wicking questions

I really enjoy the advice and pictures from all you talented candlemakers. I just make candles as a hobby; sell a few once in a while. My question is, when making pillars, do you want it to burn completely across or leave a small amount on the sides so the wax doesn't spill out? My other question is when making candles in cupcake papers with "icing" on top, what size wick do you use and once again is it suppose to burn completely across? Is it safe to burn in the paper? I have been "playing" with candlemaking for many years but I just don't feel as talented as many of you. Pity party! Any advice will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Leaving a shell is a matter of design preference but not necessarily a matter of avoiding spilling wax. If the pillar blows out, it's generally because the burn isn't balanced or the wax properties aren't ideal. You might need a higher MP wax or a hardening additive, or a bigger wick (especially with narrower pillars).

One way of designing a pillar is to make it self consuming. This type has a big enough wick that it could melt all the way across eventually, but before that happens it reaches a balance where it's consuming wax as fast as it's melting, so the candle burns downwards as the rim curls in and melts. That's the way I make them, as do many people, but there are other possibilities.

I really enjoy the advice and pictures from all you talented candlemakers. I just make candles as a hobby; sell a few once in a while. My question is, when making pillars, do you want it to burn completely across or leave a small amount on the sides so the wax doesn't spill out? My other question is when making candles in cupcake papers with "icing" on top, what size wick do you use and once again is it suppose to burn completely across? Is it safe to burn in the paper? I have been "playing" with candlemaking for many years but I just don't feel as talented as many of you. Pity party! Any advice will be greatly appreciated. TIA

The burn is a matter of preference. Some do the shell some don't. Mine are totally self consuming and leave just a "cookie" when completely burned.

Same with the cupcakes, I like mine to burn completely.

The wick depends on your individual formulation. DO NOT BURN in the paper, unless you WANT to start a fire lol!!