My results from a MC soy wax test

I know there are a few of us on here that use MC soy. I have been having problems with jump lines, cracking, and ugly tops. so... it was time to do another test. This REALLY surprised me. (this was with tarts... so no wick)

batch #1- 2 oz. bw to 1 lb. soy

batch #2- 1 oz. bw to 1 lb. soy

batch #3- 1/2 oz. bw to 1 lb. soy

each had equal amounts of coloring and FO (Iused pink sugar becuase I had some extra around) I poured each batch hot (161 F) then cold (right when it got slushy around 115-110 F)

Batch 1- hot= perfect! No cracking, no wet spots, no sinking,very smooth top. Dull top, no shine.

Batch 1- cold= no cracking, small but noticable spots. no sinking, still no shine.

Batch 2-hot= terrible sink holes with cracking. No wet spots. Tops had a nice shine to them.

Batch 2- cold= exactly the same as when poured hot.

Batch 3-hot = sinking with a little bit of craking. No wet spots. VERY nice shinny top.

Batch 3-cold = looks the same as when poured hot.

i will have to do another test using a different oil. But- so far it looks like batch 1 hot worked the best for me. I would like to have that shine on top... but, I would rather NOT have cracking and sink holes LOL

I am also going to lets these cure and then do a scent throw test. I post once I get the results from that. If I can get our camera working, I will try to post a pic.

Anyone else want to share what they pour MC at?

Granted I pour candles, but for a long time I poured cloudy to slushy in room temp jars, not paying attention to the temp. Always had smooth tops with dull finish. Used 1/2 oz BW per lb, for a 3% load. FO load always at 7%. No sinkhole problems or cracking. Jar adhesion was poor but no wet spots!

If you are getting good results with 2 oz BW per lb that is a 12% BW load, which I assume you are pouring into tart molds. That probably is too much for jars but if it works for tarts then cool!

What kind of FO load do you use in tarts?

geek

The highest I ever go with FO is 1.5 oz per 1 lb. soy and then the additional BW. with my stornger oils, I can get away with .75 - 1.0.

I used to have the percentages all written down- but now I just go by weight. I can never remember that formula to figure out the %.

(yep- they are tart molds I tested this on)

Interesting.... I use 2oz bw and have found over time that they've cracked (but its a few I've had for over a year).

With this % I've also had cauliflower tops w/ a few FO's, I think the FO's play a fairly big part here :undecided.

The REAL fun begins when wicking LOL (not sure whether to show a laughing or crying smiley guy??)

Thanks for the results :)

Interesting.... I use 2oz bw and have found over time that they've cracked (but its a few I've had for over a year).

With this % I've also had cauliflower tops w/ a few FO's, I think the FO's play a fairly big part here :undecided.

The REAL fun begins when wicking LOL (not sure whether to show a laughing or crying smiley guy??)

Thanks for the results :)

I KNOW! I just posted about "joinging the big guys".... I am really scared to wick something! LOL