Room Temp for pouring

izzy2

My husband emptied out a room in our basement that is now "my candle room". :D The only problem is it's too cool in there. I would like to get a portable heater. I poured some containers yesterday and they have what kind of looks like frost on the sides of them. I'm assuming this is because of the temp of the room. I don't have an oven downstairs to warm my jars in so what should I do? :undecided I don't really want to run upstairs to warm the jars but if I have to I will. Would a heat gun work for this or would I be better off using the oven? Would the containers cool down too much by the time I got downstairs to pour them? Should I get everything ready down here and then pour upstairs? Anyone have any opinions or suggestions?

TIA

I have the same problem. I pour candles out in my husbands shop. I blocked off an area and put up plastic "walls". I use a heater in the winter and a small ac in the summer. The fumes from the heater are a little much sometimes. My stove I use has no oven so I make quick trips in the house to heat up the jars. It's a real pain and sometimes I bring my melted wax in with me and just pour in the kitchen. I hope to come up with another idea but until then I'll just run back and forth.

You can use a heat gun to pre-heat the jars and then wrap a kitchen towel around them to let them cool slower. I pour in my kitchen, but it's still too cool in there to let the candles cool on the counter. I either have to put them in the oven or wrap them with a towel. A cardboard box will work too. Basically anything that will insulate them well will do the trick. HTH :)

You can use a heat gun to pre-heat the jars and then wrap a kitchen towel around them to let them cool slower. I pour in my kitchen, but it's still too cool in there to let the candles cool on the counter. I either have to put them in the oven or wrap them with a towel. A cardboard box will work too. Basically anything that will insulate them well will do the trick. HTH :)

Do you mean I wouldn't necessarily have to heat the jars before pouring, just insulate well after pouring? Can you wick your jars and then heat with the heat gun? Sorry for all the stupid questions but I want to make sure I get it right. :embarasse

Sometime in the future (depends on how my candles sell when I do start selling) I am going to get a stove for my room. I just bought a hotplate for $30 and then seen in a classified ad a stove for $30. Kicking my a$$ since I already used the hotplate and can't take it back.

I poured some testers last night. I didn't heat my jars but I insulated them with two thick kitchen towels wrapped around them and laid overtop. They came out perfect. I usually heat my jars a little, especially in the winter when my house is colder, but it's really a personal preference. If they turn out all right without pre-heating, then skip that step. However, you do want to cool them very slowly and so that's why insulating them with a box or towel works great. Some people also use an electric heating pad to heat the jars. Put the pad on the counter and then lay the jars on top. I've never done this, but heard about from some other members.