Dipping Vats and cooled wax!???????

Hello everyone, I would like to know what you all do with your wax that you use in dipping vats. I have the large ones that holds 6 quarts of wax that I am using for Dip-n-carve candles. I made up my titanium dioxide in one last night and of course today, its solid as a rock. I have been trying to melt it back down for hours now.

Did I mess up?? Should I not allow my clear and my white 4611 wax to remain in the dipping vats till next use?? That is alot of wax to store in another container to melt down again! I am only using ONE modified Presto pot to melt my wax and then pour it into pouring pots and transfer into my dipping vats, and a few no longer used, household, NON Teflon pots to melt my wax. I am using cookie racks on the bottom of two turkey roasters on my gas stove top for my dipping vats and pouring pots that I'm using to melt wax. I did start using a huge canning pot with a rack on the bottom to try and melt the hardened white in the DP and its helping some as the water level can cover more of the DP.

Any suggestions? If this wasn't for the cut-n-carve candles I would NEVER melt that much wax if I wasn't going to be using it up right away.

Thanks All,

OFCILynn

Hi all,

Using the same thing, a deep stock pot on a raised trivet, with the water level as high in the pot as it could go without boiling over, was the way that I was able to finaly get it to melt! Still took a total of 2 hours to melt it all. That was with the switching it over from the roasting pan which wasnt near as deep. Ill have to see how long it takes to do in the stock pot when I go to melt it again tomorrow. Bad thing is, I only have ONE stock pot and am not about to use my 140.00 pressure cooker pot,..............which I did think about! LOL

I can definatly see that down the road, I will be spending the money to get a real dipping tank that will house 8 or more vats!!!

Tell me, do chandlers ever see the top of their stoves again once they start making candles?? LOL

God Bless!!

Sounds like your getting there. My tank takes 24 hours to melt the wax, so your not doing too bad. Bruce

24 hours? Oh my!!!!!!!!! Do you just keep it running all the time then?? How is it on your electric bill? With $500.00 heating bills here and using the stove all the time now, Im wondering how much my gas bill is going to go up and wonder if it wouldnt be better doing all electric for my candles with gas prices the way that they are!

God Bless,

OFCILynn