Testing Jars half filled

Cissy

I have been filling my test jars, but am wondering if I can just measure enough wax & FO to test 1/2 to 3/4 filled jars. Is that not the most important testing that needs to be done anyway...all the way to 1/2" from the bottom? This will save money by doing it this way. Is there a reason I should not do this? I don't remember seeing this discussed on the board. I am using the 9 oz Hex jars only for testing at present. Might be a silly question, just want to make sure I'm not missing something important if I do this.

You need to fill the jar, period.

If your cutting corners to save money on testing~ honestly candlemaking might not be for you. Testing is important, and you cannot scrimp on any aspect of it. Your finished product will suffer greatly and you will never have a true test of your work. Candles have memory, and to start burning partially filled jar is not true testing. There is too much air circulating in the jar to gauge how the wick truly burns.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but its the truth. :wink2:

Thanks, Mizbizzyb, for your diplomacy. I searched, but somehow missed that important thread. I am definitely interested in saving money, but not to the extent of leaving out necessary testing steps for a quality candle, or I would have just went ahead & tried it and not asked any questions. Thanks again for directing me to detailed explanations for not doing this.

Thanks for the advice. I want to do this the correct way and not take any chances. I have no problem with doing anything the proper way, when it has been explained to me exactly why I should do it. I was just thinking that most of the testing problems would probably show up a 3rd of the way down or further down in the Hex jars I'm using. The wick does seem to burn better in the top 3rd on the full jars I've done (doesn't dance around as much). My idea was that if it burned good, good melt pool & MP depth, then the top 3rd should be even better. I'm sure you all have seen a whole lot more problems in the top of the jar than I have, since you've tested & burned so many more.

I test partially filled jars (at least half filled), but I have also used the same formulas for a long time. So everytime I make a batch of something, I always do a little extra for my batch testers. When using formulas that are new to you, It is very important to test the entire burn because you want to be sure you have consistency. When you have been pouring long enough for consistency, well then you can get away with doing partial pours. :wink2: