so many questions... please help

latch

i spent 5 hrs straight last night reading and reading ...

i want to place an order to try some recipes i found and i have some questions..

-cocoa butter- deorderized, regular , or white

-grapeseed oil or grapeseed exract are they same or diff,

-beeswax- pearls, white, or yellow

-palm kernal, or palm oil same or different

-best way to color b&b , what is considered natural?

-preservatives, any particular

-alomond oil.. some sites say cosmetic grade which seems cheeper , is there a diff.

-coconut oil-fractionated, 76%,????which one does make a diff

-eo, fo--when a recipe calls for 8 drops of eo, do you sub for 8 drops of fo or more?

-some companies advertise eos and seem much cheeper than others, one says 100% eo does this mean that some eos are diluted.

sorry for all questions... just trying to spend my money wisely..

-one more question, whats a good down south company , i am in La

I will try to answer some of your questions:

-cocoa butter- deorderized, regular , or white: Regular has a chocolaty smell, deoderized means the smell has been taken out, white normally means that it's super filtered and in most cases ALL the chocolate smell is gone. It depends on if you want the chocolate smell or not.

-beeswax- pearls, white, or yellow The pastelies or pearls are easier to work with than the big chunks of wax. Yellow beeswax *unless otherwise listed* normally has a bit of a honey smell to it. White is refined, filtered, maybe even bleached. If you're making cosmetics you want to make sure your white beeswax is cosmetic grade.

-palm kernal, or palm oil same or different I think they're the same but I could be wrong.

-preservatives, any particular It depends on what product you're making, some are good for lotions and some are better for products with more oil content, Liquapar Optima and Pheonip are good ones.

-coconut oil-fractionated, 76%,????which one does make a diff 76% oil is solid at room temp, it melts at 76% It's great for lotion bars, soap and lots of other things. I've not used fractionated coconut oil but I think it's liquid form.

It takes a while to figure out all the ingredients - just keep reading and asking :)

grapeseed oil or grapeseed exract are they same or diff,

Grapeseed oil is an oil that can be used in many products, but it does have a shorter shelf life than many. Extract, also known as GSE, is different. It's an antioxident that can help extend shelflife of oils. Some will also claim it's a natural preservative, but many also don't believe it.

Completely different. Palm oil is similar to lard and tallow, but from the palm tree. A light gold to darker color. Palm kernal comes from a different part of the palm fruit - it's white and extremely hard. More like coconut. Palm kernal is also known as PKO and is good for bubbles, it's milder than coconut. Palm is a "hard" oil so it's good in soaping as part of your hard oils.

-preservatives, any particular Each preservative can have different usages and can be used for different types of formulas - those with more oil than water, those with more water than oil. Usually recipes will list the preservative used (or at least they should). There are some posts floating around with links to mfg sites...

Yup. Lots of different coconuts. The hard white ones you'll see as coconut 76, 92, 110, or something like that. Those are the melt points. Fractionated (FCO) is a liquid oil, more used for lotions and other products. The "hard" components have been separated out. The hard coconuts are common in soaps.

Good questions!

i spent 5 hrs straight last night reading and reading ...

i want to place an order to try some recipes i found and i have some questions..

-cocoa butter- deorderized, regular , or white

-grapeseed oil or grapeseed exract are they same or diff,

-beeswax- pearls, white, or yellow

-best way to color b&b , what is considered natural?

-preservatives, any particular

-alomond oil.. some sites say cosmetic grade which seems cheeper , is there a diff.

-eo, fo--when a recipe calls for 8 drops of eo, do you sub for 8 drops of fo or more?

-some companies advertise eos and seem much cheeper than others, one says 100% eo does this mean that some eos are diluted.

sorry for all questions... just trying to spend my money wisely..

-one more question, whats a good down south company , i am in La

Okay, Latch, I'm gonna try to do this, lol.

-cocoa butter- deorderized, regular , or white: it's all in what your want to do with it. I buy the regular so I can use it in whatever product I want. The deoderized doesn't have the heavy chocolate smell.

-grapeseed oil or grapeseed exract are they same or diff: Grapeseed oil and grapeseed extract are two different things. Some people use the extract as a preservative. In actuality, it's not. Tocopherol 50 is much better.

-beeswax- pearls, white, or yellow: Again, it's up to you and what you want in the appearance of your final product. The yellow, will give you an off yellowish appearance.

-palm kernal, or palm oil same or different: No, that are NOT the same.

Palm Kernel Oil/Flakes: This oil is commonly used in place of coconut to give the same incredible lather. It makes a very hard bar that is snow white in color. Palm kernel is commonly used in expensive luxury soaps. Palm Kernel oil will help firm a too soft soap recipe. Palm Kernel oil uses less lye than coconut oil and gives the same wonderful lather. You can use coconut and palm kernel together.

Palm Oil: Also known as vegetable tallow, it adds firmness to your bar soaps and gives a pale straw color too. It's used a lot as a filler in recipes.

-best way to color b&b , what is considered natural?: It depends on what your B&B product is that your making. Their are liquid colorants just make sure you read the Usage instructions. Some liquid colorants aren't recommended for CP soap. There are oxides, ultra marines and pigments which require a little practice to get the color you desire. The natural colorants would be using spices, herbs, and the like to obtain color (i.e: cocoa powder will color brown).

-preservatives, any particular: Again, it depends on the product you are going to make. Some require a certain pH level before adding, some are for oil based recipes only. Germall, Liqui Par and Phenonip are just a few that a lot of people use.

-alomond oil.. some sites say cosmetic grade which seems cheeper , is there a diff.: there is a difference in cosmetic grade. If it's for soap you can use either regular or cosmestic. The cosmetic if just more refined.

-coconut oil-fractionated, 76%,????which one does make a diff: Fractionated is more suitable for lotions and cremes. 76 degree is a hard oil that will melt at 76 degrees and is used more in soaps.

-eo, fo--when a recipe calls for 8 drops of eo, do you sub for 8 drops of fo or more? EO's are more concentrated and can have harmful effects if used in higher than recommended quantities. EO's demand serious research and knowledge to use them safely, IMHO. You can test your recipe to see if you use an FO in place of an EO if you need to increase the amount. Again, it depends on the recipe and the FO you are using.

-some companies advertise eos and seem much cheeper than others, one says 100% eo does this mean that some eos are diluted. : Some EO's are produced from cold pressed processing and some are from distillation. The more expensive the EO, generally, the higher the quality.

The information I've given you is more of a cliff note type answer. Some answers have long detailed explanations that would be impossible to post here. Bunny, Carmen, Lizzy, Tanya, Robin, Sara, Elizabeth are all well versed and hopefully they will chime in with some added info to help you out. Good luck!