Hi! Candle maker curious about soaping!

joyofsoycandle

I come in here and look at all the soaps you guys make and it makes me want to make some sooo bad!! Should I just stick to melt and pour? Ive done that, but your whatever the heck kind of soaps they are look so much better! lol. Are they cp, hp? You can see I have NO clue! Whatever all those in the gallery are, that you slice and they look so yummy! I sound so stupid when it comes to soap! lol. Anyway I was wondering, ive seen places that sell some premade soap...that you just melt and pour but its the kind thats made from scratch, only i wouldnt have to make it from scratch LOL. Or, whats the next easiest step? I want to make some for me and the kids to try. And just not sure where to start other than regular melt and pour. What do you think for a soaper beginner? lol

Editing to show the soap base i was talking about besides basic melt and pour.

"This is a basic rebatch refill, in a shredded form. It is a simple, all purpose base that makes an excellent starter base for beginners. Ingredients: Lard, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Lye, and Water."

There is a bunch of information for making soap. Here is a link from the archives that has a bunch of good information. The first link has a tutorial that Robin made that I used as a guide the first time I made soap. It's fun and addicting.

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=bathandbody;action=display;num=1078003334

http://www.candletech.com/bathbody.htm

making soap sounds alot scarier than it actually is.....must be safe and of course use some protective gear but once I made my 1st batch I was hooked. It is truly amazing some of the creative things you can do with soap. Robins tutorial on cp soap is wonderful.....

M&P soap can also be amazing - you can add so much to it and it is pretty....but you cannot be as creative with mp as you can with the cp (imo) For example, see Buny's avocado, cucumber and sour cream soaps...:shocked2: Amazing!

Try it.....

Debbie

Well I just did my first batch and clearly if I can do it then anyone can. I have to be the only person who made soap using Murphy's Law of anything that can go wrong will. And he's still here visiting! But read a lot and pick a lot of people's brains.

Just don't pick my brain cause all you'll get is hot air :whistle: I don't know my a$$ from my brain about soap but I"m trying har har :yay:

I know these are extremely stupid questions...but i seriously dont have a clue how to even start...to make soap. Should I try cp or hp first? Where do i get lye? In the directions part of the tutorial it says mix lye water, how much lye, how much water?? lol im sure its somewhere in this forum but im so new to this soap stuff i dont have a clue. What are soft and hard oils, what does it mean to bring to trace? What can you use for a mold? I know for the hp soap tutorial it showed what you could use, can you use the same thing for cp soap? What do most of you think is easier, cp or hp? I know i sound extremely stupid, but i dont know lol When singleyellow roses recipe says lard, what kind of lard?? crisco? where do you get the lard....lol....olive oil and sunflower oil, are those just the oils you can get at the grocery store, and whats pko? Please dont think im incredibly stupid, but i need step by step instructions here lol :o

I know these are extremely stupid questions...but i seriously dont have a clue how to even start...to make soap. Should I try cp or hp first? Where do i get lye? In the directions part of the tutorial it says mix lye water, how much lye, how much water??:o

Hi there, just wanted to let ya know I'm a candlemaker thinking about making the leap, too. I have only piddled in m&P so far, but am gathering books & supplies to try my hand at cp. Search the web, there are tons of great sites, including this one, that offer great explanations. I had no clue what 'superfatting' was, but have since learned. It sounds like great fun & everyone here is sooooo talented.

PamR

Soap is the result of oils and lye saponifying. The exact amount of lye needed for the process depends on the oils used. A lye calculator will give you this amount.

Hard oils are oils that are solid or semi solid at room temperature. Soft oils are oils that are liquid. Some soapmaking oils can be purchased in the supermarket.

Go read and read so that you can understand the entire process.