Oily Soap - Fixed - Thanks Julia for the idea!

Kaybee23

I did a 4 lb batch today and so far it has not gelled, and it has oil sitting on top of it. If I leave this alone, do you think it will eventually gel and the oil will absorb, or should I just dump it in the crockpot and try to cook it? Help, and thanks!:D

It doesn't totally cover the top, but to me it looks like quite a bit. Let me see if I can attach the pics I just took. Looks like cracking underneath too. Oh, and they yellow parts are the oil pools. I ran the amounts by a couple of people and they said that it looked good. So is this a rebatch candidate?

post-28-139458394334_thumb.jpg

post-28-139458394336_thumb.jpg

Okay, I'm going to take a stab at this. It doesn't look like it overheated, in fact, just the opposite. Maybe you were trying to soap at a thin trace and you just got it emulsified, but it didn't really trace, so it seperated (guess number one). Or, maybe you used too much fo (although that looks like way too much oil --usually if you use too much fo, you get more of an oil "sweat")--guess number two.

I'd say you wait for a couple of days to see if the oil incorporates and if not, it's a rebatch. Honestly, I don't think it's going to incorporate.:undecided But, hey, you did a beautiful swirl:D

Usually something like that I blame the FO, unless I know I poured at a really thin trace like Janis said. It looks like it thickened up a bit as you swirled - maybe it's an illusion that the colored parts look higher than the oily section - so that would probably be the FO starting to seize.. How was it acting as you were swirling?

I mixed it just for a couple of minutes until it got to a thin trace, but by the time I got my stuff in and stirred it was thicker (not soap on a stick thick, but thicker). I was trying to avoid it getting too thick, because I had to add the titanium dioxide, the FO, the color and the cream. Many of my batches have been getting thick on me and so I had no swirl time. So I was trying to give myself more working time, to pull off a swirl. I am thinking now that I probably just didn't blend it long enough. I only put 2 oz. of Lavender FO in it, it is a 4 lb. batch and it didn't make it seize at all. So, how do I proceed with this? Do I just do a normal rebatch, cut it up and dump all the oil in with it? I want to try it out in the presto pot. Thanks everyone so much for the advice, I think you all hit it on the head, sometimes pictures help, LOL!

And I just checked on it, the oil is still all on top, doesn't appear to be sinking in at all.

What a bummer man!! :( The swirls you've got going on with that are sooo dang pretty it's a shame that it didn't turn out for you. Of course if it was ME, I'd hope for a miracle and just let it sit for a week or so and just "see" if it reincorporated into the soap, cuz I'd hate to lose those pretty swirls, but of course I know NOTHING about soaping at all (since I'm still too chicken to try it LOL) so just ignore me if you want. ;)

Well, good news. The soap was still soft and oily this morning, so I took it and finished cooking it to incorporate the oil, in my presto pot (thank you Julia!). What an easy process and worked like a charm. :grin2: Just spooned it out into my plastic molds and they are resting comfortably on the stove, Yea! Couldn't you do a HP soap in these as pots as well, instead of the crockpot? Presto pots, not just for candles anymore, LOL!

What a bummer man!! :( The swirls you've got going on with that are sooo dang pretty it's a shame that it didn't turn out for you. Of course if it was ME, I'd hope for a miracle and just let it sit for a week or so and just "see" if it reincorporated into the soap, cuz I'd hate to lose those pretty swirls, but of course I know NOTHING about soaping at all (since I'm still too chicken to try it LOL) so just ignore me if you want. ;)

Don't be chicken Michi. Once you do it, you will wonder why you waited so long. Every batch is an adventure for me and I am having so much fun trying different things out. Come'on Michi, whatcha waitin for? :D

• 3 weeks later...
Well, good news. The soap was still soft and oily this morning, so I took it and finished cooking it to incorporate the oil, in my presto pot (thank you Julia!). What an easy process and worked like a charm. :grin2: Just spooned it out into my plastic molds and they are resting comfortably on the stove, Yea! Couldn't you do a HP soap in these as pots as well, instead of the crockpot? Presto pots, not just for candles anymore, LOL!

Going thru old posts and saw my name:D I wouldn't do HP in a presto pot just as Robin said. You need stainless steel or enamel/crock type and not teflon coated. Believe me, I thought about it when doing all that soap this weekend, but I "did" use it to melt my oils :D