M&P Questions

WYJen

UPS just dropped off my M&P bases. I'm a newbie to this part of B&B...been fighing it for a long time but couldn't do it anymore! LOL I just have a few questions...how much FO do I add per pound? Is it by volume or weight? I've seen some places say ounces, some in teaspoons/tablespoons etc so I figured it be best to ask what works for everyone. How long should I wait to unmold and cut it, and then package it? I've seen conflicting information on the packaging part, some sites have said to dry for 24 hours, other places have said to package immediately. Just curious what's worked for everyone else...I can't wait to go play!

i use this base...

i cut it into chunks and melt on medium heat in the microwave in a glass pyrex measuring cup. remove when a few small chunks are left.

add .5 oz per pound. weight or measurement(1TBSP). either works fine for this application.

right after you pour into molds, spritz with rubbing alcohol to prevent surface bubbles.

as soon as it's completely set up and unmolded, wrap because the glycerin acts as a humectant and will draw moisture to it, causing sweat, which makes for a sticky bar. OR it can dry out...weird i know! but unlike cp, it will sshrink up a bit and not look so nice if left open to the elements.

Welcome to this side.. I just started on it too. Still have questions..

I use teaspoon for FO . I got the kit from NG and Dreamer who works there told me to do that. I was told that you can use MP as soon as its done..

What I do , weigh out by weight.. Put in pyrex, put in microwave.. Watch it though. Once its melted, take it out, add my dye, then my fo, stir, pour in mold, add a spritz of rubbing alochol to get rid of air bubbles ( now remember, all these wonderful people on here told me how to do this) .. :-) Wait 30 mins or until cool, put in refrig for about an hour, take out, pop out and USE!!!!

As for packaging.. Not sure yet.. I am sending samples to family and friends and I put them in cello bags like I do my tarts and votives.. Just easier for me right now and since they are family and arent paying, I'm not too much in a rush yet to work on packaing..

Hope this helps somewhat

You should add 3% Fo by weight. I've done it by liquid measurement when doing small batches for myself and it didn't seem to matter much, but I know typically, you want to measure everything in weight. And the way you package M&P is realy up to you. Depending on where you are and the specific base you use, it can vary. I find that my M&P doesn't really *sweat* that badly, so I can leave it out for a couple of days and then package it. Some other people need to do it right away, or freeze it so it doesn't sweat as badly. I just use the 4x6 shrink wrap bags and they work wonderfully. :) HTH!

Thanks for the tips! I feel a little bit better about attempting this now! I bought some cello to wrap them in. It's very dry where I live, but we have a whole house humidifier that's set extremley high so I'm guessing sweating may be a problem for me if I don't package them up right away. I got the goats milk, silk and shea, honey and then the oatmeal bases from WSP- I think I'm regretting only getting one mold though- I want to use all the bases NOW NOW NOW!! LOL

You should add 3% Fo by weight. I've done it by liquid measurement when doing small batches for myself and it didn't seem to matter much, but I know typically, you want to measure everything in weight. And the way you package M&P is realy up to you. Depending on where you are and the specific base you use, it can vary. I find that my M&P doesn't really *sweat* that badly, so I can leave it out for a couple of days and then package it. Some other people need to do it right away, or freeze it so it doesn't sweat as badly. I just use the 4x6 shrink wrap bags and they work wonderfully. :) HTH!

I agree 100% w/ Michelle measure by weight/oz. I'm one of those unfortunate people that no matter what I do mine sweat.... in the summer monthes I've found. The humidity does a number on my M&P, this winter has been good- no sweat. :tiptoe:

Have fun!! If you make a mistake you can always remelt what you've done ;)

Thanks for the tips! I feel a little bit better about attempting this now! I bought some cello to wrap them in. It's very dry where I live, but we have a whole house humidifier that's set extremley high so I'm guessing sweating may be a problem for me if I don't package them up right away. I got the goats milk, silk and shea, honey and then the oatmeal bases from WSP- I think I'm regretting only getting one mold though- I want to use all the bases NOW NOW NOW!! LOL

Pull out some loaf shaped rubbermaid containers and you have instant loaf molds, (you can buy actual loaf molds once you are done practicing, Brambleberry has awesome 2# molds) and slice them up for bars. IMO, and remember this in MO and based on my local clientele, most people are not into shaped soaps, they prefer the type sliced from a loaf. I sold primarily M&P for 3 years (I do only CP now) and sold it like hotcakes from the loaf, also, if you go to ebay and do a search on what is selling, most if it is not soap made in a decorative molds, it is either CP soap in bar form from a loaf or M&P cut from a loaf, or for that matter the whole loaf. I used to sell my M&P loafs on ebay and sold 100's of them but have a website now so don't do much ebay.

Have fun and remember to post pics of your artwork.

BTW, I used approx 1T of FO PP depending on the fragrance (never any more though) and less EO pp of soap

Elle

Thanks Elle- the mold I bought is actually a loaf one! I thought about some shapes but I personally don't care for the shaped soaps so I went with what I knew I would like in case none of these sell for me-lol! I bought a wavy cutter for them just because I love that look. I just made my first batch and am sitting here as impatient as I can waiting for it to get hard so I can unmold it. I'm not sure if I have any rubbermaid things that would work...but I'm off to scan my kitchen to see what I can use! LOL I feel a very bad addiction coming on!

Thanks Elle- the mold I bought is actually a loaf one! I thought about some shapes but I personally don't care for the shaped soaps so I went with what I knew I would like in case none of these sell for me-lol! I bought a wavy cutter for them just because I love that look. I just made my first batch and am sitting here as impatient as I can waiting for it to get hard so I can unmold it. I'm not sure if I have any rubbermaid things that would work...but I'm off to scan my kitchen to see what I can use! LOL I feel a very bad addiction coming on!

Oh yes, pretty soon, you'll be looking at EVERYTHING as a potential mold for your soap-ask me how I know!! LOL

I've used a tennis ball container, crystal light container, small tupperware containers, measuring cups, etc. etc. etc. LOL

I prefer the log molds myself also, just because I can get really creative with them, whether it be layers, chunks, embedded shapes etc. etc.

Have fun!! :D