Newbie here!

Hi all! I've been reading alot on this forum, so I decided to join! I've been trying to dabble a little in the candles, and I'm using Joywax. I'm having a real difficult time with wicking. But of course aren't we all! I'm trying to do the square mason jars and the pint mason jars. NG says the best wick to use for with this wax is the zinc. So instead of buying the zinc from NG, I bought the low-smoke zincs from WSP. But I'm STILL having a hard time with the wicks. The flame is either puny and a poor meltpool, or a bigger wick gives me smoke and black jars. I do color, although I try to keep it kinda light so I won't have clogging problems. And I use 1 1/2 oz. per lb. of the Joywax. Any tips or suggestions?

Hi there & welcome! Glad you joined (even if you do taste like chicken :D)

You mentioned that you were using 1 1/2oz per pound - I'm assuming you meant FO? If so, back off to 1oz - since joy wax is a para/soy blend you shouldn't need to use that much FO - that's likely what's causing a smaller wick to drown & causing the smoking & black jars with the larger wick. Good luck & keep us posted!

A lot of jars 3" and up, especially square ones do well with double wicking. You could get by with a single wick on those jars I think, but it would have to be a large wick. Those square masons were boogers to wick, for me. I didn't like them, so I switched to widemouth pint and half pint mason jars.

With the square mason jars, I was having a heck of a time wicking them, the wicks I tested either mushroomed big time or drowned out.

I was also having a major wax hang up problem. So that is when I decided to call the supplier of my wax and wicks. And since I have been double wicking, it solved both of my problems, not saying it will help yours but you could always try.

But I do have to say it looks odd to me to have 2 wicks in such a small jar, but all my family and friends seem to like it, and that's who I'm trying to impress.

Mindy :D

Okay, well here's what's happening.....I decided I didn't like the zinc wicks after all. Soooo, I stuck in a CD 12 (this is with the sq. mason jar) and it seems to be doing well. I'm not sure this is "THE" wick I'm looking for, but I think it does burn hotter and steadier than the zinc. I don't know though, I may be way off here. Does anybody ever burned an entire tester candle and still be back to square one? :undecided

Your going to get this from everyone, yes, I'm sure we have all done that.

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my candles, I'm never satisfied.

And testing wicks is a pain in the butt, what I have done lately is buy sample packs of the wicks, that I wanted to try in my candles. And have been testing them like crazy, everywhere I go so does my candle and my notebook.

You'll find the right wick eventually.

Good Luck,

Mindy

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I have been trying to wick the 8oz sq. mason and it is giving me a fit! I was at Candle Science today and they told me to doublewick it diagonally corner to corner. We will see what happens. When I was trying to single wick it would either smoke, large flame, huge mushrooms or the flame would dance around like crazy! This one is a booger! BTW I use ecosoya CB135.:D