you're ISO a recipe and not posting one.

But in answer to your question - try the FD&C's from MMS, they tint the water without staining the tub. Just a tee tiny dab will do ya!

I think since they're dry...you'd spritz with witch hazel like you do bath bombs...mold & let harden.

Tub Tints

Tub Tints are a really fun way to add some pizzazz to your bath!

3 cups baking soda

1 1/2 cups citric acid

2 cups cornstarch

3 cc fragrance oil

.15cc powdered water-soluble dye (pigments or micas will NOT work. FD&C Blue and FD&C Yellow from Bramble Berry WILL work. If you use a pigment or mica, it may not disperse evenly in the water, and may stain your tub!)

Mix all ingredients completely. The mixture will appear white.

Package into decorative bags and tie closed.

To use, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup per full tub of water. Mix crystals in completely before getting into the water. Taa-daaaa! Colored bath water!

If you don't figure it out I get mine from http://www.wholesalebathconfetti.com./bath_tints_1.html Alanna is awesome.... I've had nothing BUT great service.... Crafty1 turned me onto this supplier right about this time last year!

Their ingredients are: Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Pentasodium Triphosphate, Sodium Sulfate, Cellulose Gum, Talc, Isopropyl Palmitate, Fragrance, {color}

HTH :)

So Maryann, you buy yours already made up from the bath confetti place?

I have had that site bookmarked for over a year just in case I want to buy some confetti, but didn't even realize that they sold the bath tint fizzies, my son LOVES those things, and I refuse to pay $4 for a little tub of them that he will inevitably (sp?) use up in one bathtime unless I watch him and then take them away from him. LOL

I've always thought that they were basically a bath bomb without the oils. ;)

Hard little compact tablets with LOTS of color added. :)

I'm really wondering about this one, and am thinking they might be do-able with a pill maker to do them in water soluble gel caps, like what a tylenol comes in. Would cut down on filler ingredients, and they are easy to stuff! What cha'll think?

LOL Carrie, I believe she's talking about a "thing" that makes those capsules. I've never seen those, of course never was looking for something like that either. ;)

I think besides changing the color of the water, my son likes the "fizzing" that goes along with the tablets. He's forever trying to steal my bombs I got from IN Kristine's Shower.

Actually, a year ago someone did some very neat bath oils in a capsule. I've seen it since on mabel white's site, so watch out, she'll come after you lol. But I've never seen it powdered like you said, interesting. The gel cap would melt in the hot water...

Sorry, not enough coffee. When you say pillmaker, are you referring to someone or something?

Ya, something that would make the pills, like a mold. Might be a total PITA to devise something small enough to make a solid pill, and would probably be easier to make too.

Next time I put in an order for herbs, I'll order some gel caps and play!

Bunny that sounds like a COOL idea, is there a site we can check these gel caps out at?

I wonder which is cheaper :confused:, making or buying??

Michelle I use their confetti, bath tints (I don't think they fizz though, my son has used them, but I don't remember I'll have to check it out), and some of their packaging. If you sign up for their newsletter they have sales periodically which saves you $$ (always a plus).

I wouldn't mind buying them and who ever wanted some could buy them off me as I've always wanted to get some of their vanilla powder. I wouldn't have to do a co-op would I ? That seems so intimidating.

Bunny, I don't see the "pill maker" though, do you know the exact terminology for it as I did a search calling it pill maker :tiptoe: !!

OMGosh, look what I've started LOL!! :whistle:

Here are the ingredients from the sesame street tablets:

sodium bicarbonate (got that), citric acid (got that), pentasodium triphosphate (huh? what's that?), fragrance (got way too much of that!), denatonium benzoate (another huh?) May contain fd&c red 33, yellow 5, blue 1 (don't have that but can get it!)

I'm loving the gel caps idea... just wondering how in the heck you'd go about filling these effectively. Ideas anyone?

Maryann.. The pill fillers are items numner 510 and 505 that each work on the 0 and 00 respectively. I'd just use a paper funnel or with gloves hands cram the two ends together though..lol

And running a co-op just on those shouldn't be too bad... lol But wonder if there's enough interested to make it a true co-op?

The chemistry store carries the pentasodium triphosphate, but from looking at quite a few other sites, I just can't tell what it is or what it could be subbed for it. And I sure don't want 6 lbs of it... lmao!

http://www.fortune3.com/chemstore/cart.cgi?group=49941&child=49962

The denatonium benzoate is a bittering agent used in poisonous chemicals and other things that should not be eaten to make it taste like crap in hopes the person (or child) eating it will spit it out.

Here's the specs for this one:

http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Denatonium_benzoate

Will keep researching the first one to find more info...