My first candle making experience....

Hi all,

I spent this past weekend pouring soy container candles-my first time! I poured 10 different scents experimenting with 3 different soy waxes & two different wick types. They started out looking really great. Then while curing, I got air bubbles (taken care of with a heat gun), wet spots-some really big ones, and frosting on some. icon9.gif Why oh why can't they stay looking as pretty as when they are first poured?!? The main problem I have though is cracking, some of the wax has cracked all the way through. The cracks have anly appeared in the JS Soy & Superior Soy so far. I have also tried Cargil nature wax-no cracks there-just frosting & wet spots. The ones that are cracking also seem to not be adhering to the container. The is wax literally loose in the jar. I am heating to around 190, adding FO & dye around 175 then stirring & letting cool till slushy-around 110 then pouring into warmed jars. Does anybody else have this cracking problem? I was also wondering how long to cure before burning, I have heard everything from 24 hrs to a

week. Also, do you normally cure with lids on or off?icon12.gif

Thanks, Anne

My advice would be to test one wax at a time. You are asking many questions and making comments about 3 very different waxes. I am not sure about the other 2, but Cargill if I remember right, needs to be poured hot, and requires a week or more cure time. It is much easier on the nerves, to only try to pick one wax battle at a time. If you just don't like it or can't get it to do what you want it to do, go on to the next one. But that is just my .02 cents. :D

Hi all,

I spent this past weekend pouring soy container candles-my first time! I poured 10 different scents experimenting with 3 different soy waxes & two different wick types. They started out looking really great. Then while curing, I got air bubbles (taken care of with a heat gun), wet spots-some really big ones, and frosting on some. icon9.gif Why oh why can't they stay looking as pretty as when they are first poured?!? The main problem I have though is cracking, some of the wax has cracked all the way through. The cracks have anly appeared in the JS Soy & Superior Soy so far. I have also tried Cargil nature wax-no cracks there-just frosting & wet spots. The ones that are cracking also seem to not be adhering to the container. The is wax literally loose in the jar. I am heating to around 190, adding FO & dye around 175 then stirring & letting cool till slushy-around 110 then pouring into warmed jars. Does anybody else have this cracking problem? I was also wondering how long to cure before burning, I have heard everything from 24 hrs to a

week. Also, do you normally cure with lids on or off?icon12.gif

Thanks, Anne

Hi Anne,

Not sure if I can be of much help, as I have never used any of those waxes before.

Just wanting to make sure you are using a container blend, and not a votive/pillar blend because of the cracking. And also make sure that you are following the suggested melt and pour temps for each....all soy wax is not the same. All I know is that if I use a wax that says to pour slushy, I do not warm the jars. Oh- and did you wash your jars first??

I also find that I have to "play" around w/pour temps to see what works best - (I can pour warmer when the temp in my house is warmer and it is warmer outside :wink2:). And some waxes are more prone to frosting than others, and some color/scent combos can increase the chances of that also.

I am relatively new myself....so by the way...welcome

:wave:

I cure w/the lids on, so I can put them away.

Slow down girl slow down!;) Truthfully you need to work with one wax, one scent and one wick type at time . Going to fast and you just get lost which kind of sounds like what has happen. This is not a race this but a learning experience.

What you are trying to do is start a class and jump to the final grade. You miss everything that was taught.