NARS candles

Have you guys heard of the NARS brand of candles? My daughter received one as a gift for Christmas. They are supposed to be a paraffin free wax. (their words)

The wax feels almost like butter though. I doesn't feel like any soy or veg wax I have seen. I would love to get a hold of some of this wax to play with. If anyone knows about a wax with this consistency could you please let me know.

It seems to have a very low melt temp. And even cold it is very flexible (or kind of mushy). This wax has a great throw too - hot & cold.

An interesting thing about these candles is that they go for about $45 for a tumble glass size. They don't give the ounces.

It would be so disingenuous to call a gel candle paraffin-free but I guess you never know what companies might do. That Crisco speculation sounds plausible too. Some kind of partially hydrogenated oil base. What puzzles me about the description of these candles is how they figured the shipping qualities. What happens if the cartons aren't sitting right side up and get a little warm?

They almost look and feel like crisco, except they are more of a yellow buttery color, but may be that was color. They seem even softer than crisco really. Maybe they are the same wax as the comfort blend. Is the comfort blend wax available? Or can you only buy an already made candle?

They are definitely not gel. They are only sold at places like Sephora, Saks, and Nordstroms. That is my guess of why they cost so much.

Top, that shipping issue would make me really nervous too. I took some of my regular soy candles to AZ in the summer time and even in the air conditioning they were slushy and soft. These candles would end up a mess.

Confort Blend is a sticky paraffin, very creamy looking but oh what a mess to clean up. Don't think you could even rub on your fingers, to gooey. It says no paraffin but doesn't say veggie either. And the soy I use is a veggie shortening not a wax. Ha Ha I'm sitting on a fortune, all I have to do is raise my prices $60. a jar. What was I thinking?????

What wax are you using? Does it have the characteristics of NARS?

Not to steal your fortune - haha. I thought comfort blend was the one they say you can "moisturize your hands with while you burn your candle." BTW that is so rediculous, isn't it?

I looked it up because I had never heard of Nars before. A very fancy cosmetics company with only three candle scents. Their website says that each candle is composed of paraffin free wax enhanced with essential oils. Hmmmm....

Does the candle smell really good? It's awfully expensive; I for one would hate to burn it.:grin2:

Edited to add--every time I got comfort blend on my hands I was tempted to rub it in like lotion. It's so gooey that it's easy to forget it's wax!

Confort Blend?? Maybe what I had wasn't confort blend. The stuff I had looked like vaseline, came in a tub and was so messy to work with. Looked beautiful, creamy and soft but had a lot of soot. Thought it would be great in wickless candles but it was just too hard to clean up. But then again I'm use to soy, soap and water, you know, easy.

I was talking about GF 402, all soy shortening, although they have added a completely new wax division so it might be called wax. I use GF 435 now but still have some pure soy. The NARS candles must not be soy or veggie or I'm sure they would say.

Have you seen the ones that are 100% soy, 8 oz. poured in a Stainless Steel gravy bowl? Light for 5 minutes or so, put out and then pour on skin to use for a message. 3 Lightly scented & 1 no scent. $29.95 each . I'm on a hunt for gravy bowls now... OMG can you imagine only three scents?

Confort Blend?? Maybe what I had wasn't confort blend. The stuff I had looked like vaseline, came in a tub and was so messy to work with. Looked beautiful, creamy and soft but had a lot of soot. Thought it would be great in wickless candles but it was just too hard to clean up. But then again I'm use to soy, soap and water, you know, easy

That sounds like comfort blend. It's the consistency of thick Vaseline and it's really, REALLY MESSY.

Confort Blend?? Maybe what I had wasn't confort blend. The stuff I had looked like vaseline, came in a tub and was so messy to work with. Looked beautiful, creamy and soft but had a lot of soot. Thought it would be great in wickless candles but it was just too hard to clean up.
LOL, I think that WAS Vaseline. Or petrolatum to be exact. Normally you mix it with stuff.