Patents??

Dee

Was told by a candlemaker recently that the idea for a tealight in a container on the top of a candle was patented. So looked up the "Everlasting Candle" on the US Patent Office and the Canadian Patent Office web sites. Couldn't get a picture to download on the US site, but the descriptions on both sites are similar. The US patent # was 6638060. The Canadian one is pictured here

http://patents1.ic.gc.ca/details?patent_number=2392084&language=EN. Does this mean that we can't use any type of tealight holder?

Sounds like they have patented the idea of having an 'insulated' holder that the tea light sits in and calling it an Everlasting Candle. Also filling the holder with aromatherapy type oils. Seems the patent only applies to paraffin everlasting candles not gels. Oh to have a lawyer in the family.

We were discussing packaging on another thread. Their company takes it seriously! I personally am not fond of their "look" (the old lady jewelry dangle look is not for me personally )....but I do give credit where credit is due and they deserve the credit for focusing on their imagine and packaging. Kudos to them for that!

Their candles are beautiful.

I think you can make anything you want till someone who owns the patent says uh uh. Afterall a ton of the techniques we do with candles have or had patents on them. Does that mean we're supposed to stop making them?

This is basically the case. They do own the rights though and if you received a cease and desist letter, you would need to stop making that product. However, what they don't know . . .

I got something like this from my mother. It was a 6x6 scented candle with potpourri (like a chunk candle only with potpourri) in the base and a hole drilled in the top for a glass votive holder. It's the same idea with a twist. It wasn't made by these people though, she got it at a flea market in myrtle beach.

Well, Tanya, I've always thought you did really great work. I've seen their stuff and your candles are just as nice. They really have worked on packaging, presentation and uniqueness over the past few years. The stores they are in are also very designer oriented so the candles show well.

Like the new picture of you Tanya,