Can't get lotion to thicken--Bunny, I love you!

I don't know what I am doing wrong....I have tried like 7 recipes, and followed all the directions, my lotion emulsifies, but it won't get thicker than a milky consistency....

I wanted to make my own lotion, because bases can cost so much, and I thought that if I can come up with a good recipe of my own then it would be better anyways.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I wonder if I am stirring too much/not enough? Can someone who makes lotion possibly give me some tips? Any help at all would be so much appreciated!

TIA

Katie

Okay, I have tried other recipes in the past, but I tried again tonight too, lol...One recipe I tried a while ago was one I think that was on that to die for site, and that didn't work for me either. I am measuring everything very carefully, but I think something in my process is wrong.

Okay, here are the two recipes I tried tonight, both are from MMS:

Recipe#1-(I cut in half to make a small batch)

2.5 grams Citric Acid

30 grams Liquid Glycerin

40 grams Stearic Acid

50 grams Emulsifying Wax

200 grams Sweet Almond Oil

660 grams water

10 grams Germaben II

7.5 grams Ginger Milk Fragrance Oil (or any other scent of your choice)

Recipe #2

.1 oz wt. Citric Acid

.3 oz wt. Emulsifying Wax

.5 oz wt. Liquid Glycerin

.4 oz wt. Stearic Acid

2 oz wt. Coconut Oil

6.9 oz wt. Water

well, these ones I only made about 4 hours ago...they are all cool now.

But before, I kept the lotions for 2-3 days, but they never thickened.

Could I be doing temperatures wrong or something wrong with stirring? Most of the recipes I found only give general instructions...so I am not so sure about if it needs constant stirring, or only stir every little while, etc. I am not sure if it even matters, but that is all I can think of.

well, these ones I only made about 4 hours ago...they are all cool now.

But before, I kept the lotions for 2-3 days, but they never thickened.

Could I be doing temperatures wrong or something wrong with stirring? Most of the recipes I found only give general instructions...so I am not so sure about if it needs constant stirring, or only stir every little while, etc. I am not sure if it even matters, but that is all I can think of.

did you usea hand held mixer or did you just stir them together?...

I'm new at making lotions, but a few things I had to learn from trial and error was that when using my SB not to move it all over or I will incorporate to much air in the lotion and it becomes fluffy instead of creamy. Another thing I learned was to stir, let cool for 10 minutes or so and stir, and repeat that till it's cool enough to add the FO and preservative and stir one last time. I'm running at the mouth here on something I know very little about, but those 2 things helped me get a nice creamy lotion.

OK, i just did the calculations and it seems fine...

but my guess is that they are not being complety emulsified with just using a whisk... when I first started, I used a fork on my 1st batch and the oils just sat on the top and wasnt quite right....

That may be it right there, WSP ewax sucks. It's doesn't compare to other e wax, but it still workable. We just have to up it.

.25 % Citric

3% Glycerin

4% Stearic

5% E Wax

20% Sweet Almond

66% Water

1% Preservative

.75 Fo

Try this:

1 % Citric

3% Glycerin

5% Stearic

9% Ewax

15% Sweet Almond

4% Butter (any one you have – cocoa, kokum, mango etc)

61% Water

1% Preservative

1% Fragrance

I just used a whisk. Should I be using a mixer? And if so, is it too late to use it, or do I have to start another batch?

And yes, you must use a stickblender or other type of blender to get a stable and complete emulsion.

If you need help getting the batch back to measurements, just holler.

I use a whisk, but I stir it pretty vigorously until it's thouroughly mixed. At least for a few minutes, then let it sit and stir every 5 minutes or so until it cools.

If you haven't stirred enough, you should be able to tell. You'll have the seperated oil/water look going on.

I have to edit every single post I make. Ugh... *lol*

Yeah, I stirred pretty good with my whisk....it emulsified fine....I just can't understand why it wouldn't get thick, lol

I will try it with the blender, and see if that helps. Can I do these batches with the blender (just to see if it helps) or should I just pitch this batch and start with Bunny's new recipe?

Oh, we must have posted at almost the same time, lol....

Okay, I will throw those away and try the new ones, and update this as soon as I do.

As for my scale, it measures in grams and ounces....it gets as small as 5 grams, and as small as .2 ounces.

I'd start it over.. The main emulsification is already done, and it'll come out wonky. Your preservative may be compromised, and you won't know how much if it will come though.

Are you bringing your water and oils to 170 also? Water must be at 170 for 20 minutes to get rid of any possible contaminates. (I just boil a huge pot and measure out of it..lol)