Pringles Can?

Grumpy Girl

Dumb question here.

When using a Pringles can, do you take the metal piece off the bottom and maybe tape something over the end, I'm thinking the metal wouldn't be a good thing, but not sure how you are doing it. I loved the round soaps in the gallery.

I use them to make shaving soap. I was going to start using them for test batches but I bought a 9 bar Kelsei that I'm in love with. It holds just about the same amount of soap. 2lb batch fills the mold 1" deep. The bars come out between 4.5 and 5oz.

How do you insulate that?? :confused: I just found some Red Devil Lye (looked everywhere!!!) I'm trying a 2lb batch to start with. Do you put the top on? I know that once I start, I won't be able to stop!:laugh2: I've been wondering what to put my first batch in. I took some cardboard boxes from the supermarket today (they are smaller sized).

Forgive me for rambling...but I'm a newbie to this, and I can't wait to make my first batch. You all have been an inspiration to me. Only hoping my first batch works.... :tiptoe:

And yes, I'll report my results, and try to take pics.

Steph in tx

I think the easiest way to insulate it would be to roll it into a folded towel before you fill it and secure the towel with rubbery-bands. Then just drape a towel on top after filling and putting saran over it. I could be wrong, but that's what I plan on doing. I need to find a good shaving soap recipe now.

I think the easiest way to insulate it would be to roll it into a folded towel before you fill it and secure the towel with rubbery-bands. Then just drape a towel on top after filling and putting saran over it. I could be wrong, but that's what I plan on doing. I need to find a good shaving soap recipe now.

That's what I've done. Roll a towel around it, just like insulating molds when making palm pillars, that's where I got the idea.

The inside is coated with a plasticy/rubbery stuff. I remove the can like a can of bisquets, only starting at the top, not the middle. Unroll the edge and find the seam and rip the sides down.

Also, sometimes the soap grows. Don't pour all the way to the top. I've seen some pretty phallic looking pictures of what soaps look like when they come out of a pringles can. None of mine have heated up like that, thank goodness.

Here's a good picture, if you can see it. http://www.the-whisk.us/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=3021

Remember, we want pictures..:D

• 6 months later...

guppygirl: And, yup, how would one go about insulting this?

Well everyone has their own style, but I'd sneer at it and say,'You stupid roll of wannabe metal... " Followed by a slew of other not very nice words.

:D As I said I couldn't resist. It's nearly 3 am and this night owl is bored, lol. Please forgive me, lol. -Laura