Veggie's in CP soap?

Guest EMercier

Guest EMercier

OK, my mom has seen my pictures, (I've gotten better) and now she wants me to make some cucumber soap for her. How do I do that? I was thinking of using (not all together):

Cucumbers

Carrots

Avacado

I wanted to go to the store last night, but that's all I needed and didn't want to feel like a perve just getting that. How do I incorporate that with the lye and do I need water? I was just going to use the base recipe that I got off here that works for me and wanted to add the veggie's to make it work.

Also, on a side note - where can I get poopy seeds?

You can get poppy seeds in the spice aisle at the grocery store.

I think bunny posted how she made the cucumber soap, that was just 1-2 weeks ago, that thread can't be that far back. I've seen people use baby food carrots but not fresh carrots. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just haven't read about it. I know I've seen something about Avocado, you might just search that word here and in the archives.

When I do veggies I usually puree them really good and just add a bit at trace. I've done cucumbers and carrots, and used carrot juice as the full water (if you want an orange soap). Baby food is a nice consistency already so you don't have to drag out the blender :) Applesauce works great too.

Guest EMercier

OK, forgive me if I spelled poppy seeds wrong. Also, I just read Bunny's post (sorry I read it the first itme, but didn't notice she told how she put the veggies in there).

So, from what she said, I put the pureed vegetables in with the oils and then mix the lye solution in there? Also, with the carrot soap, she used the baby food, does that go in the oils as well. Do I take away from the oil amounts to account for the vegetable? Finally, since you can use carrot juice as full water, do you still use the same amount if I were to use regular distilled water?

OK, forgive me if I spelled poppy seeds wrong. Also, I just read Bunny's post (sorry I read it the first itme, but didn't notice she told how she put the veggies in there).

So, from what she said, I put the pureed vegetables in with the oils and then mix the lye solution in there? Also, with the carrot soap, she used the baby food, does that go in the oils as well. Do I take away from the oil amounts to account for the vegetable? Finally, since you can use carrot juice as full water, do you still use the same amount if I were to use regular distilled water?

LMAO. I didn't even notice you spelled poppy seeds wrong. I had to go back and look.

Hopefully Robin will pop back in. I've been thinking about soaping vegies also.

Pop :)

If I'm using pureed veggies, I usually add a bit more than that - about 1 oz per pound of oils,I weigh it. I can tell the difference a little bit - the natural sugars from the veggies enhance lather. Mostly I do it for label.

I do it at trace w/ my normal recipe. If you don't discount water, you might want to reduce your water for your lye a little bit, to offset the moisture in the puree. I've never added pureed veggies into my lye water or into the oils before adding the lye, I figure it might turn funky colors.

I use carrot juice as 100% of the water - haven't had a problem with the lye dissolving. You just have to be a little more careful stirring since you wouldn't be able to see any undissolved lye.

Guest EMercier

So for the carrot juice, am I using store bought juice or make my own and strain it? I just want to try this out this weekend, since I have a show not for a few now, but that crowd is a more earthy organic crowd. Just looking for stuff to go over well. It's my first two day show. I've only did one day shows. I've also done two in the same weekend and that killed me!

Many of them I added the extras in a trace. Off hand I did the cuc with the oils, because I didn't have my food processor here at home, and stuck my soft oils with cucumber in the blender. The stick blender just wasn't man enough to puree it. All my additives were around 1 0z ppo too..