Butter Crumbles!

Wick It

I recently ordered some Shea, Mango and Cocoa butters from GL. They were fine when I received them but a few days ago when I opened the containers they had dried out. The Cocoa butter has broken up into "rocks" and the Shea and Mango have solidified. Are they ruined or can I still use them?

Sorry, cocoa butter doesn't break up into rocks all by itself.

Jenniejr is right. The others are solid at room temp.

Are you sure you checked them when you got them?

Hey Carrie in Idaho - Where's the love?

What do you think I'm doing to my cocoa butter? Abusing it?

Apparently it does, indeed, happen because the wonderful Brenda at GL was familiar with it. She wrote to me the following:

"From what I am reading, these butters can be "crumbly" so it may be ok.

HTH

Brenda"

Yes, butters can be crumbly. Cocoa Butter is hard, like rocks. It doesn't just sit there nicely one day and the next day decide to break into little pieces. Shea Butter can be crumbly, I like it that way, it's easier to get out of the bucket. Mango butter, is sticky.

If it was 80 degrees when your oils arrived and the inside of the UPS truck was 110, then I can see why your butters weren't hard when they arrived.

The cocoa butter that I buy comes all broken up into little rock like pieces. It is shipped out that way, it doesn't do it by itself when I'm not looking. :D

I recently ordered some Shea, Mango and Cocoa butters from GL. They were fine when I received them but a few days ago when I opened the containers they had dried out. The Cocoa butter has broken up into "rocks" and the Shea and Mango have solidified. Are they ruined or can I still use them?

Hi - just wanted to clarify that these were not ordered from us because we don't sell them yet. Glad to see that the CT members were able to answer your question as I knew they would :wink2:

Thanks

Wickit - from what I have read in their responses - the Cocoa Butter should be fine to use. Just melt it into your recipe. I have gathered that they are all hard butters for the most part (even though Mango could be sticky). Sometimes as products travel in shipment, things happen to them. If they were put in a compartment underneath a plane - they freeze and then thaw after landing since they were at who know what altitude on the plane. Or the heat or cold of a UPS truck or the rail cars they use to transport nationwide.

Not sure why they were one way when they arrived and then another when you went back to them but it might have been caused by "transportation shock" for the lack of a better term.

HTH

Hey Carrie in Idaho - Where's the love?

What do you think I'm doing to my cocoa butter? Abusing it?

Apparently it does, indeed, happen because the wonderful Brenda at GL was familiar with it. She wrote to me the following:

"From what I am reading, these butters can be "crumbly" so it may be ok.

HTH

Brenda"

Why do you need love doh :awww: you asked a question Carrie answered, once you melt it it won't be "crumbly" no more. worse things could happen like getting coconut oil 76 in a ziplock bag. Oh I'm in Hawaii where the weather rarely gets below 76 :laugh2:

Why do you need love doh :awww: you asked a question Carrie answered, once you melt it it won't be "crumbly" no more. worse things could happen like getting coconut oil 76 in a ziplock bag. Oh I'm in Hawaii where the weather rarely gets below 76 :laugh2:

It was the tone she used, but I'm sure that is a subtle point that eludes you. Although I can see why you support her because you, like her, and a number of others, make up this little clique of people who want others to know that "you say it like you mean it and if you don't like it, tough". Sounds like an inferiority complex. Well good for you. Because its those attitudes that are making the world a little rougher, a little ruder. I asked a civil question. All I wanted was a civil answer with NO ATTITUDE. Apparently its becoming too much to ask for people to just be NICE. It has become a four letter word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW you mean you could hear her tone? I bet you can hear mine too :D

You asked a question she answered, and you didn't like her answer. I think the only one with an inferior complex here is you. As for a clique haha, but you are right I do say what I feel or think, after all we do have freedom of speech :whistle:

Well, I guess I have to stick ny nose in. I've broke up a lot of cocoa butter (100# in 1 day!) and if there is some magic that will cause it to break up all by itself please let me know!!

The last I did required a meat clever and hammer:D

I didn't say "inferior" complex. Guess schools in Hawaii aren't that great!

OUCH LOL you know you talk all about attitude and shit but look who's trying to be better than someone else?

Maybe Hawaii schools aren't that great, but neither are you Missy :D

and you didn't say inferior you said Quote Sounds like an inferiority complex what is the difference?

Yup, single bagged in a ziplock, leaked in the shipping box, greased up everything in the box and the outside walls of the box, ick. :undecided

Had wondered why the mailman was looking at it a little peculier when he delivered it, LOL!