laser printer recommendations?

Sarah

time to upgrade :)

i hope to be getting a color laser printer by this time next month. so i'm wondering what everyone's opinions are on what's out there? any that you would recommend looking into or any i should completely avoid? i'd like to stay around $500.

any info at all will help, thanks!

I have a color HP and Minolta. Both do great!

If I may offer a few suggestions. My Bus partner Jeff...his full time job is Dept Mgr at Staples...yep he is my geek! 2 major things we looked at was 1. the cost of toner replacement and 2....take a couple sheets of your labels you use in...run test pages. We found a lot of the laser printers DO NOT like clear label sheets.

Our printers were $300.

I will put in a second vote for Oki C5150. I have had it for just over a year now. I am always printing something and I finally had to replace my color toners last fall, but the black is still going strong from when I first bought the printer.

Good Luck,

Kim

Another vote for the Oki's!

I have the Oki 5200N. (I got it on sale and after rebates for $400! :yay: )

We have a print center at my day job, and they have testing a bunch of laser printers, and by far the Oki's do better than the others. The quality of the prints rivals most professional printers.

And they've had big rebates lately, too! This is the 3200- I'm not sure of the differences with the 3200 and the 5000 series, other than speed and paper tray capabilities.

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=488794&&An=browse

Their fusers do get pretty hot, though, so you have to be careful with clear and other labels that have a low heat tolerance.

I have a 2 year old Minolta (2300DL) and love it. Will never go without a CL printer again.....I'd rather go w/o sex ;).

At Staples, you can currently get the 2400 for $300, plus a $100 rebate so final cost is $200!

The 2450 is $300, and offers better resolution that the 2400.

Kimberly has a good idea about taking clear labels if you use them. Or, possibbly, if you can get (from the label manufacturer) the temperature rating for the labels, then compare it against the temp. rating on the printer.....some run hotter/cooler than others.

ETA: Updated prices after Kimberly's 'hot deal' post :)

Hp printers break down ALOT!! So I would not advise getting any of their products. Canon has awesome lasers.

Tess we have had great luck with our HP printers!

I have the HP Color Laser 2600 and 2 HP Deskjet 5650 and 5800....not to mention the 2 black and white Laser Printers we have here!...lol

I have the Minolta QMS 2300W, had it for 1 1/2 years, never replaced a toner yet, but think I need to replace the black one real soon. I have no complaints with this printer, except that it's so big, but they all are. And you know how printers are, they change almost daily, I bet the new Minoltas are even better.

I use glossy labels on my Lexmark Color Laser and have really had a lot of trouble. Ruined the photodeveloper, but don't know which labels did it. Use Planet and

Desktop labels. The photo cartridge costs over $200, and the color cartridges are the same. It does a beautiful job, but really costs. Good luck.

I also forgot to mention about the Okidata... it is a one pass color laser printer. Many of the budget color lasers have to make 4 passes to get all the colors which may put a higher rate of jams or labels peeling off while printing. And since it is a one pass printer, it can print in color faster.

OMG Kimbery, that is a hell of a deal. Nothing wrong with my 2300, but at this price it makes me think I need another one :laugh2:

LOL.....me too Gerrie, I'm sooooooo thinking that same thing. Hmm....I get a new one, DH can have my old one, good deal!

Lindsaycb....i use crystal clear labels for my lip balms and have no troubles at all. THe toner stays where it's supposed to, not on my fingers ;).

This printer is great, we used it for a year and it was beautiful. Our only problem was that it did tend to jam easily and I had to reload the software to get it to run properly at least once a week. I think I had a faulty printer. We print MANY labels and brochures and it did a beautiful job.

I used my warranty and replaced it with an HP-- which also prints nicely, but I prefer it's ease of use, and the way the cartridges load and sit in the printer. I would recommend this printer, but be sure to get the warranty, just in case.

You can get great color laser printers these days for excellent prices!