Need some help with how to remove dye from carpet!!

This is not a general question about candlemaking but about how to get a liquid dye out of carpet! My bottle of dark blue leaked and I got some on the floor in the kitchen, then apparently stepped in it but only realized it had leaked on the floor AFTER I noticed the dark blue spot on my carpet! Any ideas on how to get this out of my carpet?? We just put this NEW carpet in a couple of weeks ago and I am so upset with myself over this!

A can of Goof Off from the hardware store is probably what you need. Very effective and deadly stuff. Use with serious ventilation.

tlc26 is our resident expert in removing carpet stains and you might want to PM her if she doesn't come around soon.

Well I just saw your follow-up post. Interesting to know that works. I use Crisco on dye all the time but didn't think it would work well enough for carpet. Don't you have to get the oil out now?

The oxy clean works good. But get some stuff called "Floor Tech" it is in a big spray bottle with purple lettering I believe. THIS STUFF IS AMAZING!!! I have an apartment, so every few months when I can no longer see the true color of the carpet, I get down and clean it. Looks brand new!!

I have never persinally tried Crisco. Wouldn't it leave a greasy residue or "grease spot" on the carpet? I may have to give that a go. I spilled quite a bit of Alabasters crappy dyes with no droppers, so I have to get to cleaning soon.

First! don't ever use oil based anything to 'clean' your carpet. I wasn't there and I didn't see how you did it but I can say that it is likely that stain will come back. Please go get a carpet cleaning agent that is specifically a degreaser. Then clean the crap out of the area that you put the crisco on. Even though you think you got all the oil out, it is very likely that you did not, any further dirt, dust, etc. will stick to that area and infact look like the stain has reappeared.

I am glad you got the blue out though.

I use xylol xylene(sp?). It is a strong chemical and you should wear a mask. It is similar to turpintine and can be found at any hardware store, near the turpintine. This is also what I use to get black fireplace paint out of white beber carpet (when contractors don't know what they are doing). If you chose to use this, it is not a cleaning agent on its own. Apply it first and do not walk on the area it was applied to with rubber soled shoes..it will melt the rubber and transfer it on to the carpet. Then make sure that you are using suction to remove it, don't scrub. When you scrub you will actually push it and whatever you are trying to get out deeper into the carpet. Then clean as normal with a carpet cleaning agent. I am not sure what to tell you to buy from the store. I use my own mix of chems.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11090&page=2&highlight=black+fireplace+paint

Here is a link to another thread that I posted this on.

Hey TLC that turpentine stuff probably is not safe if you have children correct? I told DH about that and he said it did not sound safe to use around our little one. He spends a lot if time on the floor and snacks on the carpet when watching movies.

That Floor Tech I mentioned, is okay to use around children/pets. Ill go get some tonight and post a pic.

A can of Goof Off from the hardware store is probably what you need. Very effective and deadly stuff. Use with serious ventilation.

tlc26 is our resident expert in removing carpet stains and you might want to PM her if she doesn't come around soon.

Well I just saw your follow-up post. Interesting to know that works. I use Crisco on dye all the time but didn't think it would work well enough for carpet. Don't you have to get the oil out now?

Hey Top- What a compliment coming from the resident scientist and wax guru! :wink2:

Hey TLC that turpentine stuff probably is not safe if you have children correct? I told DH about that and he said it did not sound safe to use around our little one. He spends a lot if time on the floor and snacks on the carpet when watching movies.

That Floor Tech I mentioned, is okay to use around children/pets. Ill go get some tonight and post a pic.

Xylene is the main ingredient in that Goof Off stuff. There's no problem with kids and pets after you use it because it completely evaporates into the air and dissipates. The problem is the fumes while you're using it so you need plenty of ventilation. Maybe best to use when the kids and animals aren't around.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to get dye stains out of linoleium? I dripped some red dyed wax onto the kitchen floor (which is a very light beige) and now the floor has red polka dots!!!!!!! :(

Any suggestions (other than replacing the flooring :o ) are greatly appreciated!

Pam in Upper Michigan