Pay Pal charges?

Guest EMercier

Guest EMercier

Can someone help me with this one? I just closed the jar co-op and send invoices and such. Why am I paying all these fees? I may misunderstand this process. It's a few dollars and I'm not going to worry about it, but I would like to know for future transactions. Thanks!

Yup, if you have a premier or business account, it charges fees for all payments made to you. Some people set up a personal account because of this, for hosting co-ops & such, but it will not allow you to accept debit or credit card payments - only direct transfers from their bank account. With a personal account though, you can only receive & withdraw up to $500 a month before they will require you to upgrade to one of the other types of accounts.

Guest EMercier

This is a personal account. That's what I'm not understanding. I'm wondering if people are paying via CC. Maybe that's what it is. I thought that when you used a personal account it didnt' charge you. OK, I'm not going crazy! These co-ops are WHEW! But, thankfully I'm a bit organized :D

If you've got a personal account and someone sends you a credit card payment, the email will usually tell you that you can't accept the payment unless you upgrade, "click here". Have you gotten one of those? You also have the ability to deny the payment, and you can give the person another way to pay.

If you're really a business, it's actually against Paypal policy to have 2 accounts, one for credit card, one for personal that gets around the fees. So be aware of that - if Paypal catches you and figures it out...

Personal accounts cannot accept credit/debit card payments. When the first one came in, you were given a message from Paypal stating that you must upgrade to a premier account to accept the payment (they don't mention the fees, naturally). Once you did that, you locked yourself in to fees for every transaction, CC or not. Contact paypal and request to downgrade to a personal account if you don't want the fees. They should accomodate you.

Guest EMercier

OK, here's what the problem was. I called paypal and was told I had a business account. I had no idea I signed up for one. I never noticed on the summary page it said "Busienss Account Summary". DUH! They downgraded me. I'll just eat the $11.65 in fees. My hostess fees covers that. I'm glad I asked because I would've just sat there and said, ho hum maybe they do that. Thanks for the help!

Paypal charges 2.9% of the total charges PLUS a $.30 per transaction fee on a Premier or Business Acct.

And as Eugenia said, you can downgrade your acct ONCE, but you have to CALL Paypal for that.

Heres their Toll Free Number 1-866-221-1161

I know this number by heart as Im always on the phone with them LOL

The more you sell the cheaper your percentage is. You do have to go through hoops to get it lowered though.

I have a business, but my hubby has a personal. It is a pain to use. I still have a couple of old store items that are on it (ebay) it says no cc or debit in the auctions, but when people see paypal they just assume, plus most people think debit is not a cc. :(

The real pain is when I need to get his money out of his acocunt. I can't transfer money without paying a fee. I would not be surprised to learn one day soon that they were sued for collecting all the fees on cash transfers. I think they should not be allowed to do that. I understand the cc's, but cash transfer from one of their accounts to another is a real rip off. They stopped charging a "fee" for making labels a while back, I look for this one to stop also. If you notice though, in truth they just rearranged the fee, not you pay 14 cents for dc and it was free, but you had to pay paypal 20 cents to make a label. sneaky sneaky, you just know somebody got a spanking and they had to change it around. I bet they will soon have to drop the cash transfer fees also.

The credit card company that I use does not charge for debit cards, and that is pretty resent, so i bet it is the way they will all go eventually. They are just to many people using debit cards now.

OK, here's what the problem was. I called paypal and was told I had a business account. I had no idea I signed up for one. I never noticed on the summary page it said "Busienss Account Summary". DUH! They downgraded me. I'll just eat the $11.65 in fees. My hostess fees covers that. I'm glad I asked because I would've just sat there and said, ho hum maybe they do that. Thanks for the help!

That is the exactly what happened to me. When I was accepting transactions, I was being charged 2.9% for every transaction regardless if it was a direct transfer from a chequing acct. or a Visa/MC. I called them on this and stated that I can understand if its a credit card, but why are they still charging the 2.9% fee when it's coming directly from a bank acct? That is just their policy and like you, I downgraded also.