need hurricane/waterslide decal help...

I've used the waterslide decals before - found Yaley brand at Hobby Lobby a long time ago and it worked great.

A while back I ordered some from Bel Inc. I got the inkjet type because I didn't have my laser then. This stuff is HORRIBLE. Either that or I'm just that clumsy. Does anybody have any tips? I've wasted about 4 pieces of paper so far. Every single one the picture got stretch marks lol I don't know how else to explain it....its like the it crinkled and stretched and messed the picture up.

This is driving me insane. Is it just inkjet type? Is the laser type this difficult too? My friends mom just passed away and I'm trying to make her a memorial hurricane.

I also have always embedded my photos using copy paper, so I can't help with the water decals. But you could always try to make one this way since your having so much trouble with the decals. The instructions are on the left to get you started. They are much easier than they look, but may take a little practice to get your picture perfectly placed, so have patience with yourself. Using this technique, you can usually reuse the same pic and wax over and over til it's perfect. Plus there are MANY people on this board who do this and can help you if you need us. Good Luck.:highfive:

Ok here's what I do, HTH. I put the pic basically where I want it, snug against the wall, then I hit the outside of the mold with the heat gun to get the area hot again, then make sure the pic is exactly where I want it. I use a skewer and start with the bottom corner (I leave my pics in square/rectangle and use the bottom of the mold and try to line up the bottom of the pic with the bottom of the mold. I've had better luck having them straight this way.) I then take my cold washcloth and start with that corner then run my skewer and wash cloth up that side. I then lightly drag my skewer along the pic to the other bottom corner and repeat. I keep an eye on the otherside, not allowing it to melt as I am working on the other side. Then the middle. When I have a nice layer on the pic, I hold a cold wash cloth over the pic and move to water bath. Most times this works very well for me. I do have to do them over from time to time, but it usually works. HTH

I've tried the ink jet water slide decals with limited success. It works fine for small things but never could get it to work for the larger main picture. I used the decals mainly for trim / decorations on the backside of a picture 'cane.

There are as many ways to do a picture embedded 'cane as there are candle makers. Donita has put up a slide show with step by step instructions. Part of your problems could be the wax you're using. I finally gave up on the IGI 1260, went to the 5055 from Candlewic and saw a 100% improvement. I use 24# bright white HP paper, put my picture in my Presto to coat it with wax and get all the air bubbles out of it and then set them aside to dry. Once the wax is poured into the heated mold, drop in the wax coated pic. Then use the skewer, chop stick, spoon , whatever to place the pic to the side of the mold and squeeze out any air, etc. I wrap an ice cube in a wet paper towel to set the wax in the area of the picture. It takes practice but works pretty well. Temps are really important to the process. Preheat the mold, check the wax temp (5055 pour at 190) and the water bath temp (70 degrees). Just do a search on slide shows for Donita's instructions.

When I tried embedding the image, I was using 1554 w/micro - I can't remember the ratio though. Thats what I'm using now too....I'm just not sure I want to try it again lol Oh, it was soooo frustrating for me before - I didn't give up quickly either ;)

I'll probably try it again. I really do like the decals though....at least, the ones I used before (they were pinted with a laser printer). Maybe inkjet vs laser makes the difference....

I use that same decal paper and have no problems. I don't remove it totally from the paper while soaking, I slide it part way off the paper, place it on my candle, then smooth and slide the rest of the paper off as I slide the decal on the candle. Don't know if this is making sense, I never really put it in words before, I just did it LOL!! :cool2:

That does make sense! Thats how I did it with the paper I used before. This paper doesn't seem to want to slide as easy though. I think maybe if I slid it slightly off the backing while its still in the water, as you say, it might work. With the paper before, I put the whole thing, backing and decal, on the candle and the backing slid out from behind it very very smoothly and easily.

I've got a few sheets left out of my 10 pack lol Maybe I'll try it again...