Digital Thermometer suggestions please.

I already have a digital thermometer (one with a probe that you attach to the side of the pot) and like it but it seems to take ages to take a reading. Any suggestions for a super-fast, accurate model (and supplier)? Because it weighs so little I'll probably just order one from the USA. Thanks, Mozz

Hey Mozzie,

Here is a link that might help you:

http://www.infrared-usa.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=142&CategoryID=1746

This is the one I have.I love it!!

It might cost more, but it lasts forever.

It it also very accurate.

Wow, looks brilliant! Which model do you have? Raytek MiniTemp MT2 without laser sighting, or Raytek MiniTemp MT4 with laser sighting. And how does it work - do you just point it at the wax in your pot?

I have the Raytek MiniTemp w/light* & LOVE LOVE LOVE it, it totally changed my candle making experience, I also have a Taylor w/wireless remote that I could not live without ;) hth

* I point mine & see the beam, that way you know exactly where your getting your reading from ;)

Wow, looks brilliant! Which model do you have? Raytek MiniTemp MT2 without laser sighting, or Raytek MiniTemp MT4 with laser sighting. And how does it work - do you just point it at the wax in your pot?

I just went & looked at mine again, it does not say if its a MT2 or 4 but looks just like the picture in the link posted above, I got mine a couple of years ago, you would be surprised how handy it is, not just candle making ;)

I recall from my research into infrared thermometers that a lot of them are specified for +/- 4 degrees accuracy. I didn't love that. Even if it's a conservative spec, you do trade off accuracy for convenience. It seems to be the nature of the beast that an infrared thermometer is less accurate than a good conventional thermometer.

Ideally infrared thermometers need to be calibrated for different substances, but this isn't practical for a consumer model so they're adjusted to a compromise that hopefully works reasonably well for a variety of materials. Nevertheless, it's recommended to put tape on reflective metal to get a better reading, and with certain materials (such as glass) that's the ONLY way to get a correct reading.

When all was said and done I didn't trust the thing enough to spring a bunch of money. I put the greatest value on getting the right temperature and the thermometers I have provide that much more economically.

Top, thanks for the extra info re infra-red. How fast do you get a reading on your Taylor thermometer, as that's my biggest gripe?
I'd guestimate that it takes the better part of 10 seconds to stabilize at the correct reading if you put the cold thermometer in the hot wax and stir. After that it's fast enough to keep up if the temperature is changing.

Of course if you want a truly instant reading the infrared is the way to go. I never find the need for that myself. Taylor candy thermometers get clipped to melters for monitoring. They're on the slow side but very accurate. I use the digital for better speed and resolution when (for instance) stirring wax down to pouring temp.