J223 Help!

Ok - the testing continues.....and I am more confused than ever!! :embarasse

I ordered Honeywell J223 from Candles and Supplies a few months ago....worked well, except I did not have the candle wicked up enough so I had "hang-up" on the jars. I did get wet spots AFTER the second pour.

Now I have Astorlite J223 from Peaks (which, if I understand correctly...and I probably don't, they should be the same thing). Did my test candles last night and the wetspots are horrendous!

When I read the recommendations on Candles and Supplies re this wax, they said pour at 185-190....when I received the wax from Peaks, I looked it up and they (the Honeywell site) said pour temp is 145-150......

What am I misunderstanding here????

I was happy with the first J223....IF I only did a one pour....wet spots were not a problem. Do I have to poke holes and do a second pour on these for safety reasons?

I did a search for J223 - cannot find anything re the differences between the two waxes.

Thanks for any insight you can give me.......

I've used this wax for years. I'm ready to dump it. It used to be a great wax and Astor/Honeywell has changed the formulation to a point I just can't deal with it any more. I heated mine to 175 in a Presto pot added UV and left it for about 30 minutes. Poured it into pour pots and brought the temp down to 165-10 added color, 160-165 added FO and poured between 155-160. Put my jars in a box insulated with bubble wrap and had the most beautiful candles. Never a wet spot. Now that it's been reformulated, I have smoking issues, soot issues, wet spot issues, sinking issues....to many issues to hassle with any further. I'm testing Greenleafs new 70/30 blend and have been very pleased. Good luck!

I've also used this wax for a long...(maybe too long) time......

I ordered Honeywell J223 from Candles and Supplies a few months ago....worked well, except I did not have the candle wicked up enough so I had "hang-up" on the jars. I did get wet spots AFTER the second pour.

I never do a 2nd pour....sometimes have to zap the top (not very often) to flatten/smooth out.....(223 is a single pour wax)

Now I have Astorlite J223 from Peaks (which, if I understand correctly...and I probably don't, they should be the same thing). Did my test candles last night and the wetspots are horrendous!

Learn to embrace your wetspots??!! :P We notice them much more than others...:sad2:

When I read the recommendations on Candles and Supplies re this wax, they said pour at 185-190....when I received the wax from Peaks, I looked it up and they (the Honeywell site) said pour temp is 145-150......

185-190 is much too hot to pour.....I heat to 180, add color, fo at ~150 then pour....(into heated jars)

What am I misunderstanding here????

I was happy with the first J223....IF I only did a one pour....wet spots were not a problem. Do I have to poke holes and do a second pour on these for safety reasons?

I did a search for J223 - cannot find anything re the differences between the two waxes.

Thanks for any insight you can give me.......

I have been (mostly) happy with this wax - however, I have not had to order any for the past year so if there is a change in the formulation I am unaware/unaffected. But, I am also waiting for the sample of 70/30 from Greenleaf as I have heard/read so many great comments on this.

Good Luck!

Debbie

I've used this wax for years. I'm ready to dump it. It used to be a great wax and Astor/Honeywell has changed the formulation to a point I just can't deal with it any more. I heated mine to 175 in a Presto pot added UV and left it for about 30 minutes. Poured it into pour pots and brought the temp down to 165-10 added color, 160-165 added FO and poured between 155-160. Put my jars in a box insulated with bubble wrap and had the most beautiful candles. Never a wet spot. Now that it's been reformulated, I have smoking issues, soot issues, wet spot issues, sinking issues....to many issues to hassle with any further. I'm testing Greenleafs new 70/30 blend and have been very pleased. Good luck!

I THOUGHT I had read here somewhere where a formula had changed with a wax and it was driving people CRAZY.....but could not remember which wax it was......leave it to me to buy it!!! Just what a newbie needs to deal with....like I am not confused enough!! LOL

Thanks for letting me know about your experience with it. It helps me alot.

Debbie - I am also anxious to try the new wax from Greenleaf - maybe I will have better luck with it! Thanks.

Just a little FYI, I order most of my waxes from Candle & Supplies. Their "wax chart" is off base, esp. w/ the J waxes. Also I tried working with the 223 b/c everyone raved about it & finally just gave up. I found that if the container I was testing it in didn't have a large opening or I smidged over 6% FO, I got soot city no matter the wick or the size :sad2: Finally gave up & went with J300 instead.

Just a little FYI, I order most of my waxes from Candle & Supplies. Their "wax chart" is off base, esp. w/ the J waxes. Also I tried working with the 223 b/c everyone raved about it & finally just gave up. I found that if the container I was testing it in didn't have a large opening or I smidged over 6% FO, I got soot city no matter the wick or the size :sad2: Finally gave up & went with J300 instead.

Thanks for the info! Wonder if it is too soon to give up....maybe post it in the classifieds for someone else who has already figured out what to do with it...LOL.......:rolleyes2

Thanks for the info! Wonder if it is too soon to give up....maybe post it in the classifieds for someone else who has already figured out what to do with it...LOL.......:rolleyes2
It at least deserves another pour to see what happens. You were definitely pouring much hotter than recommended. Try it at 150 into warmed jars. And that means warmed, not burning hot. 150 max for the jar temp and 125 is more like it. If the room is warm you could try leaving it out the cool, otherwise put a box over it. See what you get.

I agree with Top. J223 is (or was) a great wax. Pour much cooler....around 150-155 and you'll see a difference in wet-spots. Remember, wet-spots are simply shrinkage. The hotter you pour, the more it's going to shrink till it reaches it's "baselin" so to speak. By pouring cooler, you are much closer to that baseline and therefore should see less wet-spots.

Having said that, I too think they've messed with the formula. Sherrie (or anyone else) do you notice the current J223 being much softer than it was a couple years ago? I can actually pinch my thumb and forefinger thru a slab, it used to be a very solid wax :embarasse.

It at least deserves another pour to see what happens. You were definitely pouring much hotter than recommended. Try it at 150 into warmed jars. And that means warmed, not burning hot. 150 max for the jar temp and 125 is more like it. If the room is warm you could try leaving it out the cool, otherwise put a box over it. See what you get.

We did a second batch today...decided we were not going to throw the towel in on it yet!! LOL

Will let you all know how it works out.

Now we just wait and see.....:waiting: (Can you tell I can't stand WAITING! LOL)

Thanks everyone!

Hi I am very new to all this, but I just got some j223 and omg it is awesome, ok wait I am comparing it to ecosoya cb-135, I almost pulled my hair out with that. The j223 actually has a hot scent throw that I just could not get with the cb-135, never mind trying to wick it. Everything I have learned I have learned right here from you all, thanks! ya'll are great. :yay:

Having said that, I too think they've messed with the formula. Sherrie (or anyone else) do you notice the current J223 being much softer than it was a couple years ago? I can actually pinch my thumb and forefinger thru a slab, it used to be a very solid wax :embarasse.

I don't care what they claim, they have definitely messed with the formula! There are just too many people who have had the exact same problems. Yes, the current J223 is much softer and even "looks" different. I also almost always have to take a heat gun to the tops, which I used to only have to do occasionally (and usually because of user error, lol) The scent throw is still awesome, though, so I continue to put up with it (at least for now!)

Jane, like others have said, 185-190 is way too hot of a pour temp for that wax. I heat to 175, add color, cool to 160-165, add FO, cool to 150 and pour into heated jars. I then wrap towels around them so they will cool slowly. Keep us posted on how your second batch turns out!

You think the formulation changed after they got bought out? I haven't ordered none in since then, I had stocked up prior to that...but I wonder. I have enough to last for a little while longer...in the meantime I will be testing other waxes and maybe Top can give me a secret recipe to make my own container wax. :P

No...it was before they sold. I've had enough on hand for a year now, and what I have it waaaaaaay softer than what I was buying before that. I haven't had any issues with burning (knock on wood).....but it definitely sinks more and is softer.

For a long time I was having "sink hole issues" with the J223, but the last few cases have been fine. I think it's because I just kept playing with it until I came up with what works for me. I will never believe that they didn't change this wax because the difference was just too obvious.

I like this wax, so I didn't want to totally give up on it. I now pour at around 145 into CLEAN jars. I've found that I get very few wet spots now that I wash every jar before I use it!

For a long time I was having "sink hole issues" with the J223, but the last few cases have been fine. I think it's because I just kept playing with it until I came up with what works for me. I will never believe that they didn't change this wax because the difference was just too obvious.

I like this wax, so I didn't want to totally give up on it. I now pour at around 145 into CLEAN jars. I've found that I get very few wet spots now that I wash every jar before I use it!

Good point! Since these were just testers, I have not been cleaning the jars before pouring....I will definitely start doing that and see if it makes a difference.