Got my Presto Pot

:drool:Ok, I know this is silly but I just got my presto kitchen kettle today at Wal-Mart. My question is, do I have to do anything special to it prior to melting wax? I'm planning to use a pyrex measuring cup for dipping out the hot wax, at least for the time being!

Your expertise is always appreciated! Thanks!

All i did with mine was wipe it out with a wet towel and then dry it... dont think i'll be installing a spigot like some of the people here have... i bought a teflon ladle for getting the melted wax out... i think its rated for about 400 degrees so the hot wax doesnt hurt it and i can give it a short blast from my heat gun to clean it off...

A ladle is fine. I like using a cheap metal pan, 1 quart cause it gets more wax out and it will not fall in pot all the way. I use to use a metal measuring cup but would drop and in the wax it would go. Keep a thermometer in the wax at all times so as to no get too hot. I prefer the ones I have without the spigot cause it need to be higher to fill a pot. Use a separate pot for coloring and scenting. That way you can just keep melting that wax. HTH and good luck.

Like everyone else, I just wiped mine out then dried it.

I use the Pyrex cup, too. With the way I was working and the way my work area was set up, I didn't see any advantage to adding the spout. I wanted the spout, since it seemed everyone else had one... just didn't seem worth the trouble, for my purposes.

I just wipped mine out and got ta melting!

I went to the Restaurant Supply and bought a 12 oz Laddle ( the professional ones with the LONG handle) I dip and than have the pour pot right next to it. I dump the laddle into the pot...easy!....the 12oz is FLUID ounces...not to be confused with weight. I like it very much and find it to be the cleanest way for me. 5 full laddles measures out to 3 lbs on the scale but I always have the pour pot on the scale to make sure I get it perfect.

I just wipped mine out and got ta melting!

I went to the Restaurant Supply and bought a 12 oz Laddle ( the professional ones with the LONG handle) I dip and than have the pour pot right next to it. I dump the laddle into the pot...easy!....the 12oz is FLUID ounces...not to be confused with weight. I like it very much and find it to be the cleanest way for me. 5 full laddles measures out to 3 lbs on the scale but I always have the pour pot on the scale to make sure I get it perfect.

Speaking of the scale, I saw one at Office Max; it was a digital. Is that the same type of scale you use?

Speaking of the scale, I saw one at Office Max; it was a digital. Is that the same type of scale you use?

I screwed up and bought one that my pour pots wouldn't sit on right. Short of something like that, pretty much any type will work. Just as long as your container of choice will sit on it.

I also like using grams, rather tha ounces. It makes the math easier. OTOH, it made it hard to exchange info with other people, since most use ounces. Boils down to what works for you.

Actually I sprung for the one that many of the pros here use from MyWeigh ( The KD600)

I did alot of research and reading before I purchased and decided it would be the best and LAST....and could accomodate my needs even if this "hobby" gets out of hand and gravitates towards a business.