Question about container candles

Hello all. I have been testing my candles for a littler under a year now. I think everything i have is going well. I am using zinc wicks which must be trimmed prior to each burning. If not it causes the flame to be a little high and small amount of smoking. I have tested many many many different wicks and thsee burn the best for me. As soon as you trim it this goes away. But what happens if I start selling and my customers do not trim the wick and think my candle is bad. Does anyone else have this problem? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The warning label has all the info the customer needs. If I do parties etc.... I always talk about this. Some people will just burn the candle and never trim the wick and soot is what they expect. For my wholesale accounts I have a little sign with the warning instrutions and wick trimming procedures in a little plactic holder, this seems to help. It is amazing , I have gone into some of the stores I sell to and they will be buning one of my candles and there will be soot all over the jar. I will ask them if they have read the sign I made for the store or if they have ever read a warning label and the answer is alway no. go figure.

I use zinc too and they burn great when trimmed properly. But my customers tell me flat out that they won't trim. They don't care about getting soot or having a large flame, as long as the candle smells good. I've informed them numerous times about trimming, but it's really up to them. You can't make a candle that burns perfectly in all conditions.

I angers me too when a store owner who is selling my candles never trims the wick on his display candle that is burning! Soot all over the jar! I make 100% soy candles and this upsets me to no end. I use zinc wicks too but I've found all wicks will soot if you don't trim them! I've gotten his employees to trim the candles and they look nice but not him or his son! It looks really bad when a customer spys those untrimmed candles!

I had a customer try and return a candle for all the soot and then I asked her if she trimmed the wick? She she said she didn't know but she bought it at a show and I put directions as well as a scent list in every bag. She threw out the direction because she said she knew how to burn a candle. WRONG!!!!!:angry2: I didn't replace the candle and she bought another one and trimmed the wick and was amazed.

"It looked just like the three you displayed in your booth. the Jar was spotless!"

Congragulations Mrs. John Q Public!:lipsrseal

yep, same thing here, people just don't trim. I have given as presents so many wick trimmers. I figure it is worth it. I don't know a candle that won't soot if you don't trim and I have tried nearly every wick out there (HTP, LX, CD, Cotton, you know the drill...LOL). I have to admit, I burned candels for years and years and never ever trimmed. I didn't know. It was only about a year before I started to make candles that I learned and I still didnt' have a clue about wick trimmers until this board.

I walk in a friend house and she was burning one of my candles,the jar was solid black.I was in total shock,:angry2: that jar and scent,and wicks had been thoroughly tested.I ask her do you ever trim the wick?Hell can't people see the soot coming out the top of the jar?

Anna