Metallic Gold??

Hi again,

I attempted to use some of BCNs metallic gold dye block to make a cut-n-carve candle. It melted beautifully in a seperate pot, I added a little plain 4611 melted wax to the gold and still had a decent color but it started looking more bronze than the gold.

During the dips, which I did by Bruces suggestion of using hot water and the wax on top, the gold really looks bronze and more of a dark brown. When dried and carved, it really looks like a light dark brown if that makes sense! It sure didnt have any gold metallic features! I used one square inch (my scale needs to be replaced as it can no longer read small weights) of metallic gold to 1 cup of melted 4611 wax. Any suggestions??

Bruce, are you reading this?? Do you use any of the metallic dye blocks in your carved candles??

Thanks all! So sorry for all the questions and YES, I have researced but it seems some of my questions just cant be found and little info can be found on the net regarding the 4611 wax!

God Bless,

OFCILynn

Nope, I use dyes only. Those are pigments that you have to keep stiring and stiring to keep the pigment from going to the bottom of the tank. Not the best thing to use of you are floating your wax. I have some of the stuff and played with the gold and didnt like the way it looked, not very metalic looking to me. They did look much better at a stronger mix of pigment vs wax like a 50/50 mix. I also melted the stuff with a torch and made it drip on a mushroom candle and it was very metalic looking straight. I also made a molded pillar candle and it looked like crap. Bruce

Thanks so much for the reply Bruce and so glad that its not just me! I agree about melting it straight as it did look very nice in that form but not when I added the wax! Urrrrg! There would be no way at all to do a straight layer in our CNC candles is there and have other layers stick to it??

What liquid dyes do you currently use if you don't mind me asking? I had already ordered the bricks but will be going to the liquid dyes as I do not like having the suspended mixture with the pigment blocks!

I do have some 1343 wax that I am also going to be trying for the CNCs and will attempt again the metallic to see if it mixes better with that wax but doubt it. I did decide to go with the 4611 as it is mainly for the CNC's and figured it would allow me a bit more time for carving! LOL

Thanks for all your help Bruce, sure do appreciate you!

God Bless,

OFCILynn

I had the same problem with my gold, it looked good melted in the vat but not in the candle it was bronze/brown looking color when finished.

I have a customer that wants a black and gold carved candle and so far the black and yellow is as close as I've been able to get to what she wants.

Good luck.......let me know if you find out how to make the gold work.

Thanks so much for the reply Bruce and so glad that its not just me! I agree about melting it straight as it did look very nice in that form but not when I added the wax! Urrrrg! There would be no way at all to do a straight layer in our CNC candles is there and have other layers stick to it??

What liquid dyes do you currently use if you don't mind me asking? I had already ordered the bricks but will be going to the liquid dyes as I do not like having the suspended mixture with the pigment blocks!

I do have some 1343 wax that I am also going to be trying for the CNCs and will attempt again the metallic to see if it mixes better with that wax but doubt it. I did decide to go with the 4611 as it is mainly for the CNC's and figured it would allow me a bit more time for carving! LOL

Thanks for all your help Bruce, sure do appreciate you!

God Bless,

OFCILynn

I only use powdered dyes myself, never liquid.