What Printer for labels?

trisha

Hi everyone. My business has just taken off and I need to make labels. I have already found great advice on what program to use.

My question is what printer do I need to print my own labels.

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 820.

Anyone know if this will work? Any suggestions welcome!

TIA

Well I have a couple of questions,

is it laser or inkjet? This will determine the type of labels you buy, laser printers don't seem to like inkjet paper and vice versa.

Since it's a photo printer I assume you've printed color photos or documents on it already? How did they turn out? Nice uniform ink distribution? No white spots where there should be ink?

Will you're labels have color on them?

If it's inkjet, prints good looking color documents(color on regular paper), and your labels will have color, then I'd say go for it you should be good.

I've never used an Epson but from what I've heard the "photo" printers will usually be much better than a printer that is not designed to print graphics.

Hope that helps,

Sami

Thanks Sami,

To tell you the truth I have noidea if it is laser or inkjet. I don't even know the difference. I have printed photos on it and they turned out ok. Not the best color.

For my labels I do want color and graphics. I guess it's just a matter of choosing the right paper to print on if I understand you correctly.

Thank you for the help:grin2:

The paper does play a big role, I just did a search and your's is an inkjet. I don't get the whole 6 color photo ink thing since there are only 3 colors in a kodak machine at the one hour photo. But I'd have to say if you don't think the color is great and can afford a new printer go for it. I don't have any recommendations because my printer has been discontinued but I have heard great things about the HP printers.

Sami

When I got started I had a HP deskjet and printing so many labels it died a horrific death from overuse. :wink2:

I went to CompUSA and a salesman showed me an Epson deskjet that uses Durabrite ink. 3 printers later it's still an Epson with Durabrite ink. This ink will NOT come off in water, not a bit. :) I clean my tester jars in hot soapy water and have to scrub the labels off with a brillo pad and the ink is the same as the day I printed it.

Now the Epson photo printers do not use the Durabrite ink, I had to buy a printer in Dec. and the salesman there was pushing the photo printers. So, I dipped the print page from a photo printer in the water jug they had on the floor showing how Durabrite ink will not run. It was a mess. I bought the CX4200 that is a copier, printer and scanner for $89. Just look for the Durabrite label on the printer, it is worth it!

I am guessing that it is an inkjet...I highly recommend getting a laser printer. The print quality is much better and the toner is going to save you in the long run...I mean the long run because it is costly in the beginning ( I have an HP 4550 and it runs about $250-300 for all 4 toners- black, cyan, magenta, and yellow) bt I haven't had to change it in a year and a half and they do not all run out at the same time....when I was using an inkjet I was dropping $50 a pop to replace the cartridges all the time! The print quality is not even comparable...I print my own brochures and they look professionally printed.