Dye Chips for MP Soap Question

dcroome2005

Ok, in my order I received today from BCN, I had gotten some dye chips. I used them but what a pain in the butt. Is there an easier way then trying to melt it on a spoon with a heat gun that has only 1 setting with it?? Is it possible to put it in when melting the soap in the microwave? Wanted to ask that before I try it .. Don't want to start a fire with the microwave

Thanks

Christina

If you go to

http://www.candlesupply.com/

then to soap supplies under bath and body

You will find it here

Maybe I meant to use the words color chips when I said it, not dye chips LOL

SOAP COLOR CHIPS:

For use in glycerin soap only, not for use in candles! Each chip will color approx. 1 lb. of soap to a medium shade.Cart.gifItem#Product Description10 Chips/PacksdRedRed Soap Color Chips$ 1.50sdGreGreen Soap Color Chips$ 1.50sdBluBlue Soap Color Chips$ 1.50sdYelYellow Soap Color Chips$ 1.50These basic colors can be mixed to produce various other colors & shades.....

Click Here for a handy color mixing chart from The Candle Cauldron

Yup, I see them now, was looking in the wrong section. I am not sure if there would be an easier way to use those. They seem like they might be a pain to use, if you don't get the color you want the first time, to have to stop and melt another chip. I have been using liquid dyes and powders, so I can't help ya. Maybe someone who has used them will see this post and be able to help.

If you look at the rediglo dye chips that Peak sells, you will see that they say to use one chip pp of wax OR soap! (not on their site, but on the packaging) I called them to be certain this was the case, and was told that the chips are fine to use in soap, but to be careful because if too much is used they can cause your washcloth/poof/skin to color. I use them all the time, no problems.

I don't see why you couldn't just add the chips directly into the melted base? Or melt the chip FIRST in the same container you'll melt the base in and then add the base and melt that. Did that make sense? ;)

OF course you may want to start out with little pieces of a chip until you get the color you desire.

I'd much rather use the liquid since you can just add a drop at a time.

Oh I hear ya girl, I hate to throw anything away.

I once had to throw a whole batch of soap away and it just about killed me. It was 3lbs. of it!! :undecided

Just recently I threw away a whole batch (36 little cups) of "bunnys bath melts" cuz I added the cocoa powder and they look like little turds in the tub and plus they were just too dang greasy.

It just about killed me.

try what I suggested though, that should work much better than blowing it in a spoon with the heat gun-I can only imagine trying to keep that stuff in a spoon if your heat gun is anything like mine-a blow torch. :eek: