4794 Rippling?

Hi all!

I've been making tarts with 4794. It doesn't matter how low the temp is when I pour...the tops on ALL my tarts are rippled. I've poured at 150, 140, 160...no luck. I did notice that the slab of 4794 itself was rippled. Do you think I just got a bad batch of wax, or am I doing something wrong? I know that there are others who use the same wax for tarts and don't have problems with rippling. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

D

Hi all!

I've been making tarts with 4794. It doesn't matter how low the temp is when I pour...the tops on ALL my tarts are rippled. I've poured at 150, 140, 160...no luck. I did notice that the slab of 4794 itself was rippled. Do you think I just got a bad batch of wax, or am I doing something wrong? I know that there are others who use the same wax for tarts and don't have problems with rippling. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

D

Completely normal. I can get nice tops on this if I do the over pour at 145. There is no way around it by doing a one pour. I used to fill my tarts not quite to the edge, and then repour when it is cooled. Use a small measuring cup with a spout to prevent over flows

Crummy. I refuse to do a re-pour for tarts...to much work. Hmmm...maybe I'll try blasting them with the heat gun (which I've yet to use). Is there anything you can add to the wax to help smooth the tops without affecting scent throw or quality of the tart?

Thanks for your response.

D

YW. The heat gun will make it messy. and the wax will splurt everywhere, just a heads up lol. You know try this, it is worth a shot. Pour them as cool as you can, on a cookie tray and transfer the tray to an oven for slow cooling. (I usually pre-heat my oven to 125 )and then turn it off once the tarts go in.

Oh thanks for the idea, Tess :) I'll definitely give that a shot. I figured the heat gun would be a pain (hence the reason it's still in it's box :) ). I don't sell the tarts, they're just for me, but dang if the ripply tarts don't bug the crud out of me :D I'll probably make a few more tarts tomorrow and will try the oven idea. Thanks!!

D

Completely normal. I can get nice tops on this if I do the over pour at 145. There is no way around it by doing a one pour. I used to fill my tarts not quite to the edge, and then repour when it is cooled. Use a small measuring cup with a spout to prevent over flows

I do what Tess does. It's really not a pain once you get the hang of doing the repour. If they are just for me then I don't do a repour

Phooey. Doing a re-pour sounds like such a pain in the patootie. How full do you fill the tart originally and how long do you wait until you do the repour?

Well, since the tarts are just for me right now, I think I'll just "embrace the ripples" :) I'll have to make them a bit nicer when I give them to my friends...but until then...I'll endure the ripples. Crummy. Can someone please invent a wax JUST LIKE 4794 that is a one pour no ripple wax? I'll send you some really nice tarts for your trouble :) No big deal, right? :laugh2: